View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Things I don't like about linux Reply with quote

(note on topic, I love linux, I use linux every day, and I'd rather kill myself than admin another windows box, BUT..)

Installing software... seems kinda clumsy doesen't it? And I don't mean emerge, I mean where shit actually goes. Scattered around the system, while most/some stuff follows "the" standard, putting itself in /usr/bin and /usr/share for example. Some doesen't, some stuff likes /opt (few but existant), some /usr/local, and some games prefers it's own /usr/local/games/<dir>. Would be great if everything would follow one standard. So it'd be easy to know exactly where it went (easily that is).

I'v seen so many "I just installed a program, how do I run it" threads around on messageboards, and people asking where example configuration files are (of course /etc/conffile.example.. or /etc/<dir>/samples, or /usr/share/doc...).

I kinda like the mac aproach (if I understood it correctly), application directories, everything is in the directory, click on the directory and you run the application.
Personally I'd love to see that used in linux, application in dir, per default click on dir = run (run = execute <dir>/run or something like that), second mouse button can give options such as enter (to find custom configuration files), or setup, to execute a setup program.

Second... linux binary compatibility... yeah, a blade that cuts both ways, I've seen discussion on it many times, every time some are very against it and some are huge fans of it, either way it seems even though there are supporters on both sides it's not beeing done, or "getting decided" about.
I personally think linux would do SO much (well, know, duh, you don' t have to be a genius to figure that one out) better when it comes to comercialy supported apps that it currently is, if it was around. Of course, there may be more people releasing closed source apps instead of open source apps. Which would be really bad.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks of the linux world ;)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding "where shit actually goes", please see the discussion in this thread.

There is also a document on www.gentoo.org that explains why things are where they are (use to be anyway). I'll see if I can find it later.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Things I don't like about linux Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
Scattered around the system, while most/some stuff follows "the" standard, putting itself in /usr/bin and /usr/share for example.

How is this different from windows? Some software is installed in C:\.. some is put in C:\Program Files.. some DLL's are put in the app dir, some are put in C:\Windows\.. some are put in C:\Windows\System.. some are put in C:\Windows\System32.. some times C:\Windows is not used, but rather C:\WinNT.. and on.. and on. and on.

neuron wrote:

I kinda like the mac aproach (if I understood it correctly), application directories, everything is in the directory, click on the directory and you run the application.
Personally I'd love to see that used in linux, application in dir, per default click on dir = run (run = execute <dir>/run or something like that), second mouse button can give options such as enter (to find custom configuration files), or setup, to execute a setup program.

That is how it worked in classic MacOS.. in MacOS it's even better with the concept of Bundles. Installing software in MacOS is insanely easy. Just double click on the disk image (.dmg), and it shows a new drive in the desktop. Just drag the Application from the virtual drive to the harddrive to install it. To uninstall it, just move the Application to the trash. The Application in this case is just a bundle, with an executable+data files+libraries.. etc..
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Things I don't like about linux Reply with quote

shm wrote:
neuron wrote:
Scattered around the system, while most/some stuff follows "the" standard, putting itself in /usr/bin and /usr/share for example.

How is this different from windows? Some software is installed in C:\.. some is put in C:\Program Files.. some DLL's are put in the app dir, some are put in C:\Windows\.. some are put in C:\Windows\System.. some are put in C:\Windows\System32.. some times C:\Windows is not used, but rather C:\WinNT.. and on.. and on. and on.

Who mentioned Windows? We all know Windows is b0rked and has crappy this and that, he is only suggesting that we improve on what we have, not that we copy Windows' approach...

neuron wrote:

This is the way GoboLinux does it.

- Simon
kitano
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just read an article about a to-be-invented file system here:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/8/9/172159/7912

and i have this link from here

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=18375&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=175

so far for the point of executing a whole dir, that'd be a fine feature.

but to the point of having programs somewhere specific, i think it violates the unix filesystem convetions. which linux adopted, more or less.

you can find them by googling, they are woth a glimpse.

anyway, i guess you could adopt any linux the way you want it by scripting. looking for executables, and softlinking them together in one dir, well that'd be pretty dirty, but you get the idea, don't you?

it's not linux, it's the way it developed / evolved.

only in case you were going to ask what it is...

Last edited by kitano on Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Things I don't like about linux Reply with quote

shm wrote:

yeah, I like the linux system much better, but hey, windows\system is HORRIBLE, heh.
Azaghal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with the current FS layout.

But I do agree that installing stuff is a pain, but that's what you have distro's for.

And part of the problem is the huge ammount of libs/apps, and packages who substitute each other.

And KDE/Gnome are only making things worse by writing apps which do the same only for a different toolkit. :roll:

We should really just have a new toolkit which overcomes the flaws of both QT and GTK... So graphical apps are at least interopable (I can't spell).
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I personally think linux would do SO much (well, know, duh, you don' t have to be a genius to figure that one out) better when it comes to comercialy supported apps that it currently is

Yep, but tell that to the developers of those applications, problem is that both problems you toutched are external support or distribution related.

Most windows or mac users dont know where their apps end u either, so its just something which you need to learn (as which each new os)

I really like the /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin and /opt setup, It keeps apps in one place and makes them easier to find..
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Things I don't like about linux Reply with quote

Cossins wrote:

Who mentioned Windows? We all know Windows is b0rked and has crappy this and that, he is only suggesting that we improve on what we have, not that we copy Windows' approach...

yeah, windows is borked, as is linux in this respect. ultimatly, everything gets compared to windows however since it's the standard.

Cossins wrote:

This is the way GoboLinux does it.

Does it any sort of bundles? I guess you could pretty much use non-compressed tar archives that are transparently accessed by the file systems.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layout of files and data can always be improved. What you need to consider is the reasoning behind the structure the way it is today.

Also note that the reason many commercial apps install their system differently may be from a performance related point of view.

Let me use Oracle Database as an example.

1. Create a regular user called oracle. Create at least 2 new groups, oinstall and dba and make sure that user oracle is a member of these 2 groups.

2. Install the database normally under the users home directory (notice it is not installed as root and it is never run as root either).

3. Datafiles can be put anywhere.

Here Oracle installs it cleanly under the user oracle and it makes it much more easy to maintain and the DBA (Database Admin) does not need root access. The software can basically be installed anywhere on the system where user oracle has the permissions to do so. The environment variable ORACLE_HOME points to the top level directory of the software. This makes it easy to spread a few gigabytes of software around. Even more so important when we are talking about an installation of Oracle E-business. It can easily take up to and beyond 100GB of diskspace. Spreading it over multiple disks helps on the performance.

I have looked at gobo linux and until they can come up with a complete native system with an alternative directory structure and a flexible way to have /Programs over more than one disk, it is only an interesting experiment.

Erik
Abraxas
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Things I don't like about linux Reply with quote

neuron wrote:

Second... linux binary compatibility... yeah, a blade that cuts both ways, I've seen discussion on it many times, every time some are very against it and some are huge fans of it, either way it seems even though there are supporters on both sides it's not beeing done, or "getting decided" about.

That's not entirely true. It has been discussed and something has already been done.

http://autopackage.org/
trouby
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I posted a thread exactly about this issue,

And about mentioning slackware before, Slack installs its base under /usr/bin /usr/sbin, same as any dist,
The point is that almost ANY package that you install from source installs its files under /usr/local, this way you have some saparation between your 'core' linux files and the external packages you installed. so you have some order, you know where to go and find what.

In Gentoo, after installing several packages, all get installed under /usr/bin and messing up with the core linux files, I personally don't like it, although using qpkg u can determine which file is apart of which package and its directory, but still, it would be much nicer while emering you could decide the prefix of the package...! think of that :)
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Things I don't like about linux Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:

That's not entirely true. It has been discussed and something has already been done.

http://autopackage.org/

autopackage isn't exactly going to fix binary compatability though. it might help in fixing the loads of different but incompatable package managers though.
TheEternalVortex
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think that Gobo's system is much better. Each package is installed in its own dir, e.g. gcc-3.2.3, which has all of the bin/lib/doc/conf files. So you can completely uninstal something just by deleting this dir. It's pretty cool.
Zugot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The /usr, /etc, /var, /opt makes sense if you take a second to understand it.

/usr is where most of the good stuff will go
/usr/local is for stuff you install yourself, so you can keep it separate from the vendors

/etc for configuration files

/var for variable data like logs

/opt for stuff which comes precompiled

I love it... and I hope it never changes. Have a look at the LSB (i think that is what it is called)
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me points at rox's application bundles.
Registered Linux User #263260
jcummins
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have looked at gobo linux and until they can come up with a complete native system with an alternative directory structure and a flexible way to have /Programs over more than one disk, it is only an interesting experiment.

Can't LVM do this?
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcummins wrote:
Quote:

Can't LVM do this?

Yes, but it adds another layer which can reduce performance.

The way UNIX handles this right now, with multiple mount-points reduces the overhead and gives you max performance.

We have many installations that uses some form of Logical Volume Managers. It all depends on how big and how fast your system is. If I just need a few disks, one for software, 3-4 disks for the datafiles, using LVM is an overkill and causes some performance and admin overhead not necessary.

Erik
Promit
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I don't see the problem with Windows...for one thing it actually gives a choice of where you want to install a bloody program (MacOS does this sometimes and sometimes just doesn't seem to bother). But in general things go to C:\Program Files\... with a couple required DLLs put in C:\Windows\System32\....

Although I have to admit, I really like the MacOS way best. Have you ever heard of an uninstaller for a piece of Mac software? Exactly.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promit wrote:
First, I don't see the problem with Windows...for one thing it actually gives a choice of where you want to install a bloody program (MacOS does this sometimes and sometimes just doesn't seem to bother). But in general things go to C:\Program Files\... with a couple required DLLs put in C:\Windows\System32\....

If you install the old fashioned way on linux (unzip, tar, ./configure, make, make install), you can specify where the software goes too. Personally, I much prefer the Genoo Way, so that you don't have to worry about where to put stuff. Never once on Gentoo have I though, "jeez, my life would be so much better if gimp were in /usr/local/bin instead of /usr/bin".

Although I do have to agree that installing on windows seem to get a bum rap from linuxians. Very rarely does installing a program mess something else up, which is a very common occurance on rpm distros.
Promit
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="richk449"]
Promit wrote:

Never once on Gentoo have I though, "jeez, my life would be so much better if gimp were in /usr/local/bin instead of /usr/bin".

But it would still be a hell of a lot easier if it installed in /Applications/The Gimp, a la Mac OS X.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Promit"]
richk449 wrote:
Promit wrote:

Never once on Gentoo have I though, "jeez, my life would be so much better if gimp were in /usr/local/bin instead of /usr/bin".

But it would still be a hell of a lot easier if it installed in /Applications/The Gimp, a la Mac OS X.

Why exactly? When I want to run gimp, i either type "gimp" in an xterm, or I find it in a menu somewhere. If I want to upgrade it, or remove it, or figure out what version I have, I do that through portage. Why should it matter to me where it is installed, as long as it works transparently?

I guess what I am saying is that portage serves the same purpose that the Mac drag-install technique serves - making installation painless for the user. Perhaps the Mac way is more elegant, but it doesnt seem any more practical.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Why exactly? When I want to run gimp, i either type "gimp" in an xterm, or I find it in a menu somewhere. If I want to upgrade it, or remove it, or figure out what version I have, I do that through portage. Why should it matter to me where it is installed, as long as it works transparently?

I guess what I am saying is that portage serves the same purpose that the Mac drag-install technique serves - making installation painless for the user. Perhaps the Mac way is more elegant, but it doesnt seem any more practical.

this is of course assuming that emerge -C always does a good job at removing the application, which isn't always true.
semiSfear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zugot wrote:

/opt for stuff which comes precompiled

Almost true. Americas Army, CrossOver Office unrar, REAL and some other stuff gets installed there. But wait! OpenOffice.org-Ximian is there (!?) and it's not precompiled.

Yes, I also agree that what package get installed where can be a nightmare. I just hate when I find empty directories lying around from old unmerged packages. Same thing when compiling own packages in /usr/local
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: