View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fifer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: XFree86 Problems Reply with quote

First, how do i get my USB MS optical to work? I've followed the gentoo instructions but they don't work. Is there some other tut/guide on the web?
Second why does X crash when i startx? I entered my monitor freq's in correctly and chose nvidia driver. And also.. linux has been around for years how come noone has coded something that automaticly detects vidcard/monitor/mouse settings like windows does? Well i've been up 29 hours literally installing gentoo and i don't even have a nice pretty GUI to show for it :cry:
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: XFree86 Problems Reply with quote

fifer wrote:
First, how do i get my USB MS optical to work? I've followed the gentoo instructions but they don't work. Is there some other tut/guide on the web?
Second why does X crash when i startx? I entered my monitor freq's in correctly and chose nvidia driver. And also.. linux has been around for years how come noone has coded something that automaticly detects vidcard/monitor/mouse settings like windows does? Well i've been up 29 hours literally installing gentoo and i don't even have a nice pretty GUI to show for it :cry:
I have an optical mouse as well and no problems, so you should be able to get it working. Did you compile (and load) all the relevant kernel modules? If so, then please attach your full /etc/X11/XF86Config as well as the relevant parts of /var/log/XFree86.0.log
Brandy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.
fifer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The desktopcconfigguide tells me to "insmod" these usbmouse, mousedev, hid, usbcore, usb-uhci, and input. I don't know what that means
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fifer wrote:
The desktopcconfigguide tells me to "insmod" these usbmouse, mousedev, hid, usbcore, usb-uhci, and input. I don't know what that means
It means that you have to recompile the kernel with the correct options. Use either
Code:
genkernel --config
or
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
to compile a new kernel after specifiying changed options. These methods are described in the installation manual. The options to select are described elsewhere. If you compiled the relevant items as modules, then indeed you have to insert them into the kernel; either via
Code:
insmod usbmouse
etc., or by loading them from /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4 (you can simply edit this file with nano).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: