install kernel modules... how?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glawrie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: install kernel modules... how? Reply with quote

I'm trying to get my first ever Gentoo system up and running - but it is proving a challenge... :cry:

I have got Gentoo to boot to a terminal screen on my Athlon XP / nforce system. I've tried to use the LiveCD / Stage 3 files, but not at all sure how well it has worked - the instructions, though comprehensive, are rather opaque - and I've not worked out an easy way to work out what is or isn't going on...

Anyhow - I've got as far as the desktop.xml help file, and got XFree86 installed, and can get startx to give me a view of Nautilus desktop - but mouse and keyboard don't work and so have to red-switch it and reboot to get out of this. My system has a USB mouse and keyboard (Logitech Internet Navigator, and MX500 if that helps). I've got a USB to serial converter - and so the keyboard currently is plugged in via that, and works OK in the terminal environment. The mouse is still plugged in via USB, and seems not to work...

The instructions in desktop.xml helpfully say at this stage that...

Quote:
The first thing that has to be done is the installation of the kernel modules. The modules that will be needed for a USB mouse to work are usbmouse, mousedev, hid, usbcore, usb-uhci, and input. After the necessary kernel configuration is done, insmod the modules.

... but give no indication of how one might do this. I also don't know if this might have been done by the LiveCD install etc. Aaagh!

Could someone point me at whatever muppet level documentation might help me work out what to do next? What I need to know is how to install kernel modules, and / or check what kernel modules are installed / loading etc. already. Also - what does 'insmod' do - it didn't feature at all in the installation page instructions...

I'm sure it is obvious to experienced bods - but it is very nearly all greek to me...

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Gavin
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It now becomes a litle more difficult... you actually have to compile your own kernel! This is done with
Code:
genkernel --config
or manually. See the installation guide ch.16 for details. For USB mouse & keyboard there are further instructions in a Gentoo forum: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=79
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one has more replies... :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: