Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can't mount root filesystem... ugh! (LVM involved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_smidge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Can't mount root filesystem... ugh! (LVM involved) Reply with quote

This may or may not be a problem related to LVM, but something weird is up here. I have two Maxtor 40GB D740X drives in my system (hde and hdf), attached to an onboard HPT374 RAID controller (though I'm just using it as another IDE controller). This is my partition info:

hde1 - WinXP
hde2 - boot partition, ext3
hde3 - used by LVM

hdf1 - swap
hdf2 - root, reiserfs
hdf3 - used by LVM

I basically followed the LVM Guide (from the Gentoo docs) to install everything on my system, making a volume group that contains hde3 and hdf3, and within that I created logical volumes for /home /usr /opt /var and /tmp.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly until I finally rebooted to boot into Linux properly. The text whizzes by pretty quickly, but at the end it gives me this message:

Code:
VFS: Cannot open root device "hdf2" or 21:42
Please append a correct "root=" boot option.
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 21:42

The relevant part of my grub.conf looks like this:
Code:
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hdf2 hdb=ide-scsi

(hdb is my CDRW, but that option isn't important here)

Interestingly enough, I can quite happily boot off the livecd and mount all the drives (including LVM volumes) with no problem.. I wondered what was going on with it not recognising hdf2 as the root filesystem, so I did the following from the livecd:
Code:
mount /dev/hdf2 /mnt/gentoo
ls /mnt/gentoo/dev

.. and the /dev directory is absolutely full of files... Notably, it has hda1, hda2, .. hda20, hdb1, ...hdb20 ... hdh20 - including an hdf2, of course, but I severely doubt that this is right.. The /dev directory of the livecd, however, reports the arrangement correctly (optical drives on hda and hdb, then 3 partitions each on hde and hdf).

How on earth has the /dev directory got filled up with crap like that? I don't think I've missed anything important in the kernel (N.B. I did not use genkernel.. did it by hand using menuconfig), but I don't know what this is related to, or whether it's to do with LVM or not.

Please please, any help at all is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mr_smidge on Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
eaTHaN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hum... read this thread :/
mr_smidge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaTHaN wrote:
hum... read this thread :/

I have.. Still not sure about how to solve the problem though.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_smidge wrote:
I have two Maxtor 40GB D740X drives in my system (hde and hdf), attached to an onboard HPT374 RAID controller (though I'm just using it as another IDE controller).

Which kernel sources are you using ?
I would recommend ac-sources because gentoo-sources does not support the HPT374 controller chip.
mr_smidge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
I would recommend ac-sources because gentoo-sources does not support the HPT374 controller chip.

I'm using the gentoo-sources, but is this crucial even when I'm just using the HPT374 controller as a normal IDE controller? Things worked fine when booting off the cd, so what source is the livecd's kernel based on?

Still, I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I have some time and report back how it goes.. Thanks.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_smidge wrote:
I'm using the gentoo-sources, but is this crucial even when I'm just using the HPT374 controller as a normal IDE controller?

Yes, and you need to enable chipset support in the kernel too.
Code:
# make menuconfig
ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support  --->
IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices  --->
<*>     HPT36X/37X chipset support

mr_smidge wrote:
Things worked fine when booting off the cd, so what source is the livecd's kernel based on?

Depending on which version of the LiveCD you used, and what boot options, it could be xfs-sources or gs-sources. To find out for sure, boot with the LiveCD and type "uname -a".

As far as I know, ac-sources has more recent chipset drivers than the other kernels (at least for 2.4.x kernels)
mr_smidge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:

Yes, and you need to enable chipset support in the kernel too.
Code:
# make menuconfig
ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support  --->
IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices  --->
<*>     HPT36X/37X chipset support

Heh, I hope it's that simple! I shall give it a shot now.. thanks a lot for your help..
mr_smidge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:

I've compiled a new kernel based on the ac-sources, and things appear to have sorted themselves out, and all is dandy.. and it gets to the login with no problems.

I now, however, have to work out how to get it to recognise my USB keyboard (I have an Abit AT7-MAX mobo that has no PS/2 ports)...... tough one.

Thanks enormously for your help.
mr_smidge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done and working nicely :).

Next on the cards is working out why Gnome won't let any users apart from root log in.. (really.. an installation shouldn't have this many problems!)
HiFidk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't mount root filesystem... ugh! (LVM involved) Reply with quote

mr_smidge wrote:

Everything seemed to be going smoothly until I finally rebooted to boot into Linux properly. The text whizzes by pretty quickly, but at the end it gives me this message:

Code:
VFS: Cannot open root device "hdf2" or 21:42
Please append a correct "root=" boot option.
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 21:42

I'm having the same problem, with a different hardware configuration. I'm trying to run linux on a HPT372 RAID controller with 2 discs in RAID 0 ... I'm trying with kernel-2.6.0-test5 and i wonder if u are using that as well?

also tried kernel 2.4xx with genkernel, same problem, but i can tell from other threads that i shouldn't use genkernel. I would rather use the 2.6 kernel though

I see that there's a lot posted about different kernel sources, and as a NOOB i don't know where i can find AC-sources and Vannilla sources..?? I'm using the source from kernel.org

"Farmer expression describing the state of breating madness a sheep gets in once it has tasted human flesh"
mr_smidge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't mount root filesystem... ugh! (LVM involved) Reply with quote

HiFidk wrote:
I see that there's a lot posted about different kernel sources, and as a NOOB i don't know where i can find AC-sources and Vannilla sources..?? I'm using the source from kernel.org

Not sure about the 2.6 support for the HPT372 and HPT374 controllers (I would like to use a 2.6 kernel soon), but if you want to emerge a different kernel, say the ac-sources, just type:
Code:
emerge sys-kernel/ac-sources

Then make sure your /usr/src/linux symlink points to the correct place, and you should be all set.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiFidk wrote:
I'm having the same problem, with a different hardware configuration. I'm trying to run linux on a HPT372 RAID controller with 2 discs in RAID 0 ... I'm trying with kernel-2.6.0-test5 and i wonder if u are using that as well?

The 2.6.x kernel will support your HPT372 chipset, but ataraid is not supported for now. Most of my machines are stuck on 2.4.x kernels for this reason. :(

HiFidk wrote:

At some point in the installation instructions, it will tell you to get the kernel sources : "emerge gentoo-sources". Feel free to try out kernels other than the Gentoo one. You can get a list of available kernel sources like this.
Code:
# emerge -s sources
HiFidk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: problem solved Reply with quote

Well, it worked for me with another kernel, first trying the gentoo sources 2.4.20-r5 ending up with a DMA problem
clicky, then with the 2.4.22 source from kernel.org ... that solved my RAID problems, and after some PCI hotplugging probs clicky i can now continue my gentoo install ;)

thank god for these forums... :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Farmer expression describing the state of breating madness a sheep gets in once it has tasted human flesh"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: