View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liathus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that when you have a block you have to manually unmerge the packaging that is causing the block first. Thats the case I was refering to.

krunk wrote:
Liathus wrote:
In my opinion It would be great if the old package didn't get unmerged until the new one was built.

I'm pretty sure that is the way it works. Does for me as far as I've payed attention.
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I have noticed that now that you mention it. You could possibly get around that by doing an:

emerge -B foo-1.0

This would build the package only but not install. Than if the compile went ok, unmerge block and emerge the binary.

Haven't tried it, but it should work since -B is for building packages independantly of world.
jarek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah portage sucks, but what doesn't? Reply with quote

Mystilleef wrote:
Clearly, we don't appreciate what we have until we've lost it. One question to you jared. How does moving to Red Hat solve the problem? Good luck on your exodus.

Even with basic RPM, when I find packages to satisfiy the dependencies, it installs and runs (save for bugs in the packages but that is not what we are talking about here). If I'm to do it with gentoo, forget portage and do it somehow manually. Considering how central portage is to gentoo, it reflects badly on the whole distribution. I guess it all depends what bugs you most, looking for packages to resolve dependencies or downtime and discomfort to users. I personally hate to create inconveniences for my users.

/jarek
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah portage sucks, but what doesn't? Reply with quote

jarek wrote:
Mystilleef wrote:
Clearly, we don't appreciate what we have until we've lost it. One question to you jared. How does moving to Red Hat solve the problem? Good luck on your exodus.

Even with basic RPM, when I find packages to satisfiy the dependencies, it installs and runs (save for bugs in the packages but that is not what we are talking about here). If I'm to do it with gentoo, forget portage and do it somehow manually. Considering how central portage is to gentoo, it reflects badly on the whole distribution. I guess it all depends what bugs you most, looking for packages to resolve dependencies or downtime and discomfort to users. I personally hate to create inconveniences for my users.

/jarek

You do realize that RPM has exactly the same thing - they call them conflicts, not blockers - and you have to solve it the same way, right?

Just so you're aware of that.
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*.rpm == dependency resolution nightmare

*.ebuild == sigh or relief

just my experience

I readily admit, this may be due to my lack of expertise in the .rpm system. However, that's exactly what's so nice about portage....I don't have to be a portage expert for it to 'just work'.
theBear
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarek wrote:

----snipeth----

Actually not, not specifically. The question was, if I may attempt to find the core of it, if portage allows the admin to keep the system fully available during rebuilds/emerge or not. The example (this time) was blockers. Do we have to unmerge them, break apps that depend on them or is it a bug or is it RTFM?

/jarek

I've spent a fair amount of time over the last 34 years applying updates to computer systems. The one rule that has always applied was never do upgrades to a running production system without having first tried it on an exact copy of the production system running on a test box and never upgrade any operating system in multiuser mode.

I know of no Linux distro that provides true full availibility during software upgrades.

Cheers,
jarek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah portage sucks, but what doesn't? Reply with quote

avenj wrote:

You do realize that RPM has exactly the same thing - they call them conflicts, not blockers - and you have to solve it the same way, right?

You said it your self (or did I not understand you correctly) that I have to unmerge blockers, then merge whatever is needed. This is the difference. I realize that there will be conflicts. Software development has to go its own path. But when I'm trying to follow that path with gentoo, my system is not 100% available since unmerging blockers breaks apps for the duration of the recompile of new packages. In a rpm-based system, I have to deal with the same problem (and even more often) but my users won't see it. They will be able to use the system as allways, 100% of the time.

/jarek
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't Protage just print:

A package is being blocked. Do you want Portage to fix this automatically? y/n [y]

And then Portage does all the work instead of forcing the user to build everything before the block, then unmerge the blocker then emerge the nev version of the library or whatever it is that is supposed to be emerged next.

Since there seams that there is a standard way to fix blocks why not just make portage do it? I really don't get that.

Anybody who doesn't trust portage with fixing blocks can just answer no or change the default (ask + def. Y) into something else (ask + def N, don't ask + def. Y, don't ask + def. N) or something. Can't be too hard to implement.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah portage sucks, but what doesn't? Reply with quote

jarek wrote:
avenj wrote:

You said it your self (or did I not understand you correctly) that I have to unmerge blockers, then merge whatever is needed. This is the difference. I realize that there will be conflicts. Software development has to go its own path. But when I'm trying to follow that path with gentoo, my system is not 100% available since unmerging blockers breaks apps for the duration of the recompile of new packages. In a rpm-based system, I have to deal with the same problem (and even more often) but my users won't see it. They will be able to use the system as allways, 100% of the time.

/jarek

What's the difference? With RPM, if you have a conflict you have to uninstall the installed package and then install whatever you were trying to install.

I think it'd be great to have an optional feature to not unmerge until the new package is built when dealing with blockers. Maybe you should file a feature request bug? It's not going to get done otherwise...
jarek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah portage sucks, but what doesn't? Reply with quote

avenj wrote:

What's the difference? With RPM, if you have a conflict you have to uninstall the installed package and then install whatever you were trying to install.

I think it'd be great to have an optional feature to not unmerge until the new package is built when dealing with blockers. Maybe you should file a feature request bug? It's not going to get done otherwise...

Time is the difference. Hours versus seconds more specifically.
During seconds, the users don't even have time to realize the packages got swaped. If they have to wait for hours, they will. I'm being practical here. Gentoo being a source based system ought to deal with this problem since it's source based nature introduces this problem.

/Jarek
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah portage sucks, but what doesn't? Reply with quote

jarek wrote:
avenj wrote:

During seconds, the users don't even have time to realize the packages got swaped. If they have to wait for hours, they will. I'm being practical here. Gentoo being a source based system ought to deal with this problem since it's source based nature introduces this problem.

/Jarek

Why can't you build binary packages on another machine and install them on the production machine? I don't like compiling anything on production machines - it's RAM and CPU cycles that could be used for serving.

I alreaady told you you can file a feature request bug. I'm not going to file it for you. If you're just looking to complain instead of being constructive, please tell me straight out so I don't spend more time reading this thread. I don't intend to be harsh, but frankly I have a lot to do that doesn't involve keeping up here, and your subject line and attitude have indicated that you're looking more to complain about something than try to get the functionality you want added.
jarek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Yeah portage sucks, but what doesn't? Reply with quote

avenj wrote:

Why can't you build binary packages on another machine and install them on the production machine? I don't like compiling anything on production machines - it's AM and CPU cycles that could be used for serving.

Only have one server where I work or where i occasionally do support, only one server there too.

avenj wrote:

I alreaady told you you can file a feature request bug. I'm not going to file it for you. If you're just looking to complain instead of being constructive, please tell me straight out so I don't spend more time reading this thread. I don't intend to be harsh, but frankly I have a lot to do that doesn't involve keeping up here, and your subject line and attitude have indicated that you're looking more to complain about something than try to get the functionality you want added.

I'm sorry, didn't see the comment on filing a feature request bug. Will do that right away (at least after a few hours of sleep). About being constructive, I was at least trying to suggest a solution in this thread. I have to admitt i love an argument but, are you sure I'm the one having an attitude. :wink:

Regards,
Jarek
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I openly admit I have a bad attitude ;-)

(I really don't intend to. I just have a decided lack of patience.)
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Yeah portage sucks, but what doesn't? Reply with quote

jarek wrote:

/Jarek
Well, now I have to ask. Did you not even bother to read my last post? I was actually trying to give you a possible solution there. In other words, if you don't have another machine to build binary packages on you can do it on the same machine, It just might require you to enter five or six commands rather than one. Then again it might even be easier than I thought. There is the --buildpkgonly option for emerge.
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krunk wrote:
True, I have noticed that now that you mention it. You could possibly get around that by doing an:

emerge -B foo-1.0

This would build the package only but not install. Than if the compile went ok, unmerge block and emerge the binary.

Haven't tried it, but it should work since -B is for building packages independantly of world.

I mentioned that earlier, I gave it a dry run on xft (blocked by xfree >=4.3). You can build the package fine with one modification: emerge --nodeps -B xft.

Of course, there may be other problems with this method.

*edit* this works too emerge --nodeps -e foo

than emerge -C foos_block
jarek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Yeah portage sucks, but what doesn't? Reply with quote

PowerFactor wrote:
Well, now I have to ask. Did you not even bother to read my last post? I was actually trying to give you a possible solution there. In other words, if you don't have another machine to build binary packages on you can do it on the same machine, It just might require you to enter five or six commands rather than one. Then again it might even be easier than I thought. There is the --buildpkgonly option for emerge.

I did actually. Ebuild does not seem to do the dependency checking that seems necessary. If you do it, it won't complain but the package will not compile. About "--buildpkgonly". From the man page, "This comes with the caveat that all build time dependencies must already be emerged on the system". Hence, this make no diffrence.

A believe avenj has hinted the way to the "solution" in this later posts. And I'm working :wink: at it right now.

/jarek
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, I am not alone! Sorry for not reading through all of the last 3 pages but it's true, portage does suck. (Although as someone else pointed out it sucks a tad less than anything else currently avalable). At first I set out to with total faith in portage, innocently believing I could/should trust it implicitly.

However I have found that doing soo tends to break more things than it fixes. If you do a regular (once a week) emerge -u system and porage tells you there are xyz packages that need updating, then those unfamiliar with the limitations of portage (as I originally was) might be tempted to go for broke in order to keep their system up to date. After all this is what Red Hat's Uptodate does, it tells you when there are new packages and when they need updating

So all things considered and given that no real description of the purpose of these updates is supplied (are they security updates, do I need them, how do I know if I need them or not?) the temmptation is to go with the updates and hope the developers fully understand the concequences of how the updates are likely to perform accross multiple platforms and over a variety of configurations.

All too often however this has seemed to very much not be the case, with packages - often still of an extremely dangerous alpha/beta nature being marked as suitable for general release.

After having seen twice now portage literally kill it's own gentoo install because it appeared to reccomend that some update or other was a good idea, I have resolved to restrict the usage of portage purely to updating applications, such as Mozilla, Xine, Evolution and so on - and only do major system updates (i.e. an emerge -u system) whenever there is a major Gentoo release. I do not think portage can at this stage be trusted for anything much else.

As for dependency handling, well even that isn't so hot. I can no longer count the number of times an ebuild has faild due to some folder, or directory or other not existing. That folder or directory 9 times out of 10 referers to a dependant application or library - and it is only when you opt to individually emerge this missing component that you are able to complete the rest of your ebuild sucessfully.

Moreover portage appears to have an inordinately large failure rate, with perhaps often as much as 1 in 10 applications failing to emerge and compile sucessfully. I have had discussions about this with other forum members - and pretty much the common response was 'oh, your harware much be faulty, or really suck or something...' Which I found a hugely annoying response. Hardware failures are unpredicable, they always happen at random points. Portage/ebuild failures are not, if a package fails to build sucessfully, you can usually bet your bottom dollar that it will always fail at the same point. How can hardware be responsible for this? Indeed how can it be responsible, if maybe a week later after an emerge sync the problem with the package just goes away?

I am not putting portage down... Not really.... It is certainly a fine idea... But at the moment it is very clear that it is far from perfect...

It does suck less than anything else out there, but what that says about everything else is maybe not so good.

I don't think I could imagine life without portage at the moment. But I sure hope i see some improvements in the comming months... However, I guess as it is so new, all of these limitations are only to be expected.
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raid517:

I think most of the problems your highlighting are not 'portage specific.' They have more to do with the fact that gentoo is a source based distro. I haven't had as much poor luck as you, but in a fresh install I'd say on average I have explicitly install about two packages do to portage trying to emerge in the wrong order. And, yes, there are still packages that won't compile on my system.

If you look at an *.ebuild, it's nothing more than a string of commands setting up the compilation and install of source with dependancy checking. If it won't compile on your system 9 times out of 10, this is not gentoo's fault or oversight, it is the developers. But this is the nature of source, it's impractical to expect source to compile 'perfect' on all combinations of hardware/software.

It's also impractical to compare portage to binary installs....they're already compiled. A more accurate comparison would be between say, portage and compiling your entire operating system by hand (a la LFS), even if you discount the dependency checking and package management ( a HUGE thing to discount) portage is an amazing system.
Caco_Patane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarek wrote:
RH is of course not usable without apt-get look-alikes.

Install apt-get into RH, it work's "fine". Better than RH managing your precious packages...
G! dpu s:--- a-- C++ UL++ P+ L++ E---- W+++ N- o-- K- w--
O---- M- V- PS+++ PE Y PGP- t++ 5-- X+ R+++ tv++ b++ DI--- D+
G++ e h! r++ z**
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah portage sucks, but what doesn't? Reply with quote

jarek wrote:
Ebuild does not seem to do the dependency checking that seems necessary. If you do it, it won't complain but the package will not compile. About "--buildpkgonly". From the man page, "This comes with the caveat that all build time dependencies must already be emerged on the system". Hence, this make no diffrence.

Well it's still possible with ebuild. But it would be easier if the --buildpkgonly and --onlydeps options to emerge worked the way I thought they did and still think they should.

Here is the issue I see. Say package X depends on package Y, but package X is blocked by package Z. If Y is not blocked by anything I should be able to do "emerge --onlydeps X" then "emerge --buildpkgonly X" before finally unmerging Z and merging X from the package I built previously. But the way emerge works currently it appears I can't do that.
I can see exceptions to this, like if having Z installed would screw up the compilation of X. But I think that would be rare and IMO in general it should work like I stated above. Opinions?
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raid517 wrote:

All too often however this has seemed to very much not be the case, with packages - often still of an extremely dangerous alpha/beta nature being marked as suitable for general release.

Can you give some specific examples?

Quote:

After having seen twice now portage literally kill it's own gentoo install because it appeared to reccomend that some update or other was a good idea, I have resolved to restrict the usage of portage purely to updating applications, such as Mozilla, Xine, Evolution and so on - and only do major system updates (i.e. an emerge -u system) whenever there is a major Gentoo release. I do not think portage can at this stage be trusted for anything much else.

How did it kill it?

Have you considered that your problems may be from too _few_ updates rather than too _many_ updates? A lot of fixes, especially from upstream, go into 'system' packages regularly.

Quote:

As for dependency handling, well even that isn't so hot. I can no longer count the number of times an ebuild has faild due to some folder, or directory or other not existing. That folder or directory 9 times out of 10 referers to a dependant application or library - and it is only when you opt to individually emerge this missing component that you are able to complete the rest of your ebuild sucessfully.

That's called a bug and can be filed here: https://bugs.gentoo.org
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude I'm not looking to pick a fight. I am a Gentoo user, just like most of the folks here. I am simply expressing the limitations I have found. It's all well and good to just stomp, close your eyes and say these things aren't real and aren't happening. I wonder though how constructive such an approach really is?

All the folks here aren't making this stuff up. I am sure like me they have far better things to do with their time.

As far as there being a lot of unpredicabe beta and testing stuff tuff on portage, if you do regularly do an emerge -u p system, you often see packages made avaiable that are marked as beta, r1, r2, r3 and r4 and so on (in my simple mind I have always assumed these to be release candidates or betas). The only protection from these packages is the package masking system,. However even with this in place you are still regularly exposed to a lot of beta software The only difference being that what you get is ealier version of this beta software (r1 as opposed to r3, or r4 and so on) which is potentially only more buggy than the later versions. (Maybe the r1 etc classifcations mean something else - but they are in any case very frequent and not at all always predicable).

As for not updating often enough... How frequent is often enough? Once a week? Once a day? Once an hour? I have tried all three approaches... Neither made all that much difference. I don't know what killed my previous two gentoo installs, except to say that it happend on each occasion after an emerge -u system. Whatever got changed during this process killed my Gentoo install. (Weird lock-ups, no X, completely borked compiler and so on).

As for filing bugs about packages that fail to compile due to unsolved dependancies, I have reported this to Gentoo bugs on a number of occasions. The first 6 or so times I reported it I was hopeful of a resolution. However it happens too often to spend a large propotion of my time simply reporting bugs to Gentoo bugs. After a while, like many such anomalies, you simply learn to live with it.

Well anyway I'm sure some folks will want to shout about this, but I'm afraid I really don't have the energy to be drawn into an argument. Gentoo is cool... man even portage is cool... But it seems it is still early days and that it has a long way to go before it reaches any real kind of maturity.

As I have said, all of the folks here can't be wrong. No one is dissing Gentoo or portage. My plan is to never use another Linux version. But it is no apt-get, not yet at least.

Q
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raid517 wrote:
Dude I'm not looking to pick a fight. I am a Gentoo user, just like most of the folks here. I am simply expressing the limitations I have found. It's all well and good to just stomp, close your eyes and say these things aren't real and aren't happening. I wonder though how constructive such an approach really is?

All the folks here aren't making this stuff up. I am sure like me they have far better things to do with their time.

What makes you think _I_ am looking for a fight? I am offering possible explanations for the problems you've had since you have no explanations yourself. If you don't want explanations or assistance and merely want to complain, please tell me - I don't want to follow the thread if the purpose of it is to vent rather than be constructive. I have a limited amount of time and like to spend it productively. Is that unreasonable?

You have not expressed any limitations. You have mentioned that you've seen a high failure rate. Those are bugs, not limitations, and I'd like to track them down and see that they're fixed, wouldn't you?

Where did anyone claim you were making anything up?

Quote:

As far as there being a lot of unpredicabe beta and testing stuff tuff on portage, if you do regularly do an emerge -u p system, you often see packages made avaiable that are marked as beta, r1, r2, r3 and r4 and so on (in my simple mind I have always assumed these to be release candidates or betas). The only protection from these packages is the package masking system,. However even with this in place you are still regularly exposed to a lot of beta software The only difference being that what you get is ealier version of this beta software (r1 as opposed to r3, or r4 and so on) which is potentially only more buggy than the later versions. (Maybe the r1 etc classifcations mean something else - but they are in any case very frequent and not at all always predicable).

-r is not part of the upstream package version. It indicates a revision of the ebuild in Portage, not an upstream version change. It means we changed something in the ebuild, added a patch, or made some other change that affects installed files. It most certainly does _not_ indicate a release candidate.

Quote:

As for not updating often enough... How frequent is often enough? Once a week? Once a day? Once an hour? I have tried all three approaches... Neither made all that much difference. I don't know what killed my previous two gentoo installs, except to say that it happend on each occasion after an emerge -u system. Whatever got changed during this process killed my Gentoo install. (Weird lock-ups, no X, completely borked compiler and so on).

As for filing bugs about packages that fail to compile due to unsolved dependancies, I have reported this to Gentoo bugs on a number of occasions. The first 6 or so times I reported it I was hopeful of a resolution. However it happens too often to spend a large propotion of my time simply reporting bugs to Gentoo bugs. After a while, like many such anomalies, you simply learn to live with it.

What happens too often? Bad dependencies? With an estimated 250,000 users, many of whom are capable of reporting bugs, I never see that many bugs about the bad dependency issues you described. I have quite a few systems running Gentoo that I update often and I never see those problems.

Without specifics, I can't offer any more helpful information, though.

Quote:

Well anyway I'm sure some folks will want to shout about this, but I'm afraid I really don't have the energy to be drawn into an argument. Gentoo is cool... man even portage is cool... But it seems it is still early days and that it has a long way to go before it reaches any real kind of maturity.

As I have said, all of the folks here can't be wrong. No one is dissing Gentoo or portage. My plan is to never use another Linux version. But it is no apt-get, not yet at least.

Q

I am not sure how you can claim "no one is dissing Gentoo or portage" when the thread is called "I HATE Portage" and contains comments, including yours, stating "Portage sucks" while rarely offering useful information.

With regards to it being "no apt-get": How so? I don't mean that in a challenging way. I'm looking for serious answers. I only lose patience when I can't seem to obtain them.
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be frank I really don't have the time. What is it you want me to do? If you feel it is significant PM me and we can go off subject and discuss it further. If you wish to make distinctions between limitations and bugs that is all well and good, but these so called 'bugs' are often limitations that prevent me from enjoying my Gentoo install fully. So call it what you will, to me any most other non developers it is pretty much not much more than semantics.

Maybe when you can accept that I am not dissing gentoo, that I am actually just recounting my own personal experiences with it, we might then be able to have a rational discussion? I find it difficult though to deal with Linux people who refuse to see any limitations, faults, call it what you will, with whatever flavour of Linux they are currently occupied with. It is as I have said before the three little monkeys approach to operating systems, i.e. see no evil, say no evil, hear no evil. To a casual user this approach seems to smack a lot more of zealotry than common sense and does much to discourage them from discussing the limitations they find of key elements of the OS on open forums such as this.

I commend the original poster for having the courage to speak his mind, because plainly in doing so he was opening himself up to attack.

As much as I enjoy Gentoo - and portage when it works - (and please don't spoil this for me by attempting to draw me into a long and negatively focused debate) I reserve the right to criticise (constructively) whereever I see fit. If you feel all criticism of this nature is a bad thing, then I am sorry for that, and for you.

As for Gentoo being no apt-get, I am talking purely in terms of my experience of success rate and dependency handling. On this regard - and again in my experience, apt-get beats portage hands down.

There are many positive things that outweigh the negatives I have found in using Gentoo - and that is why it is my conviction that I will probably never use another Linux version again. So if this is not a sufficient compliment to your efforts, then I don't know what else I can say.

But I think it is important for users to recount their experiences so that developers might be able to spot areas of weakness and areas where some improvement might be possible.

It doesn't mean we are all Gentoo haters (it would be odd if the only full time OS I use was one I hated) just that we have not all had the same fault free experience of Gentoo that you appear to have had.

Later...

Q
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had very few problems with Portage. Some of course is inevitable when you are on the bleeding edge.

Whenever someone finds issues with Portage that they feel is:
a) a bug
b) mis-implemented feature
c) Lacking a feature
d) Anything else where portage is involved and the result is not what you expected

file a bug!!!

I can't stress this enough, if you find something and don't file a bug on it, don't expect it to be fixed. And if you choose not to file a bug on the issue, don't come here and complain and then say you don't have time! The time this thread has taken is far more than what it would have taken to file a bug.

Come on people, be real. Portage is not flawless, nor is Gentoo as a distro. But at least do the favour back to the community of filing a bug when you find a problem.

Erik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: