kernel crash dump with UEFI
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laugeo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: kernel crash dump with UEFI Reply with quote

hello everyone,

im in a bit of a problem, i've installed gentoo on my Asus n56v, since i need a dual boot with w7 i'm using rEFInd to boot both w7 and gentoo, but once i've completed the install and i boot into gentoo my kernel crashed :? . looking arround the forum i found a thread about using kexec and kdump to get a print of the error in order to fix it, but, as far as i understoo, i need to set an option on the bootloader to assign memory to hold the kernel errors, but since i'm using rEFInd i dont know how to set this up, and without this i cant get the log of the kernel to fix the issues.
im hoping someone here can help me fix this since im relatively new to gentoo, ive installed it once before on my desktop, but it was much easier then, everything worked fine the first time, and this time it just wont work.

thanks

im leaving here the gide i used for the dual boot:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8

and the guide i tried to follow for the kernel dump
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Crash_Dumps
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: kernel crash dump with UEFI Reply with quote

laugeo wrote:
and the guide i tried to follow for the kernel dump
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Crash_Dumps

From this page:

Kernel_Crash_Dumps wiki wrote:
Bootloader

To the kernel boot option, add crashkernel=64M for up to around 12GB of system RAM.

To do this in rEFInd, you can either edit the /boot/refind_linux.conf file and add crashkernel=64M to the kernel options or, once you've selected a kernel in the rEFInd menu, hit F2 or Insert twice to get the kernel options and add crashkernel=64M to those options. The former will change the options permanently (or you can create one submenu item to set the option), whereas the latter will change the options for a single boot.
laugeo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

thanks for the reply, tried what you told me, but i still couldn't make it work. i believe my problem is somewhere else, i was reading again the guide for the kdump and i think my problem is that my kernel crashes while booting up, so i don't get a chance to execute the kdump.start script in order to boot to the secondary kernel when this one crashes to recover the dump.
let me know if you have any insights
thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: