few questions about first install and make kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xHypnos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: few questions about first install and make kernel Reply with quote

Hi, I have a first instalation gentoo from install-x86-minimal-20121213 and a I have a few questions. Please If you answer me.
1) This compilation is stage3 ?
2)I make first kernel without genkernel:
Code:
livecd etc # time emerge gentoo-sources  ---------What is this?

real  2m51.435s
user  0m58.220s
sys   0m29.890s
livecd etc # cd /usr/src/linux
livecd linux # make menuconfig
(Configure your kernel)
livecd linux # time make -j2

(Elapsed time depends highly on the options you selected)
real  3m51.962s
user  3m27.060s
sys   0m24.310s

livecd linux # make modules_install
livecd linux # cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel

3) I have do a kernel, if I change something and compile new kernel, I must again compile everything package of software with new kernel? Or no?
4)I make a kernel, why is in handbook next steps if I choose type CPU: Why this setup cpu? If I INTEL Core2DUO, what I setting?
Code:
Code Listing 2.38: Last edit of make.conf

mybox etc # cd portage
mybox portage # nano -w make.conf
(Set -march to your CPU type in CFLAGS)
[b][color=red]CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe"[/color][/b]
(Only add the following if you know what you're doing)
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

5) mirror list
I am from CZ, and in mirror.list obout 5 links from my country. I Used only ONE link, or check all from Czech republic?

6) Why in handbook quick install dont writing about installing Xorg? Or including in next step in emerge kde, or emerge gnome?
7) Can you tell me most use command emerge --, for upgrade all system, upgrade packake, check update, install package with switch and etc.

Thanks for your answer.

PS: Sorry to my English.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1)The current minimal install cd is made from the current iso, install-amd64-minimal-20130110.iso
The current stage3 version is stage3-amd64-20130130.tar.bz2
Stage3 is precompiled.

2)"emerge gentoo-sources" will cause the current ebuild to be downloaded to /usr/portage/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources/* (if necessary) and will then execute the ebuild which will download and install the kernel source files to /usr/src/linux-x.y.z-gentoo, where x,y,z would be a version number.

3)If the same kernel version is recompiled with a change to its configuration you should not need to recompile external programs in most cases. If a new kernel version is compiled some external programs may need to be recompiled; usually drivers for video.

4)Setting an advanced cpu type in the kernel configuration allows use of advanced cpu instructions that are not available to a generic processor. "(*) Core 2/newer Xeon" would be your choice in menuconfig. 'CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe"' would be your choice in /etc/portage/make.conf. ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" would not be appropriate, you are working with amd64/x86_64 architecture.

5)Not entering any mirror list allows an excellent load balancing system to work.

6)There are individual guides for going into the GUI and individual choices approach infinity.

7)See Working with Gentoo and Working with Portage sections of the handbook. run man portage.
for upgrade all system: "emerge -uND system" for build tools; "emerge -uND world" for everything.
upgrade package: "emerge -uND package"
check update: "emerge --sync" followed by "emerge -uNDav world"
install package with switch: for gentoo "switch" is called use flag. The use flags you need for most purposes are combined in groups called profiles. Run eselect profile list to see what profiles exiest. If you decide to add global use flags edit make.conf. /etc/portage/package. use allows setting use flags per package.

Welcome and good luck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: