View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: SpamAssassin with Thunderbird? Reply with quote

Is it possible to use SpamAssassin with Thunderbird?
I used to have SpamAssassin with Kmail. It was pretty easy to set up thanks to filters. With Thunderbird, I have quite fewer possibilities for filters though (I don't have a "pipe through" action, for example).

Any idea please? I don't want to use the Junk Mail control of Mozilla (for the sake of having spamassassin work first!)
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any way to have Thunderbird do it all for you, i.e., have Thunderbird pipe mail through spamassassin.

Assuming your mail is not delivered to localhost already (in which case you could set up and use spamassasin as described in their install docs), and that you need to get mail using IMAP or POP, you could use something like getmail (my preference for POP) or fetchmail to do the mail fetching for you, and have it send the messages to procmail, which calls spamassassin. Thunderbird could then be used to read the mail thus delivered. Not ideal, I know, but it should work.

I use a setup like this with gotmail (checks Hotmail) --- gotmail hands the mail off to procmail, which runs mail through spamassassin before delivering to a local mailbox. Works nicely, and I get the pleasure of seeing all my Hotmail spam disposed of efficiently. :)
jbla00
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird has built in baysian spamfiltering. Why not use that?

It worked (and still does) fine for me after a week or so of training.
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the sake of having SpamAssassin work jblao. I know I might get the same results with ThunderBird inner junk filter but I am stubborn.

Anyway the filter system of Thunderbird looks really poor. I wonder how hard it would be to take a peek at kmail's sourcecode (or sylpheed but I never used it) and adapt it to Thunderbird. Sounds like something fun to do during vacations.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: