View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmij
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] webkit-gtk horror Reply with quote

I'm in the process of upgrading to gnome-light 3 on my old netbook and just in the middle, after 12 hours [sic!] of webkit-gtk compilation I've experienced power loss for one second. Couldn't be any better. :roll:
AFAIK there is no way to tell emerge to continue compilation and I really do not want to start from the beginning. Thus I see three other options:
1. get pre-compiled package. Is there any BINHOST which provides webkit-gtk-2.0.4?
2. compile manually: 'cd /var/tmp/portage/net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.0.4/work/webkitgtk-2.0.4 && make', but what to do next?
3. Drop webkit-gtk completely. 'equery depends' shows that only gnome-extra/yelp needs it, and I do not need gnome help browser, so maybe I can skip it somehow in gnome-light?

Suggestion welcome, thanks in advance.

Last edited by jimmij on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4) ebuild /usr/portage/net-libs/webkit-gtk/webki-gtk-2.0.4.ebuild compile install qmerge
5) drop "-ggdb" from your CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS to speed up compilation (and actually linking, which takes GBs of RAM with enabled debug flags)
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ccache is enabled, restart to compile an aborted emerge could take less time but, ... I dont know if aborted emerge binaries output are stored. More search is needed.
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see yelp listed as a direct RDEPEND in the gnome-light-3.8.0.ebuild (presuming that's what you're trying). Check what's requiring yelp? It was a dependency listed for the gnome-light-2 ebuild, although a questionable decision for some in the forums in the past for the same reasons you're bringing up. The only thing requiring it (directly) on my system is the gnome2 base ebuild. Since I find gnome provided documentation sketchy at best, I probably should have just modified a local overlay copy of the ebuild to remove yelp.

I've not ran into any slick tricks to resuming an interrupted portage build.
jimmij
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzf wrote:
4) ebuild /usr/portage/net-libs/webkit-gtk/webki-gtk-2.0.4.ebuild compile install qmerge

That did the trick, thx.
jimmij
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navar wrote:
I don't see yelp listed as a direct RDEPEND in the gnome-light-3.8.0.ebuild (presuming that's what you're trying). Check what's requiring yelp? It was a dependency listed for the gnome-light-2 ebuild, although a questionable decision for some in the forums in the past for the same reasons you're bringing up. The only thing requiring it (directly) on my system is the gnome2 base ebuild. Since I find gnome provided documentation sketchy at best, I probably should have just modified a local overlay copy of the ebuild to remove yelp.

You are right, webkit-gtk was required by yelp which was required by gnome-light-2. I incorrectly assumed that "equery depends <package>" returns all dependencies, while it gives only dependencies of packages/slot/use_flags which have been already installed on the system. Anyway, problem solved.
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Nice way to skip unpack and configure process again. Wish I had noticed that in the ebuild man page before on older systems. I know I've searched the forums in past for ways to resume but came up empty other than an arguably broken caching process. Any idea if it actually resumes the build intelligently where it left of or does it do a forced clean full rebuild? Late stage link failure (usually due to memory) was always a drag on large builds.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This feature has existed since I can remember, and it's called keepwork. It's documented in the make.conf man page, and probably in some other places as well.

Code:
FEATURES="keepwork" emerge foo

Whether it will work depends on the exact circumstances. And you have better chances if you don't change the USE flags or do any other strange thing in the while. This feature should never be left on, and should only be used in situations like the one you describe. But it's not guaranteed to work in any case.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: