ISP blocking ports
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starnix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: ISP blocking ports Reply with quote

Is there any way to get around the fact that my ISP is blocking my ports to prevent serving web, ftp, mail, etc? I am kinda new to this serving thing and I have no alternative ISP for broadband in my town. Any help would be appreciated.
lutzh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there isn't. At least not if you don't count hacking your ISPs router/firewall or moving to another town as solutions.

That is a weird little ISP, though, I never heard of something like that. I would think, if you have a dial-up or DSL style connection, your upstream is very small anyway (I think the best you get is like 256kBit/s for ADSL), so your ISP should not be bothered, and if you have a dedicated line or SDSL, it's usually so high-priced that nobody would take it if their ports where blocked.

Plus, it seems odd that you don't have ISPs that operate nationwide in your country. For dial-up, I mean.

You see, I can't help you at all, but your post got me really curious.
klarnox
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Web and ftp can be run on pretty much any ports you wish with only a little work on your part. There are guides all over the Internet on how to do this.

As far as mail being blocked, you're out of luck. As far as I know there is nothing you can do to get around the blocked port (without hacking your ISP).
williamv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klarnox wrote:
As far as mail being blocked, you're out of luck. As far as I know there is nothing you can do to get around the blocked port (without hacking your ISP).

This isn't true. Any service can be run on any port. The problem lies at the client side. Any web browser is going to try to connect on port 80 but if you type in the address like http://somedomain.com:8080/ then it will use port 8080 to connect. It's the same with ftp, mail, ssh, rsh, telnet, mysql, or any other daemon . You just need to adjust the software that you are using to connect to it to use the new port.
nbensa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamv wrote:
This isn't true. Any service can be run on any port.

Except you can't tell -with DNS MX records- that MTAs should use port 2525 :-(

My old ISP (Fibertel, in Argentina) blocked port 25.

Fibertel sucks by the way :twisted:
williamv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbensa wrote:

Except you can't tell -with DNS MX records- that MTAs should use port 252
The MX record has nothing do do with ports. DNS is a name to ip resolver thats all. The client software (i.e. evolution, Outlook, Eudora) needs to be told to connect on 2525 or what ever port you are trying to use.
klarnox
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The email client isn't the only problem here. When other mail servers attempt to send mail to his server it's going to be on port 25, no way around it. So his mail server will be able to send messages but not receive them (because port 25 is blocked).
Squinky86
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to post a "me too". My cable modem provider started blocking port 25 and it caused an uproar, but I can't really argue with them.
Luckily, they have smtp, so I installed ssmtp and was good to go with my new mta :). It's actually better than sendmail/postfix/qmail for me- it doesn't run in daemon mode and is fast.
As for the other services, all you can really do is run them on different ports. I still have port 80, so I'm happy I've found workarounds for the port(s?) they have blocked.
Haro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charter.net in wisconsin blocks ports 25, 80 and 21 (probably more), so I run my webserver on port 81, and ftp (rarely) on port 121. Easy work arounds, although annoying.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ISP is starting to be a bitch.

They used to be the "best Cable ISP in America", now I think they've sunk, a lot.

When I first got cable, I was the first on the block (sad, but true), about 3 or 4 years ago. Coverage was spotty for a bit, but now it's great. But they've blocked all my ports, or most, because I "upload too much" off my server. My dad pays for Cable, not just downloads, but uploads too. So it's a pain. I wish there was a geek friendly nation-wide ISP. That'd make everything so much happier...
revertex
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi people, dunno why i haven't found this tread before.

We share the same pain, but my scenario seems the worst one.

My stupid, crappy, dumbass ISP blocks not only ports like 80, 21, and others well know ports used by server services, it block's almost everything!!

My computer hasn't any kind of firewall,(welcome scriptkids!) nor my adsl/router, but probing my ip for open ports it shows everything is closed, blocked or in stealth state.

(tools used to concluded this: ethereal, ntop, nessus, nmap and shields-up from www.grc.com)

Facts: i cannot run any kind of server services (exept a mta, port 25 seems open, it seems they don't care with spammers).

Can't play tons of on-line games, (included Enemy Territory).

Can't host a game server.

Can't send, recive any kind of file using yahoo, msn, aol messenger.(jabber not tested).

Voice chat does't work too.

Donkey/mule network does't work.(fasttrack works fine, but who cares? just a pr0n p2p network).

Netmeeting/Gnomemeeting does't transmit/recive any kind of sound/image or files.

My ISP use some kind of proxy running the well hated for me SecurePoint Firewall, it seems analize all traffic to decide what will be blocked in realtime.

Needless to say i can't redirect any service to a higher port because are all closed/blocked.

Note: its the biggest adsl provider in my coutry (it isn't a communist country).

At least people here seems only use internet to pr0n surf, pr0n mass download via fasttrack, irc (at least only chat works, not well tested), warez download, chat rooms (more pr0n), pop mail to read their spam and spread worms and viruses as usual.

Marvelous country to live...far away any computer.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, what country is that??
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: