About to give up on Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonstaThrilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: About to give up on Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi,

Last night I made my second attempt at installing Gentoo. The first problem I have is that the LiveCD refuses to recognize my USB Logitech Elite keyboard. I have to plug it into the PS2 port and thus lose all its features in WinXP.

Secondly, I can't get the MBR/Grub setup right, and last night I ended up wiping out my WinXP partition trying to do fixmbr and fixboot from the WinXP install CD after Grub failed.

I'm still in the process of rebuilding my XP system.

Here's a little partition table:

WinXP (hd0,0)
Gentoo boot (hd0,4)
Gentoo swap (hd0,5)
Gentoo root (hd0,6)

I've followed the FAQs on these forums about setting up a dual boot on a single hard disk but there are so many diverging opinions and none of the solutions have worked.

I tried using the technique from a FAQ here of making a .bin and using NTLoader to choose between WinXP and GRUB. I got WinXP booting but not GRUB.

I tried using the install manual's suggestion of writing GRUB to the MBR to boot Gentoo or WinXP. That made Gentoo boot but not WinXP. When I tried to fix the MBR using the WinXP install CD's "fixboot" and "fixmbr" utils, those ended up destroying the WinXP partition.

The problem I have lies in the fact that WinXP is on (hd0,0) and so is the MBR. This corrupts the WinXP NTLoader somehow. During the Gentoo install, I ran the grub commands:

Code:

grub> root (hd0,0) (Your boot partition)
grub> setup (hd0) (Where the boot record is installed; here, it is the MBR)

My grub.conf looked something like this:

Code:

# If you're using genkernel, use something like this instead:
title=My example Gentoo Linux (genkernel)
root (hd0,4)
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/kernel-KV root=/dev/hde7
initrd (hd0,6)/boot/initrd-KV

# Below needed only for people who dual-boot
title=Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

All that was straight from the manual.

I've installed Mandrake, RedHat, and SuSE with the same exact setup (WinXP on (hd0,0)) and they had no problems using GRUB successfully to dual boot. I really want to run Gentoo but I can't find an authoritative way to fix this problem...

Thanks.
incubator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm, dunno if it may help you, but I´m using lilo, it´s easier to config, but that didnt really dual boot xp + gentoo either.
Instead, I´m using 2 seperate hdd´s and whenever I want to go to gentoo, I set in the BIOS standard CMOS options wich hdd is enabled :)
that way xp wont be confused anymore (because in my case xp isnt on the first hdd)

so, if all else fails, perhaps this might be an alternative 8)
jtp755
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should use grub>root (hdo,4) and im not sure where you would want to install grub to since you dont want to use it to boot both gentoo and xp
MonstaThrilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtp755 wrote:
you should use grub>root (hdo,4) and im not sure where you would want to install grub to since you dont want to use it to boot both gentoo and xp

Whoops. That was a copy and paste mistake. I did do a grub> root(hd0,4).

I got GRUB to boot Gentoo but not WinXP. When I tried to select WinXP during bootup, GRUB would just restart and not do anything. Gentoo would boot though (although it wasn't pretty when it did :D ).

I do want to use it to boot both Gentoo and XP.
warrenj1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: About to give up on Gentoo Reply with quote

MonstaThrilla wrote:
Hi,

Code:

# If you're using genkernel, use something like this instead:
title=My example Gentoo Linux (genkernel)
root (hd0,4)
initrd (hd0,6)/boot/initrd-KV

# Below needed only for people who dual-boot
title=Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

All that was straight from the manual.

I've installed Mandrake, RedHat, and SuSE with the same exact setup (WinXP on (hd0,0)) and they had no problems using GRUB successfully to dual boot. I really want to run Gentoo but I can't find an authoritative way to fix this problem...

Thanks.

the problem is in your grub.conf where you referenced kernel-KV
next in red on the docs it says:

Warning: Substitute KV with the kernel version you have installed.

this depends on which build you are using but something usually like kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r5 i beleve is the latest when you finish the genkernel build it will give you the actual file name. Also if you "ls" your boot partition it will show it as well
MonstaThrilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: About to give up on Gentoo Reply with quote

Quote:

the problem is in your grub.conf where you referenced kernel-KV
next in red on the docs it says:

No, that was just a copy and paste job from the manual. I did replace KV with what I have.

Again, the problem I have is writing to the MBR (which is on (hd0,0)) when WinXP is also on (hd0,0). Somehow when GRUB writes itself to the MBR, it messes up how WinXP boots.
2k..
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there,

i used an older installation guide so i'm not familiar with the one you used, however the gentoo entry in my grub.conf file looks like this

Code:

title Gentoo
    root(hd0,0)
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3

hope this helps a little?

Mike

note (should have realised to refresh the screen after having conversation!)

Last edited by 2k.. on Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
D. M. P. inc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnt give up. i did 5 reinstallation of xp and gentoo b4 i made both work

try lookin at this post

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=95850
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: About to give up on Gentoo Reply with quote

MonstaThrilla wrote:

Code:

probably just a typo but according to your layout u should have 'root=/dev/hda7' in your grub conf.

if u cannot get it to work u can also use a bootdisk to boot into linux meanwhile...
MonstaThrilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: About to give up on Gentoo Reply with quote

slartibartfasz wrote:
MonstaThrilla wrote:

Code:

probably just a typo but according to your layout u should have 'root=/dev/hda7' in your grub conf.

if u cannot get it to work u can also use a bootdisk to boot into linux meanwhile...

Actually, that is right (odd I know). The drive is on a seperate ULTRA ATA IDE card and so it is hde. The reason GRUB still sees it as (hd0) is because its the first hard disk on the system. The manual has a little blurb about this idiosyncracy.
antisthenes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's one solution:

Since WinXP got wiped anyway, put it on (hd0,1). Then put this in your grub.conf:

rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

And put the /boot partition for Gentoo on (hd0,0). Works better that way.

This is mostly a problem with the Windows bootloader, which is horribly primitive (XP doesn't even install on an extended partition). When I installed XPPro to play around with it, it did funky things to my MBR as well.
3lue9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Make sure you match the numbers correctly Reply with quote

The first time I installed gentoo, I wiped out my windows partition too, so don't feel too bad. The usb/keyboard issue can be resolved post install, remember the CD is not as up to date as the tree.

Well, to get the dual boot you really have to make sure you alter the numbers corresponding to your own particular setup.

Here is my grub file:
default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux (genkernel)
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6
initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r6

title=Windows 2000
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

Notice, I have my /boot partition on hda2 and my windows partition on hda1. Now here are a couple of things I did the second time to make the install a little easier and then some of these are reminders for something you may have missed.
(1) Don't spend too much time configuring windows, just in case.
(2) Put grub into the MBR
(3) Make sure to make /boot the only bootable option
(4) Use genkernel for now (you can always go back to compile the kernel)
(5) Remember grub is 0 based while hdaX is 1
(6) Double check the numbers for hdaX and grub, in fact go through and write down all of <b>your</b> numbers so that you won't make a mistake.

If none of this works, please provide the fdisk table information.
MonstaThrilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm gonna try the suggestion of installing WinXP on (hd0,1) and making /boot (hd0,0). The install manual has Windows on (hd0,5), but I think that would be impossible since Windows can only be installed on primary partitions.

Unfortunately the box I'm trying to install this on critically needs to be in a working state, so I won't try to install Gentoo until next weekend or later.

Thanks again...
NicholasDWolfwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no problems in my setup...

/dev/hdb1 - Windows NTFS (hd1,0)
/dev/hdb5 - Linux Swap
/dev/hdb6 - Linux Root (hd1,6)
/dev/hdb7 - Linux Boot

GRUB:

grub> root (hd1,6) #My Linux /boot partition
grub> setup (hd0) #The MBR of my first HD, 120GB Windows NTFS

grub.conf:

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd1,6)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd1,5)
kernel (hd1,6)/bzImage-2.6 root=/dev/hdb6 hdc=ide-scsi

title=Windows XP Professional
root (hd1,0)
chainloader (hd1,0)+1

"Gentoo Linux" boots straight into my 2.6.0-test6-mm4 kernel, and "Windows XP Professional" boots straight into my XP Pro...works perfectly fine, once again...I don't know what your problem is
40GB WD 7200RPM (37.1GB)
120GB WD 8MB 7200RPM (111GB)
160GB WD 8MB 7200RPM (149GB)
40GB WD 7200RPM (37.1GB)
Pioneer DVR-A06 4x DVD±RW
HP CD-RW 9500i (12x8x32x)
MonstaThrilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NicholasDWolfwood wrote:
There's no problems in my setup...

/dev/hdb1 - Windows NTFS (hd1,0)
/dev/hdb5 - Linux Swap
/dev/hdb6 - Linux Root (hd1,6)
/dev/hdb7 - Linux Boot

GRUB:

grub> root (hd1,6) #My Linux /boot partition
grub> setup (hd0) #The MBR of my first HD, 120GB Windows NTFS

So you don't have your OS installed on hd0? Its just a disk formatted as NTFS?

I think my problem is that Windows is installed on (hd0,0), and when GRUB tries to write to the MBR on (hd0,0) something screwy happens to the Windows bootloader.
NicholasDWolfwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's not on hd0...the MBR is NOT supposed to be written to (hd0,0) because that's disc 0 partition 0...it should be written to disc0 (hd0)
40GB WD 7200RPM (37.1GB)
120GB WD 8MB 7200RPM (111GB)
160GB WD 8MB 7200RPM (149GB)
40GB WD 7200RPM (37.1GB)
Pioneer DVR-A06 4x DVD±RW
HP CD-RW 9500i (12x8x32x)
ben_h
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, getting Windows installed should be done first I think. It's so damn picky; in my experience,

-- It has to be on the first drive in the system (only during the install; easiest to just pull power on any drives before it for the install, and plug them back in afterwards)
-- It has to be a primary partition (as others have noted)
-- It has to be the first Win-compatible partition on the drive, or it'll spray its booting files all over the first partition it sees (partition flags can just be changed to Linux or something during the install, and it'll ignore them).

Conclusion: Bloody Microsoft.

In regards to booting with grub, both setups (your original and the new one you're trying) should work fine. When I still had Windows installed, iirc, it was hda3 (had a small DOS partition on hda1, and gentoo's / partition was hda2). Basically just get all the M$ os'es installed and working, then start on the proper ones. 8)

Also, remember that it's fine to hose the MBR -- Windows puts its boot record both in the MBR, and in its partition's BR. then, assuming Win is on hde2 now, which should be (hd0,1), just boot it with
Code:
title=blowsXP
    root (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1

`makeactive' is only required if the partition isn't marked active, which you can just do in fdisk when you partition. It's a once-off job.
MonstaThrilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NicholasDWolfwood wrote:
Nope, it's not on hd0...the MBR is NOT supposed to be written to (hd0,0) because that's disc 0 partition 0...it should be written to disc0 (hd0)

Ohhhh. I think I may have written the MBR to (hd0,0) rather than just (hd0). Which would explain why it destroyed the Windows bootloader (since Windows is on (hd0,0)).

Thanks.
torque2k3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-- It has to be the first Win-compatible partition on the drive, or it'll spray its booting files all over the first partition it sees (partition flags can just be changed to Linux or something during the install, and it'll ignore them).

Not necessarily... My HP ePC has a stupid "config" partition first, then an NTFS partition for XP Pro. I used Acronis Partition Expert http://www.acronis.com/products/partitionexpert/ to shrink my NTFS partition to make room for Gentoo, until such a time as I can get it to do everything I have XP doing right now (ICS for a dialup, firewall, NAT, file/print share).

To add to everyone else's "here's my setup", my partition table (use fdisk -l /dev/hd?):
Code:
Disk /dev/hda: 20.4 GB, 20404101120 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2480 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1         2     16033+  12  Compaq diagnostics
/dev/hda2             3      1572  12611025    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda3   *      1573      1576     32130   83  Linux
/dev/hda4          1577      2480   7261380    5  Extended
/dev/hda5          1577      1669    746991   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda6          1670      2167   4000153+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7          2168      2416   2000061    c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda8          2417      2480    514048+  83  Linux

Here's my /etc/fstab:
Code:
/dev/hda3               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime         1 1
/dev/hda6               /               reiserfs        noatime                0 0
/dev/hda5               none            swap            sw                     0 0
/dev/hda7               /home           vfat            noauto,rw,exec,uid=root,gid=windows,umask=007                   0 0
/dev/hda8               /var            reiserfs        noatime                0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro              0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none                    /proc           proc            defaults               0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults               0 0

...and here's my /boot/grub/grub.conf:
Code:
default 0
timeout 15
splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux (2.4.20-gentoo-r6)
root (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,2)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda6
initrd (hd0,2)/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r6

#For dual-booting Windows
title=Windows XP Pro
root (hd0,1)
chainloader (hd0,1)+1

Hope this helps. This was my first install of Gentoo onto a shared XP box, and it went swimmingly first time out. Hardest thing was not messing up the different numbers between grub and normal system. Second hardest thing was getting Gentoo to use the FAT32 partition for /home... OK, so it's not the most secure setup! ;)

Peace, and stick with it! I've been a Gentoo lover since 1.1, and haven't regretted it (much), as it's really taught me how to work through all the little nagging issues Linux can throw at you. No one said it was EASIER to learn than Windows, though, especially when you sit and realize you've had years to learn all the idiosyncracies (sp) of Windows... :roll: It's been a long time since I thought about how difficult it was for me to switch gears from my Amiga to a DOS-based system!

Good luck,
Dan
tony_t73
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Dual boting XP and Genoo? Tried LILO?!? Reply with quote

There's a much, much easier way to do this using LILO...
I, too, HAD to keep my XP running at the same time as Gentoo. I found that little install guide for dual booting XP and Gentoo, and it was not worth the trouble at all... For my two cents, the LILO boot loader works many times better- and it makes sense. I know that it's the "old" way, but it really works. This is what you do: (BTW- I already had GRUB installed, and having the two bootloaders could have been problematic- as it says in the documentation. But it wasn't...)

emerge LILO

you can either do
emerge -p lilo
or just simply get it out there with
emerge -k lilo

Then you want to run

nano -w /etc/lilo.conf

Follow the instructions in the installation instructions exactly. You should get something like this:

Code:
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
lba32
default=WinXPPro

#If you compiled your own kernel:
image=/boot/bzImage
label=Gentoo
read-only
root=/dev/hda4

#If you used genkernel:
image=/boot/kernel-KV
label=gkGentoo
root=/dev/hda4
initrd=/boot/initrd-KV
append="root=/dev/hda4 init=/linuxrc"

#For Windows:
other=/dev/hda1
label=WinXPPro

Just as it says in the install guide, the bzImage you should have from your install if you didn't use genkernel. otherwise, replace KV with the kernelversion you have. (For me the KV was kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6)

This is my setup. You can change the labels (name you want displayed to discern your OS's) to whatever you want- REMEMBER to change your default variable to the label name of the OS you want booted first. I needed XP to be the default OS, so I chose the label from the "other" section- WinXPPro. If you want Gentoo, choose "Gentoo" as default.

In your case, you are booting windows from /dev/hda1, so that stays the same. You need only change the root partition to /dev/hda7 for your system.

After you are finished editing, save and exit. then simply run:

Code:
/sbin/lilo

And make a backup, disc!!!

Good luck, and if you need anything else, you can PM me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: