View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Another fluxbox emerge problem Reply with quote

I've had a search through the forum, and although there are lots reports of fluxbox emerge failures, I haven't seen this one:

Code:
config.status: config.h is unchanged
config.status: executing default-1 commands
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/fluxbox-0.1.14-r2/work/fluxbox-0.1.14'
Making all in doc
/bin/sh: line 1: cd: doc: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/fluxbox-0.1.14-r2/work/fluxbox-0.1.14'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-wm/fluxbox-0.1.14-r2 failed.
!!! Function commonbox_src_compile, Line 114, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

I'm trying to re-emerge fluxbox 0.1.14-r2 with these flags:

Code:
USE="-* 3dnow acl acpi alsa apm avi crypt dga doc encode gdbm gif gtk gtk2 guile imlib jpeg mbox mmx motif mozilla mpeg ncurses oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl plotutils png python qt quicktime readline ruby sasl sdl slang spell ssl svga tc ltk tcpd tetex tiff truetype X xmms xv zlib x86"

I also tried with -nls, which shouldn't make any difference anyway (see -* above).

This might be related to my upgrade problem. When I try to 'emerge -pUD world' I get this message in wonderful full colour:

Quote:
Calculating world dependencies -
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy "virtual/blackbox" have been masked.
!!! (dependency required by "x11-misc/fluxter-0.1.0" [ebuild])

!!! Problem with ebuild x11-misc/fluxter-0.1.0
!!! Possibly a DEPEND/*DEPEND problem.

!!! Depgraph creation failed.

Using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" doesn't solve the problem, because I don't want to run a newer version of fluxbox, and fluxter is already at the newest version.

So, any ideas why I can't re-emerge fluxbox?
piefke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

try creating such a directory in /var/tmp/portage/fluxbox-0.1.14-r2/work/fluxbox-0.1.14

don't know y it doesn't contain the directory. so no docs will be available.
when all fails, you can compile the tarball from fluxbox.sourceforge.net .
tested it and it contains the doc folder.

your update failure didn't rely to this.
but a emerge unmerge fluxter should help.
you can emerge it after a successful emerge of fluxbox ;)
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look and the directory already exists:

Code:
# ls -l /var/tmp/portage/fluxbox-0.1.14-r2/work/fluxbox-0.1.14/doc
total 64
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         3761 Dec  8  2002 Coding_style
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         7333 Oct 10 12:02 Makefile
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          308 Oct 10 12:02 Makefile.am
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         7342 Oct 10 12:02 Makefile.in
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         2136 Dec 12  2001 bsetroot.1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        35462 Sep 23  2002 fluxbox.1.in

I checked twice in fact. It's definitely there. Strange eh?

I chdir'ed to /var/tmp/portage/fluxbox-0.1.14-r2/work/fluxbox-0.1.14 and typed 'make' - same error. I tried 'make clean' and it said:

Code:
# make clean
Making clean in util
/bin/sh: line 1: cd: util: No such file or directory
make: *** [clean-recursive] Error 1

But that directory definitely exists too...
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there .
You could also try downlading the dev build.

fluxbox.org/download/fluxbox-current-cvs.tar.gz
just configure , make make install

:)
linux: #232767
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been down that path before. And do you know what? It completely toasted my beautiful fluxbox configuration files, that I spent months crafting into the perfect form. Good job I had a backup, but I still lost some recent menu entries.

Can you tell me if this still happens?

Also, I would like to stay with the stable 0.1.14 release because I simply cannot tolerate a desktop crash. I have too much work open during a typical work day. 0.1.14 has never crashed on me.
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually my files never get overwritten when i upgrade.
I dont think that fluxbox overwrites the files you already have...

And the dev builds are pretty stable, it _never_ crashed on me.
I would say, save your configs somewhere else,upgrade and try it..
if you dont like it, you can always go back to the so called "stable" version.
:)
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my config files definitely disappeared when I tried it. It was a few months ago so it might not do that any more.

And I hate to sound rude, but - 'DUH!' :

Quote:
"if you dont like it, you can always go back to the so called "stable" version."

I politely refer you to my first post... :?
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again. sorry about the reply, i must have been distracted.

Ive asked a fluxbox dev. about it and this is what he says:

Quote:

[12:44] <ikaro> Rathnor:is it possible that fluxbox dev version overwrites your config files when you upgrade ?
[12:44] <Rathnor> ikaro: global stuff, yes
[12:45] <Rathnor> personal stuff no
[12:45] <Rathnor> (unless you run make as a user)
[12:45] <Rathnor> in which case that users menu gets overwritten

I dont know about the other errors you get , sorry cant hep you.
1.4.14 isnt developed by anyone, because all coding goes into the 0.9.6pre* versions.

I can, however, tell you how I usually install my fluxbox.
First I _dont_ have 1.0.14 installed.
and then I use cvs versions whenever i can login to that #@&%¤# sf.net .
else i just download the builds called 0.9.6.pre*, unpack it, run 'configure' and 'make' as normal user, then run 'make install' as root.

Never encountered those problems you mention.
About the other errors about depende/depend, you can do like piefke wrote.

If you cant get this solved, please come to #fluxbox on freenode.
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've worked out what's wrong.

I had this variable declared: CDPATH=/usr/portage
This was meant to make it easier for me to change dir to specific ebuild directories. Unfortunately when this is set, making fluxbox fails:

Code:
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/fluxbox-0.1.14-r2/work/fluxbox-0.1.14'
Making all in doc
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/fluxbox-0.1.14-r2/work/fluxbox-0.1.14'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Why this happens I don't know, but it seems that make is being confused by this variable and baling out. Oh well, it was a useful variable while it lasted... :?
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info here - apparently it's a BASH bug.

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/bug-automake/1999/msg00124.html

http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/misc/9810/msg00134.html

Although the strange thing is, my fluxbox build was failing even though I didn't have '.' in my CDPATH.

Can anybody shed any light on this? What was happening exactly? Should I report this as a Gentoo bug?
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikaro: I tried out fluxbox-0.9.6pre9 and 'ug!' - where are my lovely tabs? What's with the tabs embedded in the toolbar? Well, I could live with that I suppose except it means they shuffle around (change size) when I add new ones! That means a different place for my mouse to aim for depending on the number of grouped windows - yuck! 8O

And there's no 'open as new tab' option, where I can automatically make a new xterm group with a bunch of others (and no I don't want to mess with 'groups' to get this working - I want to do it dynamically).

Within 30 minutes of firing it up, I've submitted 5 bug reports.

Now I realise it's a dev. release, but it's nowhere near as usable as 0.1.14 IMHO and although it didn't crash, I had some weird things happen, such as flickering menus (sometimes) and, well, you can see my bug reports...

Also there's something going on that's odd with the graphics - the themes look different in the newer version, and lack some subtle niceties like the edge rendering on things. Gives the overall impression of a less complicated and simpler design, which I don't like (makes it look older than the stable release).

Just my opinion. Flame me if you like. I'm not a big ball of fusing hydrogen for nothing... (refering to avatar).
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I tried out fluxbox-0.9.6pre9 and 'ug!' - where are my lovely tabs? What's with the tabs embedded in the toolbar? Well, I could live with that I suppose except it means they shuffle around (change size) when I add new ones! That means a different place for my mouse to aim for depending on the number of grouped windows - yuck!

To use tabs, you drag a window using the middle button of your mouse, into another window ( doesnt matter where), and they get tabbed.

"tabs embeded in the toolbar" is what we call iconbar, where minimized applications live.

And you wrote something incorrect.
Right now i have 5 tabbed windows, which are browser,email-client,some aterms and even The Gimp!, and all i see is 1 application in the iconbar.
the size of the tabs, is resized acording to the number of tabs used, the same to the iconbar.

Quote:

And there's no 'open as new tab' option, where I can automatically make a new xterm group with a bunch of others (and no I don't want to mess with 'groups' to get this working - I want to do it dynamically).

Exactly, you can use the groups file, if you dont like to use that, you can send a request to the dev to include another way of doing it.

There are new style items, so the old styles arent compatible atm.
I do however, heard that they probalbly will be in the future.

If you dont like the way it works, try something else.

:roll:
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I thought this was meant to be a development branch that aims to improve fluxbox. Version 0.9.x seems to be undoing all the good work that went in to 0.1.14 (from an interface point of view). Tabs are the only good reason to use fluxbox over many other wm's, and in 0.9.6 they don't even work properly (note I said 'properly' - I realise they work, and I see how they work, but I think it's flawed. My opinion).

Quote:
the size of the tabs, is resized acording to the number of tabs used, the same to the iconbar.

You misunderstood me - I wasn't talking about the iconbar (which is actually called the Toolbar if you look closely). I was talking about the Titlebar for grouped windows. Each new entry in the group provides another 'tab'. But regardless of this, you STILL misunderstood me even if I was talking about the Toolbar as this has the same behaviour with a collection of non-grouped windows. Anyway, regarding the group's Titlebar - imagine you have 4 xterms grouped, and you add a fifth - the 'tabs' in the Titlebar all resize themselves, this means the location where the 4th (say) item was has now changed. In fact they have all changed. This is a consequence of scaling the tabs to match the width, and it means you have to actually think when moving the mouse to click on them (not always a bad thing), because they are constantly changing as you create/close/iconify/deiconify windows. This goes against the concept of spatial association - with fluxbox 0.1.14 tabs, you can create a subconcious association with the position of a tab on the absolute screen with a window (hidden in a group or not). Imagine you use the third tabbed xterm for a serial console. If the tabs move around as you add and remove new items to the group, then it might always be the third tab, but the third tab is moving around the screen, and changing size! The spacial association is lost. Instead you have to revert to relative location methods, which might be fine to some people, but I find it harder, because no longer can you just remember 'screen location -> serial console' but now you have to remember that it's specifically the third tab, then locate the tab, wherever that happens to be at the time.

I placed a feature request to restore the old tab behaviour.

And you're exactly right, if I don't like it, I'll use something else. And I am. I'm using 0.1.14 again. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: