cp -R problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: cp -R problem Reply with quote

I'm having a bit of a problem when I run the CP -R /mnt/cdrom/distfiles /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles For some reason I get a segmentational fault error and then gentoo crashes. It's done it quite a few times and I don't know how to resolve it. Please help!!!
I have a screen shot I took with my digital cam for anyone who wants it. Just email me and I'll email it to you.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: cp -R problem Reply with quote

Visseroth wrote:
I'm having a bit of a problem when I run the CP -R /mnt/cdrom/distfiles /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles For some reason I get a segmentational fault error and then gentoo crashes. It's done it quite a few times and I don't know how to resolve it. Please help!!!
I have a screen shot I took with my digital cam for anyone who wants it. Just email me and I'll email it to you.

Send it to me. I'll try to help.

Just one thing... have you tried

Code:
CP -R /mnt/cdrom/distfiles /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/

This way it should work... that'll copy the directory 'distfiles' with all of it's files inside the directory portage/
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not yet, but I'll try in install again here in a sec and see what happens and I'll also try to send you that pic if I can find your email address or what ever
Visseroth@hotmail.com
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: ok, problem solved NOW WHAT!!! Reply with quote

ok, getting just a little pissy now and am keeping in mind that no one here is the cause of the problems but I get passed the pc -R problem and get Gentoo installed (or so I think) and got grub somewhat up and running and what the heck fricken happens!?!?!?! the damn thing says, "Error 17. Could not mount selected partition
Press any key to continue"

OK!!! so can someone tell me what I did wrong seeing as how I'm not computer stupid but I am no programmer and to damn F(*&(*&* new to linux and it's all Bill F)*()(*^ Gates fault!!!
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: ok, problem solved NOW WHAT!!! Reply with quote

Visseroth wrote:
ok, getting just a little pissy now and am keeping in mind that no one here is the cause of the problems but I get passed the pc -R problem and get Gentoo installed (or so I think) and got grub somewhat up and running and what the heck fricken happens!?!?!?! the damn thing says, "Error 17. Could not mount selected partition
Press any key to continue"

OK!!! so can someone tell me what I did wrong seeing as how I'm not computer stupid but I am no programmer and to damn F(*&(*&* new to linux and it's all Bill F)*()(*^ Gates fault!!!

Could you give us info about your partitions using fdisk and 'p' command?
Also tell us what you plan to use each partition would be useful...
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Partition Reply with quote

OK, I have two hard drives, Win 2K on one and I'm trying to put linux on the other.
I'm setting up the MBR on the second hard drive (the onet that linux is going on) to have grub so when I boot the system I can specify to boot from the second hard drive and if I want to run windows then I'll select it in the menu, but if grub doesn't load properly then I'll tell the bios to boot from the first hard drive and by-pass the problem all together and this way I don't have to worry about messing up the Windows boot sector.
But anyhow my grub configuration goes like this (Assuming this is what you are asking for

default 0
timeout 60
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux Starts Here!!!
root (hd1.0)
kernel (hd1.0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gaming-r3 root=/dev/hdb3 vga=795
initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gaming-r3

title=Windows 2000
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

ok, there you have it, oh and my patition table for Linux is setup as the document is
hdb1 = boot ext3fs
hdb2 = swap
Hdb3 = root reiserfs
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know exactly how to help you on this... let's see:

- you create the partitions
- then you try to copy a directory located in your CD to your hard drive and it doesn't let you
- now you say you are unable to mount the partition

I would suggest you to check again that your partitions are correct and well formatted before trying anything else.
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say formatted you mean mkreiserfs, right?? cause if so I did that! maybe it was something else. There was a error that I got while compiling the kernel, here, let me check to see what it was again......
ahh, "mv bzimage to /boot/kernel-2.4.20-gaming-r3" was unable to move for some reason, could that be the cause of the problem
Oh and as for the cp -R problem, that was solved with the first suggestion you had. it worked, now this is my other problem I've come accross.
AcidTripp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take this the wrong way, but if your kernel (aka, the operating system itself!) didn't copy correctly, then yeah... that is your problem.
Make sure that reiserfs support is compiled in to the kernel (don't even bother with a module...) and just use:
Code:
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot

Or something close (not on linux right now... work sucks).
Don't try to organize your kernels until you get a running system.
Oh! and if you are post install, make sure that your boot partition is mounted... I've pulled that one a few times.
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and how do I find out if the gaming kernel supports reiserfs??
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visseroth wrote:
and how do I find out if the gaming kernel supports reiserfs??

It DOES support raiserfs, but did you tell your kernel to support it?
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: I didn't know Reply with quote

I didn't know I was supposed to tell the kernel to support it. Just followed the installation instructions as they are written
deepthought
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use genkernel to build a kernel which will definitely work. Then, after having a running system, compile a custom kernel.

Regards,
Alexander
Registered Linux User #317705
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deepthought wrote:
Use genkernel to build a kernel which will definitely work. Then, after having a running system, compile a custom kernel.

Regards,
Alexander

That's a wise idea... follow it! :wink:
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well I did use gentoo's genkernel, but I will do it all over again and see if I can get it to work but I have two questions
1. is it better to download all the emerge sync or use what is on the cd??
2. can you setup Grub after the installation is complete and if so where can I find instructions on how to do so?
deepthought
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are precise instructions howto setup GrUB in the Gentoo Linux 1.4 Installation Instructions. Read this first and try. If you have questions and/or problems afterwards reading, feel free to ask.

Regards,
Alexander
Registered Linux User #317705
jackgray
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Partition Reply with quote

Visseroth wrote:
OK, I have two hard drives, Win 2K on one and I'm trying to put linux on the other.
I'm setting up the MBR on the second hard drive (the onet that linux is going on) to have grub so when I boot the system I can specify to boot from the second hard drive and if I want to run windows then I'll select it in the menu, but if grub doesn't load properly then I'll tell the bios to boot from the first hard drive and by-pass the problem all together and this way I don't have to worry about messing up the Windows boot sector.
But anyhow my grub configuration goes like this (Assuming this is what you are asking for

default 0
timeout 60
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux Starts Here!!!
root (hd1.0)
kernel (hd1.0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gaming-r3 root=/dev/hdb3 vga=795
initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gaming-r3

title=Windows 2000
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

ok, there you have it, oh and my patition table for Linux is setup as the document is
hdb1 = boot ext3fs
hdb2 = swap
Hdb3 = root reiserfs

Hi, If I am reading this correctly it looks like you have (hd1.0) instead of (hd1,0) in a couple of places. If this is the case it would be the source of at least 2 problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: