Failed to Boot "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS:"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenwalker20
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Failed to Boot "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS:" Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I have decided to give gentoo a try! I have followed the handbook for an AMD64 build. I received no errors during the install process, even went and edited a few options during the install but nothing to crazy. I chose to compile my own kernel vs the genkernel and I went with ext4 instead of ext3.

Anywho, on to my question.

I thought the install was going swimmingly until, i got to the part requiring I reboot my system after configuring grub. Upon reboot i am greeted with a friendly grub screen asking me to pick what i want to boot. I choose gentoo. and i loads a for a few seconds and everything stops. There is some error messages but i am unable to page up or down on the console to see what happened but this is what I can see.

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block(0,0): error
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
Pid: 1, comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.5.7-gentoo #1
Call Trace: (lots of numbers I don't think are very helpful)

Any hope on recovering this? I really would hate to erase and try again, I hope its something simple not really sure where to look to fix this. Oh, i installed from the minimal live cd.

Thanks!
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zenwalker20,

Try appending rootfstype=ext3 to your grub kernel line.

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

unknown-block(0,0)

it is not even getting so far as seeing the disks, let alone seeing partitions

you are missing support for your HDD controller

you do not need to erase everything; you simply need to go back into menuconfig, select the correct controller for your hardware as a built-in, not a module, make && make modules_install, copy new kernel to /boot - this is something you will do from your livecd

to determine which hdd controller is correct, have a link at the first link in my sig. If you aren't familiar with Pappy's kernel seeds, and his guide, very short very informational guide that will save you much headache.
casualx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you dont get scared from this happened to your install...when I was install first the same happened to me too!
I think too that its the missing kernel driver for the hdd controller.
have a lot of fun with gentoo in the further!
Crooksey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a cool trick when installing Gentoo.

Run lspci -kk on your install media, you get a list of all hardware and the name of the kernel driver its using.

Now when you run make menuconfig type "/" in to bring a search prompt, then type the driver name.

It tells you its location in the kernel and whether you currently have it installed/enabled.

Good luck :D
zenwalker20
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help!

I got it working, here is what I did.

I booted the live cd, and went through all the steps in the handbook to mount my system and chroot in the system. I ran menuconfig and enabled every single non-experimental sata/pata driver i could find :P
I recompiled the kernel copied it over /boot and tweaked grub to reflect the new kernel.

I am now greeted to a friendly login screen after boot, upon which i logged into root. which worked swimmingly.

I have one last question, before i go emerging crazy. It is related to USE flags. I enabled a bunch of use flags during install so I wouldn't have to worry about it later to much. are these use flags okay? I am hoping to make a gnome3 system.

USE=" bindist mmx sse sse2 gtk gnome -kde -qt4 cdr alsa X a52 aac aim apm branding bzip2 cdda cddb cdparanoia css dbus dga dvd dvdr encode exif ffmpeg flac ftp gif gnome-keyring gstreamer gtkhtml jpeg java joystick lame mad mozilla msn networkmanager offensive opengl pulseaudio videos vorbis wavpack wifi win32codecs x264 yahoo oscar"

Is that to many? Am I missing anything i might want to include. I did select the gnomesystem profile as well.

Thanks again for all the help, I am new to source distro's. I am learning so much!

-Zenwalker20
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zenwalker20,

Don't pay too much attention to kernel features marked 'experimenial'. Some of them have been that way since 1999, when I started with Linux.

You should choose the /gnome profile with
Code:
eselect profile
as this sets many USE flags for you so you don't need them in make.conf.

Code:
emerge --info
will show all the globally set USE flags in your install and its more meaningful than just those in make.conf.
You can see the effect of various profiles by setting a profie, then running say
Code:
emerge gnome -uDNpv
study the flag settings and the package list.
From here you can either choose another profile and repeat the test, or use make.conf for some fine tuning.

When you like what you see, drop the -p and get a good nights sleep while it builds. If you change your mind later and change your USE flags, only the packages affected by the changed flags will be rebuilt.

Homework: what does the -uDNpv mean in the command above?
You need to understand that.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
zenwalker20
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into what you said with the emerge gnome command.

i know P stands for pretend and it has been useful. I deleted all those use flags and the packages pulled went down dramatically. It went from a 480 mb of packages downloaded to 135. If i delete the use flags will i loose functionality? I need to configure my wifi card, but that can wait till i have a gui, it will be much easier. Also, i tried to emerge gnome and it will not due to an error

Code:

Error: Circular dependencies:
(X11-misc/colord-0.1.21::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) depends on
(X11-libs/gtk+3.4.4:gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (buildtime)
(X11-misc/colord-0.1.21::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)(buildtime)
  It might be possible to break this cycle by applying any of the following changes:
-x11-libs/gtk+-3.4.4 (Change USE: -colord)
-X11-misc/colord-0.1.21 (Change USE: -gtk)

Would this be changed by appending -colord to the USE Flag file? Would this break gnome?
As to my homework i am studying the man pages to emerge. Lots of usefull info.

Thanks,

Zenwalker20
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zenwalker20,

USE flags control optional functionality. If you turn them off, that optional functionality will not be installed.

Configuring your WiFi with a GUI is actually harder than using the console. Most GUIs in Linux are just pretty front ends to the command line tools for doing the same job.
If a GUI works first time, OK, it might be easier for users not yet at home in the shell. If not, you will be using the shell to debug and fix it.

To break circular dependencies, it is necassary to build some things twice, once with the dependency broken then again with it in place.
You can put the temporary USE change into make.conf if you want, or because its only temporary, you may give it on the command line like

Code:
USE="-colord" emerge gnome
if thst works, run
Code:
emerge -uDNav gnome
to pick up the colord USE flag change.
If the firt command fails, add -gtk to the USE=

Warning: Command line USE settings are normally a very bad thing as portage will not know about them. In this case, its a temporary work around for a a build problem, so thats OK.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: