[Concept] P2P Trust Network Binary Ephemeral Portage System
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palhoto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: [Concept] P2P Trust Network Binary Ephemeral Portage System Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if any work or discussion has already been done on a peer-to-peer binary package system that only downloads packages for peer defined trust levels. If the defined trust conditions are not met, the system compiles as usual and shares the resulting binary package.

By "Ephemeral", I'm piggy backing on the concept of ephemeralization.
Quote:
Ephemeralization, a term coined by R. Buckminster Fuller, is the ability of technological advancement to do "more and more with less and less until eventually you can do everything with nothing".

Gentoo-wise, I'm referring to reducing the need to compile the exact same package over and over again on different systems where architecture, use flags and dependencies are exactly the same. By reducing the need to compile, the freed up CPU cycles in the network can be used for other purposes, hence doing more with less.

By trust levels, I'm referring the ability to configure a system to trust binary packages directly from the closest specified friends/co-workers, requiring more hash confirmation from less trusted entities (100 different peers with the same hash for instance) and many more from everyone else. That's just an example scenario with many missing dimensions to discuss. Each person/system defines their own trust network.

This concept can even be extended to peer compile update packages for friends, making them available when they come back online. For packages that you don't necessarily have to have installed on your system.

Just wondering, as this is something I clearly see where the portage system might expand to. It gets the best of both worlds (source and binary).

Thanks in advance.
Palhoto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Raspberry Pi Reply with quote

Bump. Considering that I now have a Raspberry Pi (which takes ages to compile packages), and I don't want to fire up a gas guzzler desktop PC to cross compile, this concept just became more desirable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: