Initrd question with Kernel Compile
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eX0t!c
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Initrd question with Kernel Compile Reply with quote

Ok I've compiled many vanilla kernels before when I used Slackware. I've recently moved to Gentoo and I wanna recompile my kernel I think I'll solve some issues with hangups when switch from X to the terminal aswell as shrink down the load time of the kernel. I've read the documentation given about Kernel Compiles on Gentoo.org but it hasn't helped me.

Step 1: cd to /usr/src/linux -- > make mrproper
Step 2: copy my config file to /usr/src/linux/.config
Step 3: make menuconfig ( affirm my config file loaded )
Step 4: make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make modules install
Step 5: get a snack
Step 6: mount /boot
Step 7: copy bzImage to /boot
Step 8: edit /etc/lilo.conf and execute lilo -v on the CLI.

When I try to boot my kernel the screen goes blank then a few seconds later there a bit of harddrive access. Which leads me to believe that I don't have the right console drivers installed.

Now i'm confused here, I noticed that 'genkernel' produces an initrd do I need that. Also a System.map file is created, when I compile a new kernel but from the same sources as genkernel did does the System.map need to be updated as well :?:

TIA,
Ryan
cyfred
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need an initrd no. But as you mentioned genkernel creates one and adds the information to lilo.conf to use one. Make sure you have removed and initrd references from the image that you are trying to boot.

Also what you might be experiencing is a non-working framebuffer, check what vga= options you have appended to the kernel image. If you do not have anything appended there, but are using a framebuffer then add vga=791 to the append section and see if that works.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: