Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

group hug!
incubator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

violentgreen, I know how you feel :) I felt the exact same way the first time I wanted to use gentoo. Simply cuz I use adsl usb modem and not cable.
Though I found a workaround by dl the mostly needed files in windows (you can search this forum for more info in the quick search) and then copying them in gentoo. And even though the first time wasa pain in the arse, it is well worth it, and now I am even more endearoured and in love with it ;)
I'd say, give it a chance and when things get stressy, give it a rest for some time to cool off, if you have a problem, these ppl here will be happy to help you.
(hell, it even drove me up to the point I completely want to ban winblowz from my pc :p)
and about the issue of usign gentoo with smallband: when using an old phone modem it is not advisable due to price.
I myself use adsl, but have a transfer limit. After that I am thrown on 64k isdn (wich is also very slow) but i have to pay nothing additional for it. So downloading packages or other things when I exceeded that limit doesnt hurt me.
BUT: for some reason I just cant get any better BW speeds in gentoo (not even the driver developer understands why, but hey, I learned to live with it :p)

but one thing I really love about gentoo is portage :)
youl find (imo) nothing better then it.
Lunchy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raid517 wrote:

Indeed on the whole gentoo users have been pretty much a breed apart; always welcoming, always helpful, never critical of n00bs, ready to answer questions that others often might feel were trivial and generally enthusiastic towards the goal of popularising Linux to the masses.

Yea, I find this to be pretty darn awesome. I've always heard about how the linux community is made up of elitist snobs who'll flame you at the first sign of a newbie question, and that always kinda scared me, but I have to say the gentoo community is quite awesome. :D

I've just recently put my Windows XP machine in the secondary possition in my life and placed my Gentoo box in first and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm learning so much so quickly, it great! It's a great community and I'm proud to try and be a part of it. 8)
violentgreen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incubator wrote:
violentgreen, I know how you feel :) I felt the exact same way the first time I wanted to use gentoo. Simply cuz I use adsl usb modem and not cable.
Though I found a workaround by dl the mostly needed files in windows (you can search this forum for more info in the quick search) and then copying them in gentoo. And even though the first time wasa pain in the arse, it is well worth it, and now I am even more endearoured and in love with it ;)
I'd say, give it a chance and when things get stressy, give it a rest for some time to cool off, if you have a problem, these ppl here will be happy to help you.
(hell, it even drove me up to the point I completely want to ban winblowz from my pc :p)
and about the issue of usign gentoo with smallband: when using an old phone modem it is not advisable due to price.
I myself use adsl, but have a transfer limit. After that I am thrown on 64k isdn (wich is also very slow) but i have to pay nothing additional for it. So downloading packages or other things when I exceeded that limit doesnt hurt me.
BUT: for some reason I just cant get any better BW speeds in gentoo (not even the driver developer understands why, but hey, I learned to live with it :p)

but one thing I really love about gentoo is portage :)
youl find (imo) nothing better then it.

Yeah, I'm not giving up. I just had a few gripes I wanted to get off my chest. Right now the plan is to drag my laptop over to a nearby university and plug it up and downlaod the packages I need from there. I'ts just a matter of making a list of all the packages I need and searching for them.

I am not completely dissatisfied with gentoo. Just a little disappointed.
On a side note, I am also not completely anti-microsoft as it is so popular to be here. I use what ever OS is best for what I am doing at the time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: