View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XmainframeX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Backlight control not working in X/KDE Reply with quote

Hi,

since a recent BIOS update I have problems with my display backlight in KDE.
I'm using an ASUS N56VZ laptop with an onchip Intel GPU plus a NVIDIA GeForce 650M via Bumblebee.

The problem seems to be that X picks the wrong backlight folder from /sys/class/backlight/. The folder looks like this:
Code:
acpi_video0  acpi_video1  intel_backlight

When I echo numbers to intel_backlight/brightness, the brightness changes. The same thing does however not work in the acpi_video* folders. The Xorg.0.log says
Code:
[     9.468] (--) intel(0): found backlight control interface /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video1

, so I assume that X / the intel driver picks the wrong backlight.

Some things I tampered with:

• Getting rid of the /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video* folders by the acpi_backlight=vendor kernel parameter.
    This replaced the acpi_video* folders with asus specific folders which do not work as well but are also picked in favour of the working intel_backlight folder by X.
  • Trying to disable the acpi_video* folders with the acpi.brightness_switch_enabled=0 kernel parameter:
    This has no effect on the folders and seems to be intended for something else.
  • Disabling the video.ko module which provides the acpi_video* folders:
    This is not an option since it would disable features like retrieving EDID information
  • Telling X to use another backlight: The only way to do this seems to be to add
    Code:
    Option "Backlight" "intel_backlight"

to the intel driver section in xorg.conf. Unfortunately, I only have InputClass sections in my xorg.conf. Displays are nicely autoconfigured and working with bumblebee. I didn't manage to adapt the xorg.conf code snippets I found on the web which address this problem to my configuration. It seems like I would have to specify device, screen, monitor and server layout which introduces a lot of redundancy given that the automatic configuration works quite well currently.

Does anybody have other suggestions about what to try next? I'd prefer getting rid of the acpi_video* folders or forcing X/intel driver to use another backlight in an easy way.

Last edited by XmainframeX on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
XmainframeX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Solved... Reply with quote

Finally figured it out by myself.

What I did:

• Create a directory /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
  • Move my /etc/X11/xorg.conf which contains only input specific stuff to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-input.conf
  • Create a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with the following content:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "HD 4000"
            Driver  "Intel"
            Option "Backlight" "intel_backlight"
    EndSection

Now the only remaining problem is that the backlight brightness during login is zero and kdm cannot change it, so I have to type my password blindly. However, I can live with that.
As mentioned, I also tried putting the content of the 20-intel.conf file to my original xorg.conf file which did not work - but I'm not certain if this was caused by some other stupid thing I did :-) One might want to give that a try as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: