Mythtv questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snagarelle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Mythtv questions Reply with quote

After being away from computers for like 6 months i am gonna start using them again. I want to put mythtv on a spare computer but really understand what i have to do. I have installed gentoo before so i know how to do it. also
FIrst is there a portage for Mythtv0.11?
For mythtv does an x window manager have to be installed and is kdebase good enough? what should i watch out for when installing mythtv. the goal of this box is to be stand alone and be a samba/nfs multimedia box. Has anybody written for gentoo instrustions/scripts to get mythtv to start up automatically?

thanks for the help.
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- I believe mythtv 0.11 went into portage today
- an x window manager and kdelibs both need to be installed
- there is now a startup script for the backend to mythtv. After installation it can be done just like the others: rc-update add mythbackend default. You'll have to put root in the audio and video groups, though.
- Installing mythtv is the easy part, getting all of your ducks in a row with TV/alsa/i2c/etc. modules from the kernel is what gets frustrating.
- Nothing to watch out for, except make sure that you add the appropriate sql information to mysql and go through all of the sections in the setup section of the main menu. Have fun!
chrispy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: other MythTV questions Reply with quote

I'll take the opportunity of this thread to ask a question to Handsomepete :

I've been running Mythtv on Gentoo since 0.9 and I pretty much got everything working fine (except that I don't have EPG because no xmltv grabber for Japan yet). One thing bugs me though; Mythmusic plays the mp3 ok, but the small visualization is choppy : plays fast for 2 seconds, and then slows down, then fast again, etc.
I monitored no peaks with top, but cpu usage of X is rather high (40%) but that's only for MythMusic. The rest of the apps are running happily on the celeron 2.3ghz 768mb of ram (i.e. no drops, nor slow downs)

But sometimes, the visualizations are playing smoothly, and the cpu usage goes in more reasonnable levels... it all depends on the day I run mythmusic, so it seems !

Anything I should look out for ? mplayer was built with SDL, glxgears reports a standard 860 fps on an radeon 7500...

otherwise, the ebuilds for 0.11 are really great, it went far more smoothly than my previous experiences with the cvs ebuild ;)

cheers and thanks for any reply in advance
Snagarelle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So all i will have to do is set my USE variables correctly and then do an
emerge mythtv
and then it will automatically install everything i need? such as X and kdebase

also what about a script to get the graphical frontend to startup automatically? can you do the same rc-update mythtv frontened default?
chrispy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythtv is the main TV program, then you can emerge MythMusic, Mythvideo, Mythdvd, Mythgame, Mythgallery (you can do a emerge -s myth to get all the modules list)
each one carries a specific task. and the according button will appear in mythfrontend.

You cannot have an init script for the frontend, but you can have a special user autologin and launch startx at startup, and in the user's ~/.xinitrc you can put mythfrontend so it's the program that launches on X startup.

It's a really neat program once you get it running, and I believe worth the efforts of making it work. good luck !

P.S. btw, since the mythtv stuff is masked, you need to do a
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge mythtv
to be able to emerge it.
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: other MythTV questions Reply with quote

chrispy wrote:
I'll take the opportunity of this thread to ask a question to Handsomepete :

I've been running Mythtv on Gentoo since 0.9 and I pretty much got everything working fine (except that I don't have EPG because no xmltv grabber for Japan yet). One thing bugs me though; Mythmusic plays the mp3 ok, but the small visualization is choppy : plays fast for 2 seconds, and then slows down, then fast again, etc.
I monitored no peaks with top, but cpu usage of X is rather high (40%) but that's only for MythMusic. The rest of the apps are running happily on the celeron 2.3ghz 768mb of ram (i.e. no drops, nor slow downs)

But sometimes, the visualizations are playing smoothly, and the cpu usage goes in more reasonnable levels... it all depends on the day I run mythmusic, so it seems !

Anything I should look out for ? mplayer was built with SDL, glxgears reports a standard 860 fps on an radeon 7500...

otherwise, the ebuilds for 0.11 are really great, it went far more smoothly than my previous experiences with the cvs ebuild ;)

cheers and thanks for any reply in advance

That happens to me sometimes when I play songs over the network (the mythmusic author specifically states that it's currently not intended to play music over a network). I've always assumed that was why. At one point LCD support worked really well for me, but has since vanished. Don't know what's up with that.
chrispy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: other MythTV questions Reply with quote

handsomepete wrote:

That happens to me sometimes when I play songs over the network (the mythmusic author specifically states that it's currently not intended to play music over a network). I've always assumed that was why. At one point LCD support worked really well for me, but has since vanished. Don't know what's up with that.

oh, I see... then it might have something to do with the fact that my MP3s are on a firewire disk...
Anyways, now I know it's not only me :D thanks man.
I guess for now I'll disable the visualization either by using "Blank" or removing the square box from the mythmusic.xml file.

At least the rest is working nicely, even mythdvd ! although what could be the trick for having ogle to start full screen ? the man page for ogle is far from informative :?
Mplayer is nice for dvds, but it's better when used from the command line (selecting the right movie track on each disc) and I gotta say DVD Navigation is great on ogle.

I tried to write a parser for japanese tv programs, but I haven't got much time for that, and frankly Perl is not my favorite language ( :roll: )
but Mythtv is really a fun project, coz I learnt a great deal on v4l2 and kernel stuff trying to make things work.
xcham
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to emerge mythtv again today, 0.11, and lookie.

Code:
--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/tmp/sandbox-mythtv-0.11-20254.log"

open_wr:   /lib/libmyth-0.11.so.0.11.0
unlink:    /lib/stywc9mp
symlink:   /lib/libmyth-0.11.so
symlink:   /lib/libmyth-0.11.so.0
symlink:   /lib/libmyth-0.11.so.0.11
mkdir:     /include
mkdir:     /lib/mythtv
mkdir:     /lib/mythtv
open_wr:   /bin/mythepg
unlink:    /bin/strkI3sW
open_wr:   /bin/mythprogfind
unlink:    /bin/st7dtp2Z
open_wr:   /bin/mythfilldatabase
unlink:    /bin/st7NYJI3
open_wr:   /bin/mythtranscode
unlink:    /bin/stzDHn76
open_wr:   /bin/mythtv
unlink:    /bin/stvAfTVc
open_wr:   /bin/mythbackend
unlink:    /bin/stZQpDjg
open_wr:   /bin/mythfrontend
unlink:    /bin/stUXde59
mkdir:     /share
open_wr:   /bin/mythcommflag
unlink:    /bin/stOjzVHg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A whole lot of access violations (still) and then this. Can anyone tell me how to emerge it maybe into a different prefix path or something?
Roy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get exactly the same error.

Does anyone know how to fix it?
packersthor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I completed an
Code:
...ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge mythtv

All went well but on completion I have a somewhat different problem. When I get to the step for running setup.... I have no setup directory in /usr/share/mythtv and the setup program is not there either. Only file close is setup.xml.

Any help.

Thanks
ubercheez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the setup command is now in one of the system directories. Basically what I did to find it was just type in "myth" and then use command completion to find the file. (Logged in as root.) If that doesn't do it, then check the bin directories for files with myth and setup in the name.
packersthor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou,

I found mythsetup in /usr/bin... It just was different than the mythtv.org setup instructions.

These forums are great for help

Darrell
xcham
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, anyone know how to fix the annoying problem associated with the "access violations" or whatever, described above?
Roy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xcham wrote:
Once again, anyone know how to fix the annoying problem associated with the "access violations" or whatever, described above?

I think we are alone on this one
xcham
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to start bugging the people in the portage forum, I guess...
silux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: sound issues with mythtv Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I shoudl post here or not but I figured it was better than making a bunch of mythtv threads....

Got the picture and everything working fine except....
none of the keys work.... aka I can't change the channel or anything.... the only key that works is ESC
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To solve those access violations, try adding '-sandbox' to the FEATURES variable in /etc/make.conf. That fixed them for me when I was trying to get dvdrip emerged.
a3ulafia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: mythtv without KDE Reply with quote

handsomepete wrote:
- I believe mythtv 0.11 went into portage today
- an x window manager and kdelibs both need to be installed

I'm running MythTV on some older hardware. I'm not interested in dealing with KDE overhead so I installed Fluxbox. I do have 'kde qt' in my USE vars although KDE is not merged. After a few days of merging MythTV deps, including QT, I noticed that MySQL is not a dependency. Strange. I merged MySQL and ran mythsetup. It complains that I don't have the qt-mysql database driver installed. Hmmm, why not? QT was merged as part of myth. doing a 'emerge -s qt-mysql' turns up nothing.

So I can't seem to find this mysterious qt-mysql, although handsomepete's comment about merging kdelibs leads me to believe that qt-mysql might be in there. If this is true, this is also not a dependency of the mythtv ebuild.

-lee
chammel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm running MythTV on some older hardware. I'm not interested in dealing with KDE overhead so I installed Fluxbox. I do have 'kde qt' in my USE vars although KDE is not merged. After a few days of merging MythTV deps, including QT, I noticed that MySQL is not a dependency. Strange. I merged MySQL and ran mythsetup. It complains that I don't have the qt-mysql database driver installed. Hmmm, why not? QT was merged as part of myth. doing a 'emerge -s qt-mysql' turns up nothing.

So I can't seem to find this mysterious qt-mysql, although handsomepete's comment about merging kdelibs leads me to believe that qt-mysql might be in there. If this is true, this is also not a dependency of the mythtv ebuild.

Make sure that mysql in in your USE flags. Emerge qt again the qt-mysql comes from the qt package but without the USE flag it is not compiled.

Chris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: