View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDevil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Long startup time of nautilus Reply with quote

I'm using xfce4 here and I'm really happy with it. I'm also using Nautilus (from Gnome 2.4) as file manager, which is great - but it takes a reeeeeally long time to start up, usually about 3-6 seconds. I suppose it is always loading all the libraries needed and unloads them as soon as I close the window. Is there any way to "tune" it? Would prelinking change something?

Thanks!
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had any luck getting nautilus to be responsive. Ever release of the Gnome desktop everyone screams "Nautilus is fast as fsck!!!" . I'm not sure what these people are smoking, or alternatively how slow this thing was before, but its still pretty sluggish.

I've stumbled across rox however, and may never go back. Ckeck it out.
DDevil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried rox some time ago, but I didn't like it because of
(a) the fact that a single click opens a file/folder (I can't get used to that, I've always done doubleclick and I'll do it for the rest of my life :wink: )
and (b) the strange way it handles mime-types (like setting the appropriate application for mp3s and so on).

Looks like I have to live with losing 3-6 seconds of my life everytime I want to start the file manager :roll:

Thanks anyway
tomchuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Velocity ebuild from BreakMyGentoo. Its light, stable and very nautilus-like with even more goodies. I'm running Gnome 2.4 and it starts about 2x as fast as Nautilus.

And yes, this is the exact kind of thing prelinking helps.

Edit... And what's wrong with xffm?
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Velocity is a great app. It's like Rox in that it is fast, but it's like Nautilus because it's an actual full-featured file manager.
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDevil wrote:
I tried rox some time ago, but I didn't like it because of
(a) the fact that a single click opens a file/folder (I can't get used to that, I've always done doubleclick and I'll do it for the rest of my life :wink: )
and (b) the strange way it handles mime-types (like setting the appropriate application for mp3s and so on).

Looks like I have to live with losing 3-6 seconds of my life everytime I want to start the file manager :roll:

Thanks anyway

You can turn double click on in rox in the options menu.

Set which app makes mp3s work by right clicking on it, and selecting Set Run Action.

Put apps you use a lot, like text editors, in Send To ...

This is the first file manager where mime handling actually makes sense to me. Usually it is way too complicated
Ox-
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the following command line to start nautilus from fluxbox. It should give a little bit faster load time for you:
Code:
nautilus --no-desktop --disable-sound --sm-disable
DDevil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help!

tomchuk wrote:
Try the Velocity ebuild from BreakMyGentoo. Its light, stable and very nautilus-like with even more goodies. I'm running Gnome 2.4 and it starts about 2x as fast as Nautilus.
Edit... And what's wrong with xffm?

Velocity looks good, but it's still beta and quite buggy. The list view is bad. Not a choice for me at the moment

xffm...well...it may be convenient for people that have never ever used another file manager before (it really looks and behaves strangely). I don't like it at all.

drjimmy42 wrote:

Set which app makes mp3s work by right clicking on it, and selecting Set Run Action.

OK, I found the double click thing. The next time I'll look before I complain :lol:

The mime handling is very unusually, but I may get used to it.

I might again miss an option here, but I couldn't find anything to display the directory tree on the left side (just like in nautilus).

Ox- wrote:
I use the following command line to start nautilus from fluxbox. It should give a little bit faster load time for you:
Code:
nautilus --no-desktop --disable-sound --sm-disable

I tried that and there is a very small speed difference (I usually used "--no-desktop" only) but I would not call it significant.
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDevil wrote:

drjimmy42 wrote:

OK, I found the double click thing. The next time I'll look before I complain :lol:

The mime handling is very unusually, but I may get used to it.

I might again miss an option here, but I couldn't find anything to display the directory tree on the left side (just like in nautilus).

What is it that you don't like about the mime handling? i'm just curious as to other points of view because when I first started using it I smacked myself on the head and said, "Now why aren't they all this easy." I'd just like to know what you think.

No you aren't missing anything, there is no tree view. I used to be very tied to the tree view, even the buggy nightmare one that is in nautilus, but I got passed it eventually. Its really the keybindings in rox that make it so cool. You can set a key for any menu item action. So all the things I do often, have a single keybinding. e.g. t = send to, u = open parent in new window. That kind of thing. You have to enable menu keybindings in gconf, but its worth it.
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, this Velocity is getting installed as we speak. Hoping this would be a nice replacement for nautilus, sure nautilus is nice but its bloated with too much...
nex_tym
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, xffm isnt to good. Try out gentoo file manager. Very nice.
DDevil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjimmy42 wrote:

What is it that you don't like about the mime handling? i'm just curious as to other points of view because when I first started using it I smacked myself on the head and said, "Now why aren't they all this easy." I'd just like to know what you think.

I need to search for the binary of each program, before I can link them. On most other file managers, you just enter the name (as long as its in the path) and it works, but with this linking in Rox, I need to find the exakt position of the binary. I'm pretty lazy ;)
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, ok I'll give you that one. But at least you only have to do it once :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: