View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel very ashamed to admit I used winex. Fuck them and their greed.
LordDavon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neighborlee wrote:
linux advocacy dollars

Ummm... Gentoo is my Operating System; not my life. My dollars go into making myself a stable and reliable system. Gentoo cost me nothing. OpenOffice cost me nothing. If I spend $15 ($5 a month x 3 month minimum) on WineX (or nothing on Wine) over giving Microsoft $100 to create a dual boot machine or denying myself an app/game, so be it. My "linux advocacy dollars" are better spent on my children!

FYI: I don't have a dual boot system any longer. Wine was one of the reasons I was able to switch.

LD
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people do you really think have paid for, and continue to pay for, WineX monthly? I think a few hundred would be an optimistic number. Do you think that feeds the children of the programers? It doesn't. You know what does? Doing deals with other companies, in this case gaming companies. Transgaming backed someone who probably had no intention of porting their game to Linux. Transgaming employees need a paycheck. Its a pretty simple situation to figure out. Idealism is really nice, but in the real world eating is pretty important too.

I'd like to see Spy Hunter or whatever it is (i have absolutly no interest in the game at all) port or at least see a nice big working rating of 5 on Transgamings support list. But if it doesn't happen, so what? They're still going to get cash from the deal and that cash will be used for futher development on their main project: WineX. And you're kidding yourself if you think Wine hasn't benefitted from WineX.

I really don't see how this is such a problem.
Nicom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would much prefer a new porting company in a similar vein to loki, than a company like transgaming.
zakk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocnicom wrote:
I would much prefer a new porting company in a similar vein to loki, than a company like transgaming.

Check out Linux Game Publishing, they've ported and published a couple interesting titles listed in the url linked in my sig...
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Wouldn't we all. Until then, I guess we take what we can get, eh? If I can play games with WineX that I couldn't otherwise (like Max Payne) then thats a possitive for Linux, even if its a little one. And while releasing a game for Windows with no Linux counterpart is a little dubious, I don't fault them for it. Like it or not, everyone needs to make a buck some how. As long as WineX development doesn't suffer, I could care less what else Transgaming has their hands in. The second WineX development takes a back seat, I'll join in your boycotte, but as yet I just don't see that happening. *shrug*
neighborlee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurid wrote:
Heh. Wouldn't we all. Until then, I guess we take what we can get, eh? If I can play games with WineX that I couldn't otherwise (like Max Payne) then thats a possitive for Linux, even if its a little one. And while releasing a game for Windows with no Linux counterpart is a little dubious, I don't fault them for it. Like it or not, everyone needs to make a buck some how. As long as WineX development doesn't suffer, I could care less what else Transgaming has their hands in. The second WineX development takes a back seat, I'll join in your boycotte, but as yet I just don't see that happening. *shrug*

------------------------------------------

yes but you are paying transgaming to make a M$ game work in linux...i linux advoacy?...besides MOST of the games they claim work dont work 'that well'....IF and this is big IF....IF they ONLY made 'older'' games work and let the newer games made NATIVE ..that would force hand of developers instead of have running to keep up with M$'s api changes in their new games...

besides..what kind of a life do you have??? where you can't just 'deal' with what games linux DOES HAVE ;-)) ...think about it...send a message to developers that you wont tolerate windows games but that you demand linux only binaries and guess how rich linux will soon become...

fine let them back a buck..but do you remmeber that they made that buck on the back of the wine team and have given back like near zero for it PLUS they went back on their word of releasing it when they went to x number of subscribers....plus doesn't it seem hypocritical to you? when someone takes your linux dollars and releases games that dont at least 'work' IN LINUX ?....if not then you need a reality check cause things just dont work that way ;-).

cya
-====

-One game a a time.

Last edited by neighborlee on Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But still the main question: does winex work better with windows games than normal wine:

with opengl games: no
with d3d games: not really, only some older games and with a severe performace hit

I think the people who actually pay for winex don't really know this...
neighborlee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgaap wrote:
But still the main question: does winex work better with windows games than normal wine:

with d3d games: not really, only some older games and with a severe performace hit

------------
good point I agree possibly many don't know this ;))
thx for that indeed...

cya
-===

-One game a a time.
epx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Linux native or just opengl... Reply with quote

I think the first step to really getting some good games on Linux is getting game developers to start using ogl instead of d3d. ogl is a hell of a lot easier to port than d3d, and AFAIK d3d doesn't really have alot of advances over d3d. Hell if Doom 3 ever comes out it will be Linux native using ogl and still look just as nice as its M$ d3d counterpart. I don't think it would be very hard to put together convincing arguments for game developers to start using more openGL.

If they develope in Open GL they can stand to make alot more money, their games can work on the three major platforms Mac, Linux, and Windows. I truely don't understand why they continue to develope crap for d3d.

Anyone know why they would be using d3d instead of ogl?
LordDavon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgaap wrote:

Actually, WineX provides "closed sourced" components which allow for games/apps to be installed and run from copy-protected CD's. This is something that Wine can not do.

As for a game-by-game comparison, both Wine and WineX have an application database on their sites letting you know how well things work.

LD
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmealman wrote:
If I recall correctly WineX forked from Wine back when Wine was under a more liberal license. It think wine is under the LGPL today partly because of the Transgaming drama.

That was just their own dirty underhanded way of trying to turn their project closed source and cut Code Weavers out of the loop.
solatis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't see why people are really that pissed off about WineX... what happened to "it is their property, they can do with it what they want!" ... some of you are talking like it's a right to be able to use WineX. No it isn't...

And even people stating that WineX is undermining linux gaming... Excuse me? What do you base that on? I mean, it will be just as well based to say that WineX is showing the gaming companies there definately is a major demand for gaming under linux, and WineX is the way to tell them. In the eyes of gaming companies, linux is used by only geeky people who hardly play games and only write software... now, in my time, this mostly is the fact, but I also like to play a game once in the while and use WineX just for that.

Really, no offense intended, but I think you all should just get over yourself and stop boycotting a company that tries to make money...

Leon Mergen
http://www.solatis.com/
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen, brother.
wim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they openly boycott the porting of games to linux...

i don't call that supporting linux gaming...

i don't care if they make profit... but seeing them do something usefull with it would be nice for a change.

we're all smart enough to realize that reverse engeneering directx isn't the answer, its just an intermediate solution, and i guess, unfortunately, transgaming realizes this 2.
solatis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wim, please explain to me how they are boycotting the gaming industry. Where do you base that on, and why aren't companies like Transgaming just showing to the public that there is a definite interrest in gaming in the linux community?

Leon Mergen
http://www.solatis.com/
raDeon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally approve of transgaming and WineX. I just subscribed yesterday and I am very happy with the product.
aanund
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most games written for windows use directx, also those games that use opengl for rendering.

if you use directx for a lot of the game already, it seems pretty convenient to just use d3d for the rendering.

d3d has better support for more advanced features than opengl, this might change when/if the opengl2 specification is ever released.

porting a game, from windows to whatever, costs money, even when the rendering code is written in opengl. you have to be quite certain you are going to sell a lot of games to justify that cost when you know the linux and mac game community is laughably small.

libsdl is not the answer to anyones problems, it is still slow, and poor on features. and as for documentation? "what documentation?" is the best answer.
wim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solatis wrote:
wim, please explain to me how they are boycotting the gaming industry. Where do you base that on, and why aren't companies like Transgaming just showing to the public that there is a definite interrest in gaming in the linux community?

when they state: we are against the porting of linux games, instead, we promote reverse engeneering directx and emulating windows games on linux...
so instead of showing that there is a market for linux gaming, they are showing that linux games arent needed, because THEY have a solution, named winex.

and company-wise they 're right, when games are ported, transgaming is out of business...
but they will never achieve the same results as a ported game wil... and when they make changes to their product, games that worked, might not work anymore.
wine states: 99% of all apps will crash with wine
transgaming states: this game and this and that one... WORKS...

the reason directx is more advanced than opengl is that directx is alot easier to work with than opengl... (i hope nvidia's common language tool for opengl and directx will change this)
yeah we have sdl, but performance wise, it sux...

a recent discussion on this forum allso questionned the potential of opengl, but most replies were positive on opengls capabilities.

in my experience, native games work, winex-ed games don't, or take weeks to find out what the problem is, only to see it not working with the next release of winex

i say, if you want to play windows games, just dual boot
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the real question is...who the hell cares about spy hunter? It looks crappy.

sgaap wrote:
who cares about winex anyway?
normal wine runs opengl games a lot better and only a few direct3d games run with winex (the only ones I got working were max payne and gta3, and the latter with servere performance loss)
cant imagine this to be better now...
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, post your benchmarks or the link the benchmarks you are referring too please. At least back up your statements.

sgaap wrote:

sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually, WineX provides "closed sourced" components which allow for games/apps to be installed and run from copy-protected CD's. This is something that Wine can not do.

Thats true, so if you know no-one with a windows partition then you can install (if you are lucky) a game with winex and run it with normal wine :P
Quote:

Cool, post your benchmarks or the link the benchmarks you are referring too please. At least back up your statements.

I am not referring to any benchmarks, I just tried a whole lot of games (which I copied form a windows install or installed using wine/winex) and only a few d3d games worked

(d3d) some games I tried: (no opengl games, because thats not whats winex meant for and most of them work better in wine)

bf1942 - no go
max payne - works very nice in winex and wine
max payne 2 - immediately bails out in winex and wine runs the intro and menu fine
dungeon keeper 2 - no go
gta 3 - works in winex but only with 40% of the fps I get when using windows
gta 3: vice city - works but very unstable
THPS 3 - no go
NFS: hot persuit - no go
unreal 2 - no go
homeworld 2 - no go
shogo:mad (has a linux port btw) -no go
maffia- no go
simcity 4 - no go
splinter cell - no go

All with recent winex version (not older than 1 month)
My system has a nvidia card, and runs all games (native) very smooth
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what your saying. Codeweavers sells like 8 different commercial version of Wine. Wine is licensed LGPL for the specific purposes of being able to create commerical emulation products. How is Transgaming trying to screw Codeweavers? Codeweavers has the office niche and all their stuff is closed source as well.

Transgaming is not making much money on the $5. Most of that money goes to licensing the Install Shield code, the copy protection code, and the real Microsoft components that are part of the WineX commerical distro.

The Mountain Man wrote:
mmealman wrote:
If I recall correctly WineX forked from Wine back when Wine was under a more liberal license. It think wine is under the LGPL today partly because of the Transgaming drama.

That was just their own dirty underhanded way of trying to turn their project closed source and cut Code Weavers out of the loop.
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sgaap"]
Thats true, so if you know no-one with a windows partition then you can install (if you are lucky) a game with winex and run it with normal wine :P
[quote]

This rarely works for Wine/WineX because just like Windows, WineX has a registry and if the application can't find its registry settings, then it usually will not run.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This rarely works for Wine/WineX because just like Windows, WineX has a registry and if the application can't find its registry settings, then it usually will not run.

Thats also right, but if an application bails out on something like that it shows when using strace or gdb, most opengl games I copied from a windows partition ran fine with wine, so I guess the registry-entries arent that important.

Still, if someone can show me proof (and not the ratings on transgamings site) that it's just click and run with most major d3d games on the binary version of wine then I am happy to adjust my views on the working of wine.

While I feel the same about wine as wim I maybe would pay for winex if it could live up to its promises (which I noticed the cvs version doesnt do at all)

I am very sketical about companies making native ports for linux, porting a already finsished game that has a decent design (opengl/sdl, or even opengl and directx for input) to linux isnt that much work and could well be done by external parties like LGP), so its not difficult to get a proper return on investments that way
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: