mounting usb stick
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rekonrad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: mounting usb stick Reply with quote

I am installing my system with a wireless usb adapter that needs to be built from source. All the information I need is on a usb stick including the stage 3 and portage snapshot. From the minimal installation, what is the command to mount the usb stick? I've tried everything I can think of including "mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb"

Thanks
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - I presume this is failing, or you wouldn't be asking for help. What's the error message?
2 - After you insert the USB stick, what does dmesg say?
rekonrad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: working Reply with quote

It works now...I'm not sure why but obviously a user error. In short, I'm trying to install my system without a working internet connection. I have the source for the driver I need to build to get my wireless usb adapter working. I've done it with other distros. After coping stage 3 to /mnt/gentoo I was hoping to have development tools ready to use (make, make install etc) but I guess this is too early in the installation. Perhaps I need to chroot before I can make the driver.

Thanks
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You absolutely need to be inside the chroot before you can make the driver. I'm not even sure if you can really build the driver this early in the installation. I guess you do have enough system there to do an "emerge world", so you probably can. It really depends on if enough of the right infrastructure is in the stage3 to build your driver.
rekonrad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: usb wireless driver Reply with quote

I'm also recalling from other distributions, that I need kernel headers as well. I guess I need to download the kernel source and add it to the usb stick....
I have 8 g of memory so you are suggesting I can do "emerge world". I will try. Thanks.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be able to do "emerge world" without an internet connection, because you need to fetch the sources. I was pointing out that the stage3 has the necessary code to compile, because it is able to do an "emerge world" - when it has internet access. You probably will need kernel headers - and the source to your wireless driver. And hope and luck.
rekonrad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: no internet installation Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I managed to do a wired network install. All in in process.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: