View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anubis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Kahakai Reply with quote

Has anyone been successful in getting kahakai to work as KDE's wm? I've been trying this a couple of different ways and yet to be successful. I can kind of get flubox to work in this capacity, but it basically comes up in two instances. Basically, there's a window that can be minimized and moved around, so I just kill it, and the window behind it behaves normally.

However, for kahakai, it loads up initially when KDE is setting the wm, but after that it sets the panel and kahakai disappears never to be seen again.

I'm trying to get this setup by adding the wm variable in the /usr/kde/3.1/bin/startkde file... Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
mackstann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean when you say it disappears? There's nothing to show.. unless you have some windows open, you won't see Kahakai.
Anubis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, basically I orginally see the kahakai background screen image, but once kde finishes loading it switches back to the kde wm, and if I right click on the screen etc, it's not kahakai, but regular kde.

Where as previously I could right click and would get fluxbox menus, or if I simply load kahakai by itself I get it's normal menus.
princeofchaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kahakai supports standards better than Fluxbox does, so the issue is Kahakai root (desktop) bindings being overwritten by KDE's desktop. You may want to add a different binding for opening Kahakai menu if you really want to.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose you only want the kde basics and still retain some of the great kahakai features. This means you should get rid of the offending parts (e.g kdesktop, kicker, khotkeys etc.).
Now, reading through startkde I found that such stuff is loaded from the autostart directory. "Cool!" I thought and had a major cleaning frenzy inside /usr/kde/3.1/share/autostart (after backing up of course :P ). Strange thing is, the bastard still loads them! So, let's take a more "standard" issue: if I'm to stop using kicker in favor of a superkaramba-only setup... how could I do that?
princeofchaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kdesktop is needed for superkaramba, it's non-standard unlike gdesklets in terms of transparency it uses. How about launching relevant parts, from ~/.kahakai/autostart?
Anubis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Decided to start giving this another go (was busy playing Star Wars Galaxies). So, I tried to launch kdedesktop from the kahakai start file, and the same thing happened there that was happening when I was trying to launch kahakai from within kde. So, obviously that's the hangup, the question is how do we get around that since I would like to use SuperKaramba. I'm gonna keep fiddling to see if I can find something as well.
princeofchaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I would try gdesklets which work every WM under the sun.
mallchin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: aah pretty gdesklets Reply with quote

princeofchaos wrote:
If I were you, I would try gdesklets which work every WM under the sun.

I like gdesklets, and I hear kahakai supports the stacking properly (whereas sawfish has problems). Oh goodie :)

*edit* Seems kahakai doesn't support the stacking properly either; gdesklets are _always_ ontop of other windows. Hrm, if anyone has any fixes for this please indulge me :P
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=93106&highlight=gdesklets
mallchin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

christsong84 wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=93106&highlight=gdesklets

Thanks man!

I read the thread and looks like editing the config file might work - I'll try it when I get home, thanks again :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: