View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: I give up Reply with quote

There comes a time in every man?s life, the time when the battle between you and Gentoo is decided not by wit, but by perseverance. You both enter the ring knowing only one will walk out. Today, I have lost. I can?t hack it. Tomorrow I?m going to fdisk my gentoo dist into eternity. Making it work has become an obsession, and the real world beckons me once again. Damn you Xfree86, and your hard locking my computer every time I launched thee. Damn you Radeon 9500 pro, for being a cheap good card, but a Radeon non-the-less. Damn you nForce2, for your nforceness. But most of all, damn you Wintendo XP, with all your GUI goodness, your direct x and ease of use.

Thank you community forums for the zillions of posts that answered my questions (without me even posting once!), but I?m just too dumb to make it all work.

I thought about posting my conf files, but I don?t know how to do that.

At least I tried

:|
jonas_nilsson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgive you brother, for you may have lost this battle, but you have not lost the war. The easy road might be tempting - even for the most tempered UNIX gurus - but it is also a treacherous road. Wander into the misty forest of DOS-land now, but remember that it is never to late to return to the sacred havens of the open source community.
dfuse
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awfully sorry to hear of your discouragement, old man, wish things were a bit more cheery for you. I do think that there's an explanation of all this and I certainly wouldn't want to you to feel that every path toward a solution hadn't been explored before you walk away. The simple truth is that it is God that is punishing you for having aspired to a successful installation of Gentoo without your first having seen to, how shall we say, certain "issues" between the two of you. We here at church, of course, always insist on prayer before Linux. But if you must try things on your own, well ....... :D

jlowell
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only prayer? Here I was thinking I was supposed to slaughter a lamb...

I think the main reason is that I just really don't even know what i'm doing.

Someone from school suggested I try SuZe... Maybe I'll give that a one two punch.
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozensun,

Quote:
Only prayer? Here I was thinking I was supposed to slaughter a lamb...

The very fact that you have considered steps beyond prayer as an act of contrition for those, might we say, "secrets" that you so foolishly have attempted to hide from Gawd - we here at church vastly prefer to say Gawd - ought to be enough to shield you from His wrath, Frozensun. Its a positive sign that you've been so forthcoming.

Quote:
I think the main reason is that I just really don't even know what i'm doing.

Ah yes, humility, the fruit of repentance. We can work with that.

All kidding aside, Frozensun, if you've done all the hard working-through of things in isolation from this community, simply searching the forum for answers without any contact with us, it would be easy to conclude that the issue has been decided and that the best course would be to quit. But there's something to say for the positive effects of a dynamic exchange with the people on the forums as well. Else why would you have written simply to turn in your resignation. You must know intuitively that perhaps someone here can help if you'd just work with us. This is a huge and still growing distro. Someone here is very likely to have an answer for you. Now I'm not particularly interested in making an aw-come-on-Frozensun-please-don't-quit kind of appeal to you. We're going to manage here somehow with or without you. But I do think that you owe yourself something more than quiet complaints in obscurity. And besides, Suse stinks. :D

jlowell
hackerError
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: M A N D R A K E Reply with quote

FSCK SuSe... if gentoo isn't working, use Mandrake, its so simple... autodetects everything... *drool* and then you can just install portage on it ;)

That way when you insult them you're already a mile away and have their shoes.
Pete_Keller
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrozenSun,
Have you tried knoppix? It is a bootable Linux CD that will allow you to learn linux, then when you are ready to try gentoo again, there are instructions on loading gentoo from within knoppix, allows you to play the games during the install.

Pete

P.S. Don't stay away, come back when you think you can absorb a little more info, Linux is like drinking from a firehose, lotta stuff in a little while.
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right. I guess it was a call of desperation. I can't seem to get Xfree86 to work. I can load it, I can set it up, but when I launch it, all it does is freeze my computer, and i can't do anything (no keyboard). So my question is this:

What should I do? I see people who have copied there config files onto the boards, but I don't know how to do that (I'm currently posting on wintendo xp)

when I do a /help on a command to see what it does, how do I pause the scrolling text?

Quote:
Have you tried knoppix?

I started to download the ISO, but when it finished, it was corrupted, and didn't feel like downloading it again. It was my fault for the corruption (download manager)
jonas_nilsson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To view text that just scrolls by, send the text through 'less' or 'more', for example like this:
'emerge --help | less'

Notice the '|'? it's a "pipe" that passes the output on to the standard input of in this case less.

To copy your config file, you could for example open the /etc/XF86Config (or is it /etc/X11/XF86Config?) in the editor nano, and copy the text with your mouse. Just highlight the text and then right click wherever you want to paste it (this requires gpm to be installed and up and running).
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just highlight the text and then right click wherever you want to paste it (this requires gpm to be installed and up and running).

I'm not that far (gpm?)

I have no mousy right now...
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this will probably send you out looking for a stuffed doll soft enough to receive the pins needed for the voodoo ceremony necessary to curse me, but I think you should clean off the appropriate portion of your disc and start all over again with a stage 1 install. Having already searched the forum extensively for answers, you know where to look for suspected solutions, but I would submit that you well may have matched the wrong fixes to the right problems when you installed the first time. As you have questions regarding the install, even the smallest ones, bring them here. As the process unfolds, people experienced with your hardware, or xfree or whatever will offer specific help. It's hard to say why it may be that X is freezing on you but if we review your installation with you as it is in progress, we'll be able to address that matter should it present itself again. Take it one step at a time and be patient. As to the matter of presenting your configuration files, should that become necessary, we can teach you how to do that too.

Let us know if we're needed.

jlowell
Pete_Keller
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozensun,

I had the same problem with my laptop, check your bios, do you have legacy usb support turned on? That is what caused my problem.

Also try commenting out (put a # in the first space of the line) for your mouse inputs in your xfree configuration file, then try to start Xfree, if the keyboard works, the problem is with the mouse.

Do you have a second computer? The way I was able to get this problem fixed was to have my desktop up and on IRC (http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/irc.xml) and was able to troubleshoot my laptop problem with a couple of guys in the hardware/laptop section.

Pete
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Mandrake 9.2, it supposedly works very well out of the box and even supports the Radeon cards pretty well.
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try Mandrake 9.2, it supposedly works very well out of the box and even supports the Radeon cards pretty well.

I did. I wasn't very fond of it. It was too much like windows for me to switch to it.

Quote:
I had the same problem with my laptop, check your bios, do you have legacy usb support turned on? That is what caused my problem.

Hmm... I don't think that it's turned on.

Quote:
Do you have a second computer? The way I was able to get this problem fixed was to have my desktop up and on IRC (http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/irc.xml) and was able to troubleshoot my laptop problem with a couple of guys in the hardware/laptop section.

man, I WISH. Everytime I want to use the internet, I have to boot into windows xp on my other partition. I'm really glad I got THAT to work, or else I'd be screwed.

Quote:
but I think you should clean off the appropriate portion of your disc and start all over again with a stage 1 install.

I figured I'd have to do something like that. Figured it be a big pain in the ass with no help, but with the help of all of you I think I'll be able to do it. Just remember that I'm a super noob when it comes to linux. In everything, but I learn quickly.

Thanks for all your help. When I get home I'll give it a try (being I'm at school right now...) :D
selfless
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozensun wrote:

when I do a /help on a command to see what it does, how do I pause the scrolling text?

Code:
example --help |more

Then use the spacebar, enter, or arrow keys to continue.
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozensun,

Quote:
I figured I'd have to do something like that. Figured it be a big pain in the ass with no help, but with the help of all of you I think I'll be able to do it. Just remember that I'm a super noob when it comes to linux. In everything, but I learn quickly.

You know things are backward when someone new to something feels it necessary to apologize for his or her newness, a phenomenon all too characteristic of large parts of the linux "community". It is as though the whole idea of charity in human relations gets turned on its head and those with knowlege are offered a kind of license to abuse those without it. One of the great strengths of this distro is found in the near total absense of this kind of thing on its forums. We're not 100% pure in this way, but compared to many other distros, we look like the Virgin Mother. Frankly, nothing irritates me more than witnessing some blowhard who learned all that he knows through the generous patience of others rear up and tell a newcomer to RTFM as though he were addressing a dog or a mule. When this kind of thing happens in the family they call it child abuse and the police take an interest.

So anyway, I'm glad you've decided to perservere. You owed that one to yourself, Frozensun. Yes, I know its a pain to have to reinstall, but when you're just learning with something as complex as Gentoo, consider yourself a boy wonder if you get things up and running properly with something less than five tries. God knows it took me that many to inaugerate a successful system. Why should you be any different?

Good luck, stay in touch, and take one thing at a time.

jlowell
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never give up, dude. Wanna know why?

I have installed Gentoo at least seventeen times on my desktop, and none of them have ever gotten Xfree to work properly. But I'm getting close.
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu

I noticed you have nearly the exact same system as me.

Any advice with the epox or the radeon?
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Well, let's see. For the EpoX, I think we ot kinda lucky. It's not one of the most annoying nForce2 mobos (but that's not saying much). Can you explain what's exactly wrong with it? ANd for the Radeon, I've never really gotten up to that stage yet... but there's a very nice guide somewhere on the forums.

G'luck!
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I did it, I'm posting using linux! Hey wait, where is that warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment? Ohh yeah, thats right, I cheated. I'm running Morphix with KDE (live cd). I think I did this just to prove to myself that it can be done. Xfree86 can run on my computer, no matter what. I have definative proof! Now if only I could see the config file... I wonder where it would be...

I will be victorious :twisted:

edit: I found the xfree86 conf. Silly frozen, tricks are for kids.
Lews_Therin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using the special Radeon config utility, especially tailored for their cards? (it kicks ass and takes logs :P ). Boot into your partician and type
Code:
/opt/ati/bin/fglrxconfig

Also, try using wimpy settings for refresh rates. I have a moniter with these:
Code:
Horizontal: 31.5-63
Vertical: 56-75

But I had to use these before it would give me the gui, after which everything worked great:
Code:
Horizontal: 35-60
Vertical: 60-70

And I agree with jlowell, there is no reason for somebody new to gentoo to apollogize for having problems installing.
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you tried using the special Radeon config utility

Yep. Using that I was able to see some windows in X, when just using the old regular X setup I got an ugly X. Using either still froze my computer though...

Hmm... I just had a thought. Could I use the xfree86 conf that Morphix fixed up and use that as my xfree86 conf on my hard drive? Wonder if it would work.

I guess I could also post any of my other stuff now that I can see my linux partitions (using the uber cool live cd)
Lews_Therin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the conf works, it should still work when loaded onto your hd. Might as well try, so tell us if it works.
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I can't write to the hard drive. I only have read permisions with the disc.... I don't know how to give myself write permisions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: