Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Menu entries in KDE 3 for non-KDE apps are gone...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrSnyder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Menu entries in KDE 3 for non-KDE apps are gone... Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am still new to Gentoo Linux, but I have to say that it rocks!

However, there are some things I am trying to figure out at the moment:

- I emerged a bit around with the latest KDE-versions (3.01 -> 3.02) and at some point, the automatically generated menu entries for non-KDE apps (Galeon, Evolution, Ethereal, Mozilla, etc.) where gone! I don't understand at which point they were created neither when they vanished. I rebuilt KDE but it didn't change a thing... removing my .kde3 folder / rebuilding mozilla didn't work either! Any ideas?

- After the latest KDE update (3.02), Konqueror often hangs - after that, newly spawned instances of Konqueror just don't do anything (no windows appear). When I kill KDE and all processes that seem to belong to it, I am unable to login again -- the splash screen stops when initializing system services. Only thing that works is init 1; init 3... Someone got that one, too?

Any help / comments appreciated!

Regards,
Markus
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get menu entries again, run kappfinder. It'll look for known non-kde apps, and place them in the menu.

As for konqueror, try starting it from a terminal and check the output. It might give a hint about the problem.
MrSnyder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Thanks -- that was the clue I was looking for! Reply with quote

I didn't realize that I had run kappfinder, though.

The Konqueror problem persists -- unfortunately it just does nothing when I start it from the commandline, no output, no errors...
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks -- that was the clue I was looking for! Reply with quote

MrSnyder wrote:
I didn't realize that I had run kappfinder, though.

The Konqueror problem persists -- unfortunately it just does nothing when I start it from the commandline, no output, no errors...

If think it is auto run a 1st login or install, can't remember. Maybe stuff in your ~/.kde is causing problems.

Try creating another user, and login in with his account, does the problem persist :?:

If not, and everthing is OK with the newly created user, try backing up or .kde dir (it is a symlink to the actual dir .kde3 or .kde31 depends on what you've got installed). Remove it and start kde.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: