Nvidia driver hardlocks retardedly
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Nvidia driver hardlocks retardedly Reply with quote

I get lockups when launching opengl apps on a somewhat random basis. When they manage to start fine they'll run stabily. Also I sometimes get hardlocks at the moment X starts, but all is fine if it doesn't lockup in the beginning. Usually I don't get those lockups until I have used the computer for a while and try to either launch an opengl-app, or restart X. It's not like it slowly gets unstable, since it's only just when I'm launching either X or something using opengl it locks up. When something manages to launch fine it's completely stable.

I've tried many things. All sorts of kernels and kernel-configs, disabling agp etc.

I didn't have this problem before. It happened when I got additional RAM (tested for stability), and a new harddrive since the old one borked. I'm running ~x86 like I used to and was quite up to date before the reinstall.

Anyone have a clue what the problem can be?

Specs:
~x86 Gentoo
Pentium 4 2.26 GHz@2.4
768 MB DDR400@376 RAM
Asus i845g mainboard
WD 120GB 7200rpm 8MB cache SE
Creative Geforce 2 MX

Last edited by sindre on Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Take out the extra ram you put in to see if that clears the problem

2. Check your GPU fan is still spinning - a few months ago I had a series of inexplicable crashes running 3D apps, turns out the fan on my GF3 heatsink had stopped. Fortunately under guarantee though.
squallbsr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: I have locking problems too Reply with quote

I am having a similar problem and it seems to be associated with nvidia drivers. I am however new to gentoo - I have used the nvidia drivers before under SuSE without much of a problem (except SuSE was slow). The computer is overall stable hardware wise and I have had no problems 3D wise in Win XP. X usually hangs in regards to open GL screen savers and with xine playing a video that needs to be "fixed" (divx). I can still ping the machine after X locks, haven't tried to ssh into the box yet since I just got sshd running with the start-up scripts and figured out my private IP address (DHCP).

Here is the machine

Athlon Classic 900
512 MB SDRAM 100
64mb GeForce4 MX 440SE (Fan still runs)
80GB WD ATA100 Special Edition 8MB Cache
Epox mb w/Via (don't remember the model number, sorry - not at home at the moment)

Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffiene.
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me sounds like your video card could be overheating, or just plain breaking. But it could also be faulty ram. Test both out and see what happens
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anythings overheating. I shouldn't be able to start heavy opengl benchs and leave them for hours without crash then. I'll try to take out the RAM anyway.
squallbsr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Overheating? Reply with quote

As for me - I have been able to play (In WinXP) 3d games for hours with no problem, no over heating, no crashing. Possibly could be nvidia driver? Any place I could look for debugging info that would help me pinpoint MY problem?

Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffiene.
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed debian sid. Works without problems there, but I'm not so impressed with debian aside from that. I'll try xfree-4.2.x since that's what debian runs.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sindre wrote:
I just installed debian sid. Works without problems there, but I'm not so impressed with debian aside from that. I'll try xfree-4.2.x since that's what debian runs.

I'm still suspicious of the ram ... or the hard drive (but that's considerably less likely), since the problems started when you fitted the new hardware.

Have you tried taking the new ram out of your system, temporarily, to see if it corrects your Gentoo problem?

Oh, and if you have Debian installed too, you could run e2fsck on your Gentoo partition(s) when you're in Debian (or boot off the LiveCD and check your disks).
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ops.. I wrote too early, crashed in sid too. Now I'll definately try removing the ram. It might be caused by the RAM-bricks being different brand. One samsung and one twinmoz.

I still think this whole issue is strange, since when I first manage to start an OpenGL app, it's completely stable and memtest doesn't show anything strange. Can it be that the nvidia-driver has a problem with 768MB of RAM?
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I solved it by updating my bios.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: