How do I get off DHCP?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tactless
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: How do I get off DHCP? Reply with quote

I've installed Gentoo using DHCP, and my golden days of a fixed IP are over. Since I often host Quake games, and like to SSH into my machine from friends' (just to show off, heh), I'd really like my fixed IP back... can anyone please write a short explanation about not using DHCP?

"If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate."

Jabber: tactless@amessage.info
mrchuckles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit /etc/conf.d/net. The directions there are pretty self-explanatory.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get off DHCP? Reply with quote

tactless wrote:
I've installed Gentoo using DHCP, and my golden days of a fixed IP are over. Since I often host Quake games, and like to SSH into my machine from friends' (just to show off, heh), I'd really like my fixed IP back... can anyone please write a short explanation about not using DHCP?
Do you actually have a static IP from your ISP?
Echo5ive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get off DHCP? Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

My ISP has. It's not unheard of.
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get off DHCP? Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

Heh... if he does, then it wouldn't matter that he's using DHCP, because it would be giving him the same IP address every time. More likely, he's on a lan with a cable/dsl router or something...?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get off DHCP? Reply with quote

Echo5ive wrote:
kanuslupus wrote:

My ISP has. It's not unheard of.
I'm aware of that. I was wanting to know if he had a static IP. If he does, it is fairly simple. If his ISP doesn't provide a static IP, then he's stuck with DHCP.
mrchuckles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Technically, no. I have a cable modem, and my provider uses DHCP. However, my IP address hasn't changed in the nine months I've lived in my house. I use a static internal IP on my Gentoo box so my router always knows where to forward incoming connections.

I use a dynamic IP addressing service (dyndns.org), so that I always have a hostname that points to my router's IP address. My router then forwards incoming connections to the approriate boxes. I use this to ssh and sftp into my box from work to grab needed files, run an emerge, etc.

Because my IP addresses rarely changes, I use dyndns's "mostly static" service. They have a dynamic service designed for people who's IPs change frequently. You can then use some client software to update the dynamic IP providers DNS servers automatically. They have client software for Win32, Mac, and Linux. Best of all, this service is entirelly free.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get off DHCP? Reply with quote

reverius42 wrote:
kanuslupus wrote:

Heh... if he does, then it wouldn't matter that he's using DHCP, because it would be giving him the same IP address every time. More likely, he's on a lan with a cable/dsl router or something...?

tactless wrote:
I've installed Gentoo using DHCP, and my golden days of a fixed IP are over.
Suggests he isn't maintaining a single IP.
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchuckles wrote:
Quote:

Technically, no.

I think he was asking someone else... possibly tactless, whom he was quoting at the time. :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchuckles wrote:
Quote:

Technically, no. I have a cable modem, and my provider uses DHCP. However, my IP address hasn't changed in the nine months I've lived in my house. I use a static internal IP on my Gentoo box so my router always knows where to forward incoming connections.

I use a dynamic IP addressing service (dyndns.org), so that I always have a hostname that points to my router's IP address. My router then forwards incoming connections to the approriate boxes. I use this to ssh and sftp into my box from work to grab needed files, run an emerge, etc.

Because my IP addresses rarely changes, I use dyndns's "mostly static" service. They have a dynamic service designed for people who's IPs change frequently. You can then use some client software to update the dynamic IP providers DNS servers automatically. They have client software for Win32, Mac, and Linux. Best of all, this service is entirelly free.
Handy information. I think I noticed a lease on my IP for some ridiculous number of days like 12k or something. I'll have to check that out. I always thought that you could lose an IP before the lease had expired though. Perhaps that was just something odd in Win NT.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only pain is that they drop you from their dynamic list if you don't do an update within 30 days. Since my client updated only on IP changes and my IP hasn't changed in about 3 years(!), I kept having to go back and re-register. Never got around to putting in a timed update in the client... I now use the static service they provide. Works nicely.
mrchuckles wrote:
Because my IP addresses rarely changes, I use dyndns's "mostly static" service. They have a dynamic service designed for people who's IPs change frequently. You can then use some client software to update the dynamic IP providers DNS servers automatically....
tactless
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchukle's suggestion seems to be right... however, I have no idea what values I should put there. I'll try using dyndns.org first.

mrchuckles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
however, I have no idea what values I should put there

You can't just put anything there. Assuming you have a single computer hooked-up to an Internet connection, you need to get an IP address from your ISP to put in there, as well as the subnet mask, broadcast address, and default gateway. You'll need to get the DNS servers to put on in you're /etc/resolv.conf.

If you're on a network with a DHCP server, you'll need to pick and address for your PC that's not handled by the DHCP server, but is still on the same subnet. Either that, or create a reservation for your chosen IP on the DHCP server.

If all of the above is over your head, perhaps you'd better just leave well enough alone, and stick with DHCP.
tactless
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got myself a dyndns account, and it works great.
I know that setting a static IP works with my connection, because that's how Mandrake, Redhat and Windows had it working... it's not even a real IP address, just an internal one in our WAN. I was worried that maybe dyndns won't handle that, but it does. ddclient is also available in portage :)

booyeah451
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: dns2go Reply with quote

tactless wrote:
Got myself a dyndns account, and it works great.
I know that setting a static IP works with my connection, because that's how Mandrake, Redhat and Windows had it working... it's not even a real IP address, just an internal one in our WAN. I was worried that maybe dyndns won't handle that, but it does. ddclient is also available in portage :)

If your dns2go account times out and doesnt work, tell me and I will send you a script thats a keep alive for dns2go. Sometimes I ran into the problem where it would not work after 5 days...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: