View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whaity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Problems combiling kde-cvs Reply with quote

Hello, I'm compiling kde-cvs and I get this problem when compiling

less.la -rpath /usr/kde/cvs/lib -module -avoid-version -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/kde/cvs/lib kwireless.lo kwirelesswidget.lo linuxwirelesswidget.lo propertytable.lo propertytablebase.lo -liw -lkdeui
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -liw
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libkwireless.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdenetwork-5/work/kdenetwork/wifi/kwireless'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdenetwork-5/work/kdenetwork/wifi'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdenetwork-5/work/kdenetwork'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdenetwork-5 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 137, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

I get the same problem when I compile kde3.2a2.
Any ideas? Seems to be something to do with the wireless, which I do have on my vaio.

Thanks

whaity
Imrahil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whaity,

Could you give a little more information please? Versions of portage, kernel, what if any wireless modules you load, kernel wireless extensions enabled? First thing I would check would be make sure you have wireless extensions enabled in your kernel.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.Extensions.html
Quote:
By default, the wireless extensions are disabled, and users need to enable the CONFIG_NET_RADIO option in the kernel configuration (this is the option which enables the choice of radio interfaces in the network driver list).

The tools are quite simple and so should be able to compile in any Linux system provided that the kernel supports wireless extensions.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=88267&highlight=wireless+extensions

I am using the Atmel wireless USB adapter (a compaq actually)
http://at76c503a.berlios.de/
It took a while, but I got this working under 2.6. When I tried to emerge kde-cvs, the same error you got occured. It seems autoconf found iwlib (the wireless extensions) but when it was compiling it has problems with the "-liw" parameter. Googling didn't find much help. What I did was edited the configure.in.in file in /usr/portage/distfiles/cvs-src/kde/kdenetwork and edited out the wifi section. Don't have the file right now, just search for wifi and delete the if block around the configure option. (should be easy to find) Now kdenetwork won't build the wifi stuff. Not a total solution, but at least kdenetwork will compile.

I think in my case the error was occuring because I was using this external kernel module, somewhat buggy and not included in any major kernel source packages. I have tried compiling kdecvs under my 2.4 kernel and it compiles fine. Not sure if this is worthy of a bug report.

PS, what kind of wireless card are you using and which driver/kernel ?

Edit: Checked the file that I edited. /usr/portage/distfiles/cvs-src/kde/kdenetwork/configure.in.in
Code:
if test "$kde_libiw_installed" = "no"; then
        DO_NOT_COMPILE="$DO_NOT_COMPILE wifi"
fi

Replace with:
Code:
DO_NOT_COMPILE="$DO_NOT_COMPILE wifi"

Try it and let me know.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: