Operton with Mylex DAC960 and grub
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Operton with Mylex DAC960 and grub Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo on an opteron with a DAC960 Raid controller. The install goes fine until the boot loader installation.

Both lilo and grub are masked for the amd64. I emerged grub-static but it will not see the DAC960 controller.
Code:

grub> root (hd0,0)

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

grub>

The DAC960 does not show up as a scsi device although it is a scsi controller. Each logical drive shows up as /dev/rd/disc0/disc and each partition shows up as /dev/rd/disc0/part1, /dev/rd/disc0/part2, etc.

Any help would be greatly apprciated.
warren64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Opteron/DAC960/Gentoo Reply with quote

This post sounds strangely familiar. When I attempted a Gentoo install on my opteron server with the Mylex contoller I met the same fate. I had hoped Gentoo's optimized kermel and install would better the Redhat I am very acquainted with. I won't be switching my systems from Redhat anytime soon!
Bruce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Problem resolved Reply with quote

In the rare event anyone else has this problem. I managed to figure out a solution. I installed freedos on a floppy. On the floppy I also added loadlin.exe and bzImage. This allowed me to boot the new kernel and pass all the required kernel paramters.

Once I did this, grub behaved normally and I was able to install grub on the hard disk. I'm not sure why this worked but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the DAC960 is a module on the installation CD. The new kernal is monolithic with respect to the DAC960. As a consequence grub gets a different bios response between the kernel used to install gentoo and the final compiled kernel.
warren64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. Once I booted the floppy with freedos and loadlin and my bzImage from the kernel compile it worked!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: