View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarrett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: fluxbox slit script Reply with quote

I've been trying to create a script to start all of my slit apps in fluxbox, but I can't seem to get it all figured out. I've never been much of a scripter and I haven't done any real scripting in a couple of years, but I'd like to figure this one out.

I currently run about 5 or 6 apps in the slit and I have to start each separately as it is now. I was trying to write a bash shell script and then execute by making an entry in the fluxbox menu config file. I got the entry to work but the script doesn't. It'll start all the apps but they will be out of order. (Sorry I'm picky.) Figuring out the script isn't the hard part though. I would also like to have it run when I login without having to start it manually.

Here's what I have currently for the actual script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# Custom script to start programs for the Slit
# in Fluxbox
#

/usr/bin/wmCalClock &
/usr/bin/wmpager &
/usr/bin/wmcms &
/usr/bin/wmifs &
/usr/bin/wmbattery &

My main question is how do I keep the apps from starting out of order? My other question, of course, is how do I get this script to run when fluxbox starts? I'm open to any suggestions about different ways to go about implementing this, and I'm open to criticism on my syntax. Its been a while since I've tried to do anything like this and even back then I didn't do anything extraordinary.

I used to have company and title here, but I can't do that any more... I guess that's what I get for selling out to an evil corporation. ;)
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluxbox supports a file (~/.fluxbox/slitlist) that remembers the order of things in the slit. Simply load everything you want into the slit, quit fluxbox and edit this file, rearranging things as necessary. Then restart fluxbox and load those things again.
cram
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ordering of apps in the slit is determined by the file ~/.fluxbox/slitlist and rather than writing your own script you probably just want to add the dockapps to your ~/.xinitrc file.

For more info read the fluxbox FAQ
and also the dev FAQ if you're running the development release of fluxbox
jarrett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't thought about the .xinitrc file, good point. I'm not sure why, but its not reading my slitlist file to determine where apps belong. Is there any particular permissions that need to be set to allow the file to work properly? I'm using fluxbox version 0.9.6_pre9. Could the version be the problem?

I used to have company and title here, but I can't do that any more... I guess that's what I get for selling out to an evil corporation. ;)
jtp755
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am also having this exact same problem on pre9. i have wmupmon, wmcpuload, wmmemload, and wmnetload all in my .xinitrc file. i have tried them together and with an extra line inbetween them. still when i start flux they arent in the order they are specified in my slitlist file. also when they are running and i exit flux i get a bunch of Warning:: Failed to read WM protocols. im not sure what all is going on. any help would be appreciated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: