Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechris wrote:
portage is bad with gcc.
1.) some packages won't compile with gcc3.3. this happened recently with a perl package where -fweb wasn't stripped from the ebuild's settings... while I noticed this, i knew that -fweb is a gcc3.4 command. the end user should not need to memorize compiler directives.

while this might be true i seriously don't hope this is a critic to portage. these are bugs which go to bugzilla.
thechris wrote:

2.) some pacakages won't compile with gcc3.4. others do not compile with gcc3.5 (4.0). thus any update would require 2 passes, 1 for gcc 3.4 one for gcc 3.3. this is not handeled by portage.

i don't understand you guys. everyone wants an up-to-date, fast and flexible distro. wham! there's gentoo. now you run everything on the bleeding edge with portage overlays and ACCEPT_KEYWORDS flag set and wonder why some things are broken? com'on, name a distro which is as up-to-date as gentoo. problems come along with this attitude and in fact i wish portage wouldn't move quite as fast and gets even more stable. but just because you have a fast car with a great potential doesn't mean you have to drive too fast every day, doesn't it? if it does, well, then you're using the wrong distro, because gentoo gives what it is asked for (i suggest apt if you don't like portage because you literally can't tweak a thing with apt).
thechris wrote:

3.) cflags do not coexist well. switching from gcc3.4 to gcc3.3 requires different flags. this is currently not supported.
4.) no package.cflags with set, append, or remove.

i don't know why you use different gcc's but that's probably a question a non-power user asks - which leads to the question: what do you mean with "power users"? btw: this could be easily fixed with some different config files with you sure could do yourself or provide a solution.
thechris wrote:

there are also few GUI tools for gentoo. some people use a GUI...

what the heck does that mean? simply because someone writes an application which simplifies the life of others means a distro loses a so called "status"? do you suggest a community which prevents certain applications in order to hold a "status" you call "power users"? why are you even talking about such a thing like a "status"? this is an open source community, not a thing like a stupid teeny gang "we're so cool get out of here". we work together. dot
dat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlinkEye wrote:

thechris wrote:

there are also few GUI tools for gentoo. some people use a GUI...

what the heck does that mean? simply because someone writes an application which simplifies the life of others means a distro loses a so called "status"? do you suggest a community which prevents certain applications in order to hold a "status" you call "power users"? why are you even talking about such a thing like a "status"? this is an open source community, not a thing like a stupid teeny gang "we're so cool get out of here". we work together. dot

Take a deep breath... I believe thechris was just saying that there are "few GUI tools" meaning that there are not that many GUI tools available, despite the fact that "some people use a GUI". It didn't have anything to do with an attack on gentoo status.

in a world without fences, who needs gates?
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise that most of these problems would be fixed if people posted bug reports? You say it doesn't work for you? x86 or ~x86? If it's in stable, did you file a bug report? Did you?
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dat wrote:
Take a deep breath... I believe thechris was just saying that there are "few GUI tools" meaning that there are not that many GUI tools available, despite the fact that "some people use a GUI". It didn't have anything to do with an attack on gentoo status.

i took a deep breath, and yes, it could be he meant it that way (i don't belief it yet)
dat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoontje wrote:
You do realise that most of these problems would be fixed if people posted bug reports? You say it doesn't work for you? x86 or ~x86? If it's in stable, did you file a bug report? Did you?

Agreed. I find myself doing the same thing. Rather than submitting a bug, I'll just throw a message up in the forums to see if anyone else is having similar problems.

I can't speak for other users, but I know the reason I do it is because a lot of times I don't know if I'm hitting a true bug or a user/config error. So rather than file a non-bug in bugzilla, I'd rather just browse the forums.

evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My overall impression of portage is a positive one. Prior to this I was running Mandrake and the packaging system thereon sucked. I have a redhat machine in my office and, well, it's a big pain to keep up to date and install new stuff given the whole dependency mess.

Anyway, I have found that reporting bugs in portage is a guaranteed way to get them resolved quickly and easily.

Best,

Alex
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dat wrote:
racoontje wrote:

Agreed. I find myself doing the same thing. Rather than submitting a bug, I'll just throw a message up in the forums to see if anyone else is having similar problems.

I can't speak for other users, but I know the reason I do it is because a lot of times I don't know if I'm hitting a true bug or a user/config error. So rather than file a non-bug in bugzilla, I'd rather just browse the forums.

If it isn't bleeding obvious user error, post a bug report anyway. People will try to reproduce it, if it can't be reproduced, it gets thrown away.
dat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlinkEye wrote:
dat wrote:

i took a deep breath, and yes, it could be he meant it that way (i don't belief it yet)

Who knows... I just like to think that people say what they mean when they say it (or post it?).

Therefore by saying "there are also few GUI tools for gentoo. some people use a GUI..."
he didn't actually mean "there are also a few GUI tools for gentoo. some people actually use a GUI???"

But, only time will tell. :wink:

And I will stop being OT.....
wait for it
NOW!

DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reeks of user error. So far, every problem I've had with Gentoo was explained by me not paying attention and forgetting to do something.
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrWoland wrote:
This thread reeks of user error. So far, every problem I've had with Gentoo was explained by me not paying attention and forgetting to do something.

i second that. i add errors which gentoo/portage can't do much about like sound problems with alsa/arts or overall kde problems. but hey, these problems i have with another distro too
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had really few problems with Portage itself.

I do run ~amd64 and I expect that some packages fails to install, fails during compile etc. Some packages will break other packages. that is the reason why it is marked ~amd64 and as a user you need to be aware of what you are doing.

One of the posters here complained about breaking stuff when using gcc 3.5,what do you expect? It's in active development at the moment and if you mess around with gcc 3.5, i expect that you know what you are doing. If you don't run x86 or amd64 or whatever stabel arch you are on and not the testing flags.

You get what you ask for.

I always use 'emerge -u --deep world' and sometimes that fails or packages do not compile, but I don't get upset because it is expected.

I think Portage have so much other package systems are missing and from what I can see, it's a very lliving thing that gets extended and improved all the time.

Devs: Keep up the good work!

Erik
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoontje wrote:
If it isn't bleeding obvious user error, post a bug report anyway. People will try to reproduce it, if it can't be reproduced, it gets thrown away.

i think you over-estimate the man-power available to be testing throw-away bugs on the gentoo bugzilla.

(checkitout, three dash words in one sentence. kickass.)

i like portage. it sure beats the pants off of yum at least. *shudder*
blackhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage is a great feature. I have been using Gentoo for more than half a year and I have only had problems because of myself, or because of KDE over-taxing my system and causing seg-faults. If I want something then I just

Code:
emerge search

or if I cannot emerge something by simply saying emerge, because of a lousy internet connection, then I add the fetch option (-f) and it keeps trying to fetch it until it gets a good one.
Nz_boy_2004
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rekon portage is kick ass keep up the good work guys, of all the distros ive tryed im abit lyk larry the cow i found one i really like :D, gentoo does its job super well its worth the little extra time emergeing programs saves so much hassle.

THANK YOU GENTOO TEAM.

BTW, Dont dog portage it doesnt cost you anything like winslows and if you have a problem just ask in a forum and report the problem how do you think they fix these problems magic.
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

missed this for a while.

the -fweb issue IS a portage issue because the package made it to a stable arch -- x86. this should not happen.

the part about GCC was an observation i had. By power user, i mean a person who uses or tweaks every part of the OS. portage has no package.cflags or automated gcc switching. so there is no built in config file to modify. you have to write a program to add these featuers to portage. this has some issues because you don't control portage, and tomorrow the devs might decide to chage the output -- now there is a useflag* to show whats changed. this might break scripts that search for [a-zA-Z0-9\.\/\-].

I've had a lot of issues with "stable" packages failing to compile on the "stable" compiler. it seems the testing packages (~amd64 ~x86) are more stable...

my complaint about gcc3.5 was part of the complaint, not the whole thing. i can see where a user may want to use gcc3.5, gcc3.4, and gcc3.3 for different apps. but doing so breaks the ability to update... I actually implemented this feature in a script once. the script probably won't work anymore...
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechris wrote
Quote:
I actually implemented this feature in a script once. the script probably won't work anymore...

Hmm, it happends if somthing is under development that things change. If there were no changes then you would have no improvement. And you could adjust youre script to a new output easily if you commented youre code sufficently ;)

I switched completle now to a stable gentoo and I had no problems so far. the only isue i have is that some updates dont work when I use Opengl of nvidia. I have to switch to the x11 from Xorg first. But thats a smaller issue.

racoontje wrote
Quote:

This produce a lot of sensles Bug reports. I believe that asking the Community for help first is more effective. You can try to find out if it is realy a bug, and maybe you find it with the help. Then you can file a precise bugreport and maybe saying what gone wrong and if it is reproduce able. You know what to write and heped in debugging.
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there could be some thought to backwards compatibility.

example:
GOOD: windows98 to windowME -- the folder view default changed. if you were unhappy with the change, the option to revert was easy to find in the configuration panel of explorer.
BAD: gnome2.4 to gnome2.6 -- the folder view defauly changed. the option was to revery was taken out of the config panel and placed into a gconf program that started up by saying you should not use gconf...

obviously gentoo is not as insane as gnome. but it has a history of "why?!" changes:
1.) dhcpcd no longer in stages. why?
2.) short atoms no longer allowed in package.keywords. why?
3.) nvidia 6106 goes from ~x86 to -x86. why?
4.) stage1 compile errors. why? (this depends on time. the unstable ebuilds shouldn't make it to x86)
5.) nptl install changed.

in the end i decided to stop making stuff for use with gentoo. it needs some standards first.
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I HATE Portage Reply with quote

Pythonhead wrote:
jarek wrote:
... Just look in the forums. The typical question is "I can't emerge xx", the not so unusual answer is "remerge yy". Then the followup "Why do I have to remerge yy, it's allready emerged". Answer "Don't know". ...

A part of the problem is that people don't take the time to report the bugs where they should (bugzilla). They'd get fixed a lot quicker if people posted them there instead of (or as well as) in the forums.

That's wrong. People have no wish to report bugs, cause it leads to nothing!

How long on this forum people discussed, that search function in it sucks???
And? It getting only worse and worse...

People say, that Google search works much better for that forum.
And even this was not possible to implement.

Moreover someone try to explain that it is not true... That the search works well.

The same about portage. The concept itself is wrong!!!
It just not possible to put portage into the file system!
Because of very easy reason. Certain program could easily related to many
groups. Who has rights to decide, that game for KDE have to be stored
in KDE dir and not in the Games dir??? Etc...

DB provides correct concept easily!

And that is what everyone able to see just by looking at the portage tree.

If we continue with wrong dependences with missed things, that for example
if you have two packages installed only last one will follow needs to be rebuild
by updating its dependences..

An example from yesterday.
psycopq-1.1.21 depends on libpq
if you update libpq nobody will update your psycopq and it won't work.

Speed... That just crazy. Could not imaging that it is possible to do so slow...

So I'm waiting for the fork of Gentoo.
man
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be dumb, gentoo is about innovation and forward thinking. i've been using gentoo since 2001 and still do. problems?? of course! solving them is called advancement of knowledge. gentoo was source based from the start. stop your whining bitches.
gentoo ain't about you the individual.
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innovations?

Might be possible to ask of a list of innovations? The actual one.

I've been using Gentoo since 2004, cause have not found anything better.
And what? Does it mean no improvements should be done or what?

Gentoo is source based. It's well known. And? Don't get your point.

So, please next time think what you want to say. And don't write just bla bla bla...
man
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

innovation!! c'mon now! the innovation was real choice. i always appreciated 20 calculators on red hat that i didn't want. there is nothing on my gentoo computer that i don't want. gentoo introduced a whole new way of doing things.. that's innovation. gentoo polarised a heap of people unhappy with linux.. that's innovation. gentoo brought together a bunch of people in it not for profit.. that's innovation. i've tried red hat, suse, mandrake, yellow dog, slackware, debian and a few of it's spikes and ubuntu recently and a host of others that i can't remember and don't exist anymore. you oughta broaden your horizons. try the rest then come back and whinge with knowledge. be part of the movement instead of cracking the shits. the source based thing attracted an awful lot of people because it was attractive to the binary hurt people.
lol, i visit the forums every couple of months.. is it frustrating that i'll never read your reply?
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sorry if all what you know is redhat!

Look at Debian at least. All normal distributions provides install any packages of your choice.
There is no advantages at all here.

Gentoo introduced nothing! Portes was copied from FreeBSD and got the name Portage.
They just rewrite it in Python.

Gentoo as a polarizator.. well, you have to talk to physicists about it... ;-)

I don't need to try the rest. As I told you already there is nothing better then Gentoo overthere. But Gentoo sucks. It could be much much better. And that is why it isn't ready for production yet. That means it is not a mainstream distributive. That means nobody will certificate important software for Gentoo, like they do it for SuSE and RedHat.
etc etc etc...
But if you think further, you will see, that real advantage Gentoo can get from
Business installations, cause in that case problem of compiling any new packages goes
to the background. You have to do it once for all 100 or 1000 machines you have...
But the advantage of adjustability will stay! So every company could use any programs compiled in the way they need and easily integrate their own products into it.

But nobody see all these features here. And the problem is - politics. There are people which rule Gentoo and don't want to let it go different way they want.

At the end you was not able to give a list of innovations I've been asked for.
Sorry, but there is nothing here we could talk about, till you will present me the list.

P.S. I didn't got it as an offense. It is just a discussion.

Last edited by lefsha on Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a friendly reminder; don't expect a distribution to revolve around your ideas and schemes. Your best bet is to implement them yourself, if the developers won't adopt it, make a split-off. As been told to me many times, don't complain until you got the code.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenax wrote:
don't complain until you got the code.
++
Are these criticisms all still valid in any case? I appreciate the one about speed (updating the cache seems to be getting slower..)
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Ubuntu all Distros doing a lot to keep their fans with them.
SO basicly the community improves everywhere. Gentoo had the most innovative Community when I joined. Today, Gentoo is innovative in supporting. No other distribution tries to offically support that many applications. Of course you get them on other distribution, but offical support is somewhat ending fast.

I think you can call that innovative. :)

Well, for those that realy think Portage sucks, portage has now competition: Paludis.
There is also a wiki entry.

Havent tried it yet, thought. I will do that, but havent time to check it out atm :P
It looks wonderfull thought...

Quote:
But Gentoo sucks. It could be much much better. And that is why it isn't ready for production yet. That means it is not a mainstream distributive. That means nobody will certificate important software for Gentoo, like they do it for SuSE and RedHat.
etc etc etc...
But if you think further, you will see, that real advantage Gentoo can get from
Business installations, cause in that case problem of compiling any new packages goes
to the background. You have to do it once for all 100 or 1000 machines you have...
But the advantage of adjustability will stay! So every company could use any programs compiled in the way they need and easily integrate their own products into it.

You know that Redhat and SuSE are paying for getting certificated?
Even Debian has no certificates...
(I think there is a Deian based distribution that tries to finance certs for this but I do not know for sure)

Technicly Gentoo has a lot to offer for Companies. The truce is that Company wants Guarantees that things work, and in trouble they can blame someone else. At least thats my experience in that field. (yea I know they say the reason is that you have to ensure somewhat that you do not have to sort out troubles and so demanding certifications and support fro the company selling the Distribution. But you sorting troubles anyways, if you know what I mean...)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: