[SOLVED] Make.conf help on a first time Gentoo install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BinaryNation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Make.conf help on a first time Gentoo install Reply with quote

Just a little background info, this is my first time using Gentoo, I've been using Linux for many years and have worked with Red Hat, Fedora Core, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Debian, and Slackware and have worked with FreeBSD. Lately I have been unsatisfied with all the distributions I have tried as I only wish to have Fluxbox installed and all the other distros have Gnome and KDE installed by default and many are dependent on Gnome and the Gnome libraries. Generally I don't use a Login Manager but if I like the way Gentoo is I will be adapting it to install on a Dell Studio One desktop and will choose between Enter, XDM, SLiM, and LightDM, but that's in the future. Also I will be using Zsh and am hoping I do not have to install any other shells. Here's the specs on the computer I am working with:

Toshiba Sattelite a215
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60
2.0Ghz 1MB L2 cache
AMD M690V chipset
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1200 128MB-319MB shared memory
500GB Seagate SATA HDD

Here is how I have the Hard Drive partitioned:
sda1 Boot ext2 32.91 MB
sda2 swap 8192.38 MB
sda3 / ext4 491882.59 MB

So for the make.conf for the CFLAGS I used the recommended flags by AMD in this document http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/32035.pdf and from some research I've done but it's mainly the rest of it that I'm not sure if is good. Here is what I have:

Quote:
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"

CFLAGS="-O3 -march=k8 -m32 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -malign-double -mfpmath-sse -

funroll-all-loops -ftree-vectorize -fpeel-loops -ftracer -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CLFAGS}"
FFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
FCFLAGS="${FFLAGS}"

PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp
PORTDIR=/usr/portage
DISTDIR=/usr/portage/distfiles
PKGDIR=/usr/portage/packages
PORT_LOGDIR="/var/log/portage"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://gentoo.llarian.net/pub/gentoo

ftp://ftp.wallawalla.edu/pub/mirrors/ftp.gentoo.org ftp://chi-10g-1-

mirror.fastsoft.net/pub/linux/gentoo/gentoo-distfiles/

ftp://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo http://distfiles.gentoo.org"

SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_RETRIES="-1"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--verbose"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"

AUTOCLEAN="yes"

PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="log warn error info"
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"

Now I wasn't sure if I needed to use PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_NICENESS, and PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND. Also I'm not sure what CCACHE is and if I need to set DISCC_DIR. All help and feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by BinaryNation on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:21 am; edited 3 times in total
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo defaults are usually well chosen. If you do not understand an option, do not use it. For example, your CFLAGS are very bad. I usually see flags like that on users who want every program to run as fast as possible, even if that means running straight into a wall. Set your CFLAGS to -O2 -march=k8 -pipe for now. Leave DISTDIR and PKGDIR unset if you want to use the defaults.
Tractor Girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"-march=k8 -02 -pipe -msse3" works good for my Turion X2 TL-52
You can also set INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics", VIDEO_CARDS="radeon" and ALSA_CARDS to whatever you got there.
Ccache helps to save time if you compile the same stuff over and over again - probably you do not need it.

Btw you can make minimal X-less Debian instalation and add just fluxbox later (I'm sure that's also the case with Slackware, and FreeBSD), there's even more minimal Gentoo-like way to install Debian - debootstrap
dilfridge
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: make.conf help on a first time Gentoo install Reply with quote

At the start, most of the defaults are just fine and your make.conf can be quite short. You can always optimize later. Here are some detail comments:

Code:
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=k8 -m32 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -malign-double -mfpmath-sse -funroll-all-loops -ftree-vectorize -fpeel-loops -ftracer -pipe"

This is a good way to shoot yourself into the foot. Don't do it! Much better:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"

Then, about the directories:
Code:
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp
PORTDIR=/usr/portage
DISTDIR=/usr/portage/distfiles
PKGDIR=/usr/portage/packages
PORT_LOGDIR="/var/log/portage"

These are all the defaults, so you can just delete the lines.
BinaryNation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tractor Girl wrote:
"-march=k8 -02 -pipe -msse3" works good for my Turion X2 TL-52
You can also set INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics", VIDEO_CARDS="radeon" and ALSA_CARDS to whatever you got there.
Ccache helps to save time if you compile the same stuff over and over again - probably you do not need it.

Btw you can make minimal X-less Debian instalation and add just fluxbox later (I'm sure that's also the case with Slackware, and FreeBSD), there's even more minimal Gentoo-like way to install Debian - debootstrap

Tractor Girl, I've added INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics" and VIDEO_CARDS="radeon", as for the ALSA_CARDS I'm not sure what to put as I'm not entirely sure what sound card I have, I can't find any documentation from Toshiba however I do have this info:

lspci
Quote:
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

arecord -l
Quote:
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0" SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC268 Analog [ALC268 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

cat /proc/asound/cards
Quote:
0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xf8600000 irq 16

I tried the x-less installs of the other distros and installed x and fluxbox later on and found it to be very time consuming and I've been wanting to try out Gentoo for a while now.
Tractor Girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"

Quote:
I tried the x-less installs of the other distros and installed x and fluxbox later on and found it to be very time consuming and I've been wanting to try out Gentoo for a while now.

What do you mean by "time consuming"? Manual customization? If so, you'll probably face the same problems on Gentoo. Anyway I can help you customize Fluxbox (Fluxbox and Awesome are my favorite WMs)
BinaryNation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. You're right about manual customization, specifically with Debian and FreeBSD their package managers, aptitude and ports, respectively, if used to install X they are configured to use gnome and the gnome libraries and even when using other WM's there are many dependencies on those libraries which tends to be resource intensive, namely RAM. Slackware's package management tool does not install any dependencies which you have to do yourself and I see it being the closest to Gentoo. As for Debian and FreeBSD to avoid the dependencies you would have to use the X binaries and manually configure it.

However from what I have read and understand about Gentoo is you can manually configure just about everything using it's package manager, Portage, like the next step of my install I will be setting the USE options.

As for my Fluxbox configuration later I can post it or send it to you to see what I have, I started using Fluxbox many years ago and I have kept all my config files and every time I change it I save a copy on my storage drive and change the revision number.
Tractor Girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about FreeBSD, but as to Debian, are you sure you disabled instalation of recommended packages? It definately will install tones of useless garbage if you do not do this. In Portage this is done by USE flags. So in Debian this isn't so flexible, but it is nobrainer - just one option in aptitude. In Gentoo on the contrary, there much more flexibility, but you always have to watch USE flags.
BinaryNation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm onto the USE flags and I'm looking at Gentoo Linux Use Variable Descriptions http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml#doc_chap2 and I have my Global USE flags but I'm not sure how to set Local USE flags permanently.

What I have so far for USE is:
Quote:
USE="3dnow X a52 aac aalib accessibility acl acpi aim alsa ao apm bzip2 calendar caps cdr cgi clamav crypt cups dvd dvdr emacs ffmpeggtk gtkhtml hardened hddtemp icqimagemagick ncurses qt4 qt5 quicktime desktop sockets socks5 vnc xine xinerama xinetd xscreensaver xvid yahoo zeroconf zlib zsh-completion -gnome -gnome-keyring -gtkhtml -kde -kontact -semantic-desktop”

Some of the Local USE flags I want to set permanently are:
Quote:
app-accessibility/brltty fm pcm speech
app-accessibility/emacspeak espeakz
app-admin/conky apcupsd audacious eve iostats lua lua-cairo lua-imlib math moc mpd portmon weather-metar weather-xoap xmms2
app-emacs/delicious planner
app-emacs/wikipedia-mode outline-magic
app-emulation/wine capi dos gecko mono prelink realtime run-exes samba udisks
x11-drivers/ati-drivers modules qt4
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati
x11-plugins/pidgin-mbpurple twitgin
x11-wm/fluxbox bidi slit toolbar

Thank you.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
FEATURES="${FEATURES} buildpkg fixlafiles userpriv usersandbox unknown-features-warn userfetch webrsync-gpg unmerge-orphans strict split-log news clean-logs config-protect-if-modified"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="  \
 --quiet-build=y \
 --binpkg-respect-use=y \
 --with-bdeps=y \
 --verbose-conflicts \
 --verbose \
 --color=y \
 --alphabetical \
 --ask-enter-invalid \
 --jobs=1 \
 --ask=y  \
 --nospinner \
"
I keep my binary builds (buildpkg) to easily remerge older ones if problems:
"emerg --usepkg ..."
Also I like
ask and ask-enter-invalid
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tractor Girl wrote:
ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"

shouldn't that be
Code:
ASLA_CARDS="intel_hda"
??
Tractor Girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:

shouldn't that be
Code:
ASLA_CARDS="intel_hda"
??

No. Check emerge --info with ALSA_CARDS line commented in make.conf.

@BinaryNation
Your initial set of USE flags is determined by your profile (you can check which profille you have with "eselect profile list"). For minimal system I guess profile 1 will be the best (you can set it using "eselect profile set 1").
To check your current set of global USE flags run emerge --info. There's no need to set the same flag in make.conf if it's already set by the profile.
To set local flags just put it to /etc/portage/package.use
For example
mail-client/mutt gpg imap pop sidebar
dev-vcs/git -perl -python -webdav

When you want to install a package always run emerge with "-av" to see what USE flags it has. Run "equery uses PACKAGE_NAME" to see descriptions of USE flags. Add (or disable) desired flags to package.use with:
Code:
echo "mail-client/mutt gpg imap pop sidebar" >> /etc/portage/package.use will
BinaryNation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I set the profile to the first option like you suggested and and the default USE Flags are:

Code:
USE="acl amd64 berkdb bzip2 cli cracklib crypt cxx dri fortran gdbm iconv ipv6 mmx modules mudflap multilib ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pcre readline session sse sse2 ssl tcpd unicode zlib"

The full list of use Global USE Glags I want to use is:

Code:
USE="3dnow X a52 aac aalib accessibility acl acpi aim alsa ao apm bidi bindist bzip2 calendar caps cdda cdinstall cdparanoia cdr cgi cjk clamav connman crypt ess cups curl vcs cxx dbus dga djvu dri dts dv dvb dvd dvdr emacs encode enscript exif fbcon ffmpeg flac fontconig fortran freetds ftp gcj gdgdbm geoip ggi gif gimp git glut gmp gnuplot gnutls gphoto2 gpm gps graphviz gsl gsm gstreamer gtk gtkhtml gzip hardened hddtemp icq idn ieee1394 imagemagick imap imlip inifile ios inotify ipod ipv6 jabber java java6 javascript jbig jinghle jit joystick jpeg jpeg2k kerberos lame latex lcms ldap libass libcaca libnotify libsamplerate libwww lirc lm-sensors lua lzma lzo mad matroska matrox memlimit mime mmap mms mmx mng modplug modules mono motif mozilla mp3 mp4 mpeg mpi mplayer msn mssql mtp mule multilib musepack mysql mysqli nas ncurses neXt networkmanager nls nsplugin ocaml ocamlopt odbc offensive ofx ogg openal openexr opengl openmp osc oscar oss pam pch pcmcia pcre pda pdg perl php plotutils png policykit portaudio posix postgres postscript ppds pulseaudio python qt4 qt5 quicktime raw rdesktop readline recode rss ruby samba sasl savedconfig scanner session sharedmem shorten simplexml skey slang slp smartcard smp sndfile snmp soap sockets socks5 sound source sox speex spell sqlite sqlite3 sse sse2 sse3 ssl subversion suid svg svga symlink syslog systemd sysvipc szip taglib tcl tcpd theora threads tidy tiff timiditytk tokenizer truetype uclibc udev unicode upnp upnp-av usb v4l vala vcdvdpau vim-syntax vnc vorbis wayland wavpack wddx webkit wifi wmf wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xcomposite xemacs xface xft xine xinerama xinetd xml xmlrpc xmp xmpp xosd xpm xscreensaver xsl xv xvid yahoo yaz zeroconf zlib zsh-completion -gnome -gnome-keyring -gtkhtml -kde -kontact -semantic-desktop”

By what you're telling me I should remove what is already stated.

@Tractor Girl There is no file nor folder named package.use so how would I set the local flags I want to use, of which here is the full list of Local USE Flags I want to set:

Code:
app-accessibility/brltty fm pcm speech
app-accessibility/eflite 16k_voice
app-accessibility/emacspeak espeakz
app-accessibility/simon opencv sphinx
app-accessibility/speechdispatcher espeak flite
app-admin/conky apcupsd audacious eve iostats lua lua-cairo lua-imlib math moc mpd portmon weather-metar weather-xoap xmms2
app-admin/eselect-php fpm
app-admin/gtkdiskfree gtk3
app-admin/matter entropy
app-admin/pass X fish-completion git
app-admin/webapp-config portage
app-antivirus/clamav clamdtop
app-arch/cfv bittorrent
app-arch/dpkg deselect update-alternatives
app-arch/libarchive bzip2 e2fsprogs nettle zlib
app-arch/libzpaq jit
app-arch/p7zip rar
app-arch/unzip natspec
app-arch/zip natspec
app-backup/dar dar64 gcrypt
app-cdr/backlite mplayer
app-cdr/brasero libburn packagekit playlist tracker
app-cdr/cdmenu-daemon
app-cdr/cdrkit hfs
app-cdr/disc-cover cdrom
app-crypt/eid-mw gtk xpi
app-crypt/usb
app-crypt/gnupg mta spartcard usb
app-crypt/gpgme common-list pth
app-crypt/ophcrack-tables vistafree xpfast xpsmall
app-crypt/pll-kit asn1 trust
app-crypt/shishi 3des aes arcfour des md null
app-crypt/tc-play openssl
app-crypt/tpm-tools pkcs11
app-crypt/truecrypt asm
app-dicts/aspell-be classic
app-dicts/myspell-pt preao
app-doc/doxygen dot
app-doc/tldp-howto html pdf
app-editors/emacs athena gtk3 gzip-el hesiod imagemagick leim libxml2 sendmail source toolkit-scroll-bars wide-int
app-editors/emacs-vcs athena gtk3 gzip-el hesiod imagemagick libxml2 source toolkit-scroll-bars wide-int
app-editors/xemacs athena dnd eolconv pop xim
app-editors/xmlcopyeditor guidexml
app-emacs/anything extensions
app-emacs/auctex preview-latex
app-emacs/bbdb tex
app-emacs/calfw howm
app-emacs/company-mode ropemacs semantic
app-emacs/delicious planner
app-emacs/emhacks jde
app-emacs/ord-mode odt-schema
app-emacs/remember bbdb planner
app-emacs/vm bbdb
app-emacs/wanderlust bbdb
app-emacs/wikipedia-mode outline-magic
app-emulation/wine capi dos gecko mono prelink realtime run-exes samba udisks
app-emulation/winetricks rar
app-forensics/chkrootkit cron
app-laptop/pbbuttonsd ibam
app-laptop/prey alarm alert geo lock network secure session webcam
app-laptop/thinkfan atasmart
app-portage/conf-update colordiff
app-text/ascidoc highlight
app-text/calibre udisks
app-text/crmll4 mew
app-text/cuneiform graphicsmagick imagemagick
app-text/enchant hunspell
app-text/getxbook ocr
app-text/gtkspell vala
app-text/gtranslator http
app-text/mathtex png
app-text/stardict espeak gucharmap pronounce qqwry tools
app-text/tessaract linguas_chr linguas_jp osd scrollview webp
app-text/webgn builder highlight markdown
dev-cpp/glog gflags unwind
dev-cpp/libcmis man
dev-db/maatkit udf
dev-db/mysql embedded
dev-db/phpmyadmin -setup
dev-db/sqlite extensions
dev-php/SendFramework cli doc
media-fonts/dejavu fontforge
media-gfx/comix rar
media-gfx/darktable facebook flickr geo graphicsmagick slideshow squish web-services
media-gfx/enblend gpu image-cache
media-gfx/fotowall
media-gfx/gimp
media-gfx/graphicsmagick fpx modules
media-gfx/imagemagick autotrace corefonts fpx hdri pango webp
media-libs/alsa-lib alisp
media-libs/avidemux-core aften amr vaapi
media-libs/avidemux-plugins aften amr faac faad fribidi twolame vpx
media-libs/clutter gtk
media-libs/cogl gles2 pango
media-libs/emotion vlc
media-libs/ethumb emotion
media-libs/evas bmp ico ppm psd tga
media-libs/gst-plugins-base ivorbis pango
media-libs/libbluray aacs java utils
media-libs/leptonica webp
media-libs/mediastreamer amr filters g726 g729 ilbc ntp-timestamp opus ortp pcap silk video
media-libs/mesa gles openmesa
media-libs/phonom vlc zeitgeist
media-libs/phonom-gstreamer network
media-libs/quvi json
meida-libs/raptor json
media-libs/x264 10bit interlaced
media-libs/xine-lib bluray dxr3 flac fusion gtk imagemagick mad mmap truetype vaapi vdfr vidix xvmc
media-radio/ax25-tools X
media-radio/fldigi hamlib
media-radio/tucnak2 ftdi hamlib
media-radio/unixcw ncurses
media-radio/xastir festival gdal geotiff graphicsmagick
media-sound/abcde id3tag
media-sound/abcm2ps pango
media-sound/alsa-utils libsamplerate ncurses
media-sound/alsaplayer id3tag
media-sound/ario audioscrobbler
media-sound/audacious gtk3
media-sound/audacity id3tag libsoxr twolame
media-sound/pulseaudio X asyncns equalizer gdbm realtime sslwebrtc-aec xen
media-sound/xmms2 airplay asf gvfs ices mac lib-update ofa xml
media-sound/xmp audacious
media-sound/xnoise lastfm lyrics
media-plugins/audacious-plugins adplug bs2b cue gtk3 scrobbler
media-video/ffmpeg 3dnowext bluray schroedinger sse3 vaapi
media-video/fmpeg2theora kate
media-video/vlc X audioqueue avcodec avformat bluray dc1394 dirac direct2d dshow dvbpsi dxva2 egl fbosd fluidsynth gcrypt gme gnome growl httpd ios-vout kate libproxy libtar libtiger linsys live matroska media-library omxil -optimisememory postproc projectm pvr qt4 rtsp schroedinger sdl-image shine shout sid switcher swscale twolame upnp vaapi vcdx vlm waveout wingdi wma-fixed zvbi
media-video/x264encoder 10bit avs ffmpegsource interlaced
media-video/xine-ui vdr
net-analyzer/2ping crc md5 server sha
net-analyzer/aimsniff http
net-analyzer/echoping http icp priority smtp tos
net-analyzer/flowgrind pcap
net-analyzer/fprobe messages
net-analyzer/httping tfo
net-analyzer/lilac nmap
net-analyzer/linkchecker bookmarks login nagios sqlite syntax-check
net-analyzer/metasploit gui
net-analyzer/nmap lua ncat ndiff nmap-update nping zenmap
net-analyzer/nsca crypt
net-analyzer/pchar pcap
net-analyzer/snort active-response aruba decoder-preprocesor-rules inline-init-failopen large-pcap-64bit linux-smp-stats normalizer paf perfprofiling ppm react reload-error-restart zlib
net-analyzer/tcpdump chroot drop-root smi
net-analyzer/tcpreplay pcapnav tcpdump
net-analyzer/wireshark adns crypt gtk3 netlink smi
net-dns/bind gost
net-dns/dnsmasq auth-dns dhcp dhcp-tools tftp
net-dns/mydns alias status
net-dns/opendnssec auditor eppclient signer
net-dns/unbound gost
net-firewall/firewalld gui
net-fs/samba client smbclient smbtav2
net-ftp/lftp openssl
net-ftp/pure-ftpd paranoidmsg resolveids
net-im/pidgin gstreamer gtk meanwhile mxit ncurses prediction python silc xscreensaver zephyr
net-im/skype st-static
net-irc/inspircd geoip gnutls ipv6 ldap mysql pcre psoix postgres sqlite ssl
net-misc/tor bufferevents ecc nap-pmp stats tor-hardening transparent-proxy web
net-p2p/amule daemon stats
net-p2p/bitcoin-qt 1stclassmsg qrcode
net-p2p/bitcoin logrotate
net-p2p/eiskaltdcpp cli daemon dht emoticons gtk3 gson libcanberra
net-p2p/mldonkey bittorrent fasttrack gnutella magic
net-print/cups java perl python systemd
net-print/fax4cups capisuite-fax efax hylafax mgetty-fax
net-print/hplip X doc fax hpcups hpijs libnotify qt4 scanner snmp
net-proxy/dansguardian backtrace clamav fancydm
net-wireless/airdrop-ng airgraph-ng
net-wireless/blueman network
net-wireless/wepattack john
net-wireless/wpa_supplicant ap eap-sim fasteap madwifi p2p smartcard wimax
sci-chemistry/PyMca matplotlib
sci-chemistry/avagadro glsl
sci-chemistry/ball webkit
sci-chemistry/ccp4 arpwarp balbes
sci-chemistry/chemtool emf
sci-chemistry/eden double-precision
sci-chemistry/gromacs avx128fma double-precision offensive
sci-chemistry/icm 64bit
sci-chemistry/openbabel swig
sci-chemistry/raster3d gd
sci-electronics/gspiceui schematics waveform
sci-electronics/pcb gcode gif jpeg m4lib-png nelma png tk toporouter xrender
sci-libs/acml int64
sci-libs/mathgl double-precision hdf octave
sci-mathematics/Macaulay2 optimization
sci-mathematics/bertini optimization
sci-mathematics/freemat volpack vtk
sci-physics/bullet double-precision extras
sys-apps/dbus systemd
sys-apps/dstat wifi
sys-apps/hwdata-gentoo binary-drivers
sys-apps/iproute2 iptables
sys-apps/pacman gpg
sys-apps/shadow audit
sys-apps/systemd audit gcrypt keymap qrcode
sys-apps/ucspi-ssl tls
sys-auth/pambase consolekit pam_krb5 pam_ssh passwdqc sha512 systemd
sys-devel/gcc d go
sys-fs/ntfs3g crypt extras udev
sys-kernel/ck-sources kvm
sys-kernel/linux-docs html
sys-libs/glibc gd nscd
sys-libs/pam audit
sys-power/cpufreqd pmu
sys-power/phctool sudo
sys-power/pm-utils ntp
sys-power/powermgmt-base pm-utils
sys-power/suspend crypt
virtual/ffmpeg vaapi
virtual/mysql embedded
www-apache/mod_musicindex mysql
www-apache/mod_security geoip
www-apache/pwauth domain-aware faillog
www-client/elinks bittorrent
www-client/firefox ipc
www-plugins/adobe-flash 32bit 64bit
www-plugins/gnash dump egl ssh ssl vaapi
x11-apps/xdm consolekit xdm-auth
x11-base/xorg-server dmx xorg
x11-drivers/ati-drivers modules qt4
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati
x11-libs/cairo drm gles2 glib
x11-libs/gtkmathview mathml t1lib
x11-libs/libXfont bzip2 truetype
x11-libs/libva-intel-driver drm
x11-libs/motif motif22-compatibility
x11-libs/pango
x11-libs/pixman loongson2f mmxext
x11-libs/qwt mathml
x11-libs/wxGTK gstreamer
x11-misc/cdm consolekit
x11-misc/lightdm branding gtk introspection -kde razor
x11-misc/slim consolekit
x11-misc/xscreensaver -gdm new-login
x11-plugins/pidgin-mbpurple twitgin
x11-plugins/pidgin-sipe ocs2005-message-hack voice
x11-themes/light-themes gtk3
x11-themes/purple-plugin_pack talkfilters
x11-themes/screenlets svg
x11-terms/terminator libnotify
x11-wm/enlightenment enlightenment_modules-backlight
x11-wm/fluxbox bidi slit toolbar

@ulenrich could you tell me what the FEATURES usersandbox does and what the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS --jobs=1 and --spinner does please? Thank you.

ulenrich wrote:
Code:
FEATURES="${FEATURES} buildpkg fixlafiles userpriv usersandbox unknown-features-warn userfetch webrsync-gpg unmerge-orphans strict split-log news clean-logs config-protect-if-modified"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="  \
 --quiet-build=y \
 --binpkg-respect-use=y \
 --with-bdeps=y \
 --verbose-conflicts \
 --verbose \
 --color=y \
 --alphabetical \
 --ask-enter-invalid \
 --jobs=1 \
 --ask=y  \
 --nospinner \
"
"emerg --usepkg ..."
Also I like
BinaryNation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
Code:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="  \
 --quiet-build=y \
 --binpkg-respect-use=y \
 --with-bdeps=y \
 --verbose-conflicts \
 --verbose \
 --color=y \
 --alphabetical \
 --ask-enter-invalid \
 --jobs=1 \
 --ask=y  \
 --nospinner \
"
"emerg --usepkg ..."
Also I like

Also I got an error for --verbose-conflicts
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@BinaryNation

The FEATURES you get by
man make.conf
type '/' (search) 'FEATURES'

The EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS
are just options of the portage command "emerge", see:
man emerge
"--verbose-conflicts" is a new option, might be you are runing the older portage version?

The format of lines of various files are described in
man portage

PS: Options I want to edit daily I like one by line:
the end of a line with '\' means continuation - no blanks allowed after it.
BinaryNation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would find the current version of emerge? emerge --info give me this at the top:

Code:
Portage 2.1.12.2 (default/linux/amd64/13.0, gcc-4.6.3, glibc-2.15-r3, 3.8.13-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.8.13-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_Turion-tm-_64_X2_Mobile_Technology_TL-60-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem:     1925152 total,    772580 free
KiB Swap:    8000364 total,   8000364 free
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 21:15:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.23.1
app-shells/bash:          4.2_p45
dev-lang/python:          2.7.5, 3.2.5-r1
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.28
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.2
sys-apps/openrc:          0.11.8
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.6-r1
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.69
sys-devel/automake:       1.12.6
sys-devel/binutils:       2.23.1
sys-devel/gcc:            4.6.3
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.7.3
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4-r1
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r4
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.7 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.15-r3
Tractor Girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@BinaryNation

Just create a file /etc/portage/package.use and put your stuff there.
I'd say it's better to keep your global USE flags list clean and simple, and use package.use more often. It is more flexible and you'll have more control over your system.
Just run emerge with '-av' , consult 'equery uses' for flags descriptions and setup what you really need in /etc/portage/package.use
Also you don't need to unset flag like "-gnome" etc, if it wasn't enabled earlier by your profile or somewhere else.
BinaryNation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to also put emerge --version gave me this:

Code:
Portage 2.1.12.2 (default/linux/amd64/13.0, gcc-4.6.3, glibc-2.15-r3, 3.8.13-gentoo x86_64)
BinaryNation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tractor Girl wrote:
@BinaryNation

Just create a file /etc/portage/package.use and put your stuff there.
I'd say it's better to keep your global USE flags list clean and simple, and use package.use more often. It is more flexible and you'll have more control over your system.
Just run emerge with '-av' , consult 'equery uses' for flags descriptions and setup what you really need in /etc/portage/package.use
Also you don't need to unset flag like "-gnome" etc, if it wasn't enabled earlier by your profile or somewhere else.

Thank you.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BinaryNation wrote:
I forgot to also put emerge --version gave me this:

Code:
You should use
Code:
emerge --sync
emerge --update portage
, because the current version of portage is:
Code:
 ~ # emerge --search @sys-apps/portage
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : sys-apps/portage ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  sys-apps/portage
      Latest version available: 2.2.7
      Latest version installed: 2.2.7
      Size of files: 885 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/index.xml
      Description:   Portage is the package management and distribution system for Gentoo
      License:       GPL-2

BinaryNation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Yamakuzure Thank you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: