question about emerge -eD world and genkernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrrkkkttt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: question about emerge -eD world and genkernel Reply with quote

hi everyone i'm a n00b to gentoo... i just managed to have a picture perfect stage1 tarball install in less than a day... since the documentation didn't really talk about the cflags I just looked at the example in make.conf and used that but now that I browsed the gentoo forum more I added a buncha optimization stuff to my cflags and doing emerge -eD world (33 of 245 currently being compiled) as I type this.... when i did the stage1 tarball I used the genkernel and it buit my gentoo source kernel... my question is now that I did a emerge -eD world... would I have to run genkernel again so that it'd build the kernel again?
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing all that then there's no reason why not.

But if you're rebuilding everything with your new flags then there's no reason not to play around and roll your own kernel. After I did this and compiled everything I needed straight into the kernel - with the exception of PCMCIA stuff as the tools need it to be in modules - my kernel load time was much faster!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: