View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goya
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: gnome and dialout (modem) Reply with quote

hi there,

i am just switching from xp / outlook express to gentoo / gnome / evolution on my acer travelmate notebook. until now everything went really good, even got my realtek 8139 nic and the winmodem working! :)

enough blah-blah, here my question:
is there a good & working dialout-tool (& ebuild) like kdial for gnome available? currently i am only able to connect by using wvdial before starting gnome. the latest thread i found about that is from january and this one was quite confusing...

thanks for helping in advance.
X
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the gnome modem panel applet. (I'm not at my computer at the moment, so my memory may be slightly incorrect at what I'm about to say..)

In the gnome modem applet preferences, you have to go to the third tab and change the device from /dev/modem to whatever your modem is, e.g. /dev/ttyS0 (if you have /dev/modem correctly linking to your modem you can skip this).
    Code:
    device: /dev/ttyS0

Next, you need to change the connect/disconnect commands in the gnome modem applet preferences. Change "pppon" to "wvdial &" and change "pppoff" to "killall wvdial"
    Code:
     connect: wvdial &
    disconnect: killall wvdial

If you are able to run wvdial as a normal user, you can now simply click on the button on the gnome modem panel applet and you should connect to the net. If you log in as root to run wvdial, do this next section...

Code:
emerge sudo

visudo

When you run visudo, you will be editing the sudo config file. You need to enable yourself to run sudo without a password. Read the comments in the config file and it will explain how--I am not home so I can't tell you what to do here, unforunately. I think it is something along the lines of allowing users in the wheel group to run sudo without a password, then add yourself to the wheel group.

To add yourself to the wheel group
Code:
textedit /etc/group

Where textedit is whatever text editor you like to use, e.g. vim. Find the line beginning with "wheel" and add your user name to the end; if there is already one or more usernames listed on that line, put a comma before your username when you add it.

Now go back to the gnome panel applet preferences and change the two connect/disconnect commands to
Code:
connect:  sudo wvdial &
disconnect: sudo killall wvdial
[/code]

Finally, you should be able to click on the gnome modem applet button to connect to the net.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: