[SOLVED] /run/media/$USER disappears every boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] /run/media/$USER disappears every boot Reply with quote

Can't mount devices.
As is known, kde policy was changed and removable medias should be mount under /run/media/$USER directory. If this directory missing, we'll get an error:
Quote:
An unspecified error has occurred: Adding read ACL for uid 1000 to `/run/media/user' failed: Operation not supported

I created this directory, but it removes on every boot and I have to create it over and over again. How do I prevent this directory deletion?

Last edited by creaker on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The /run directory is created at every boot as it is used to hold info on running items like openrc. It's also erased at every shutdown/reboot, so it is not feasible to use your manual approach.
Start Here:
Gentoo Wiki: KDE

Looks like you missed a Service
KDE Wiki wrote:
Services
Before you install KDE SC it is recommended that you set up several services. Part of that is done automatically if you use a desktop/kde or desktop profile. In detail you should use:
ConsoleKit: Enables the ConsoleKit framework for defining and tracking users, login sessions and seats.
D-Bus: Enables use of the D-Bus message bus system.
polkit: Enables the polkit framework for controlling privileges for system-wide services.
udev: Enables support for udev Linux dynamic and persistent device naming.
udisks: Enables support for some storage related services.
Follow the links for information how to set up these services. Note that other USE flag combinations than set in this profile may technically be possible (especially if you do not run a full KDE desktop environment but only selected applications), but may be unsupported, untested, or lead to unexpected loss of functionality.

DBUS and ConsoleKit are vital.
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaker,

/run used to be at /var/run but udev needs some writable space before root is mounted rw, so /run is in tmpfs in RAM.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for answering.
All the needed services started and running, compared to another system. It is not an issue.
The thing is I've updated the system that was not used since November 2012. And got a problem with mounting.
May be I have had to ask: why system does not create required directory: /run/media/$USER?
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: /run/media/$USER disappears every boot Reply with quote

creaker wrote:
Can't mount devices.
As is known, kde policy was changed and removable medias should be mount under /run/media/$USER directory. If this directory missing, we'll get an error:
Quote:
An unspecified error has occurred: Adding read ACL for uid 1000 to `/run/media/user' failed: Operation not supported

I created this directory, but it removes on every boot and I have to create it over and over again. How do I prevent this directory deletion?

UDisks (sys-fs/udisks from SLOT="2") creates the directory when it needs it at runtime. So it must be something else trying to access (read) it. I think you should simply ignore the warning, unless something is actually failing besides that error?

However, you can recreate directories on boot using tmpfiles support of OpenRC (only supported in 0.12 and newer) or systemd:
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/tmpfiles.d.html

You also have the option to change the directory UDisks uses altogether, like for example back to /media:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/udisks/commit/?id=6ae6c19ad981801d08f3f5b59c0301ed3fe8b7b4
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for reply.
I can't simply ignore this warning because user can't mount drives neither internal nor external due to missing mount point.
Yes, it is something wrong in udisks behaviour. I prefer to get mount points back to /media. This simple rule does it:
Code:
ENV{ID_FS_USAGE}=="filesystem|other|crypto", ENV{UDISKS_FILESYSTEM_SHARED}="1"

Now devices mount points moved back to /media, that does not disappears.
Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: