[SOLVED] No subtitles with mplayer2/smplayer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] No subtitles with mplayer2/smplayer Reply with quote

For some reason I have no subtitles when playing videos with mplayer2/smplayer.
When starting it from CLI I see no errors. I can see the subtitle file being recognized in the player. However, I have no text output at all.
From the mplayer2 website:
Quote:
Subtitle rendering uses libass by default

Using libass to render subtitles gives better font rendering and styling support, but on the other hand some subtitle options may not work as before or at all. The video filter needed to draw libass subtitles with video output drivers that do not directly support rendering them may also cause problems in some rare cases (videos with unusual colorspaces). If you encounter problems you can use the “-noass” option to use the old subtitle rendering functionality.

mplayer2 is compiled with the libass flag:
Code:
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/mplayer2-2.0_p20130126  USE="X alsa dts enca iconv libass mmx mmxext mp3 network opengl png postproc rtc shm sse sse2 ssse3 unicode vorbis xv -3dnow -3dnowext -a52 (-altivec) (-aqua) -bluray -bs2b -cddb -cdio -cpudetection -debug -directfb -doc -dv -dvb -dvd -dvdnav -faad -fbcon -ftp -gif -ipv6 -jack -joystick -jpeg -ladspa -lcms -libcaca -lirc -mad -md5sum -mng -nut -oss -pnm -portaudio -pulseaudio -pvr -quvi -radio -rar -samba -sdl -speex -symlink -tga -theora -v4l -vcd -vdpau -xanim -xinerama -xscreensaver -xvid -yuv4mpeg"

And the needed linguas are enabled for smplayer:
Code:
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/smplayer-0.8.5  USE="-debug" LINGUAS="bg en_US -ar_SY -ca -cs -da -de -el_GR -es -et -eu -fi -fr -gl -he_IL -hr -hu -it -ja -ka -ko -ku -lt -mk -ms_MY -nl -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro_RO -ru_RU -sk -sl_SI -sr -sv -th -tr -uk_UA -vi_VN -zh_CN -zh_TW"

Any ideas what am I missing :?: :roll:

Last edited by xtz on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this?
--sub=/entire/path/for/subtitle
dwbowyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it external .srt file that you are trying to use, or subtitles inside the A/V wrapper? Subtitles may be compressed in rar archives, and so maybe rar USE flag is needed.
Did you also try running mplayer2 with the -noass option as in the quote from the website? It is well known that mplayer2 is refactoring the mplayer subtitles coding, because
the old code was spaghetti and hard to update (but it worked). Some files simply don't like playing subtitles under mplayer2, since the new code is incomplete and buggy.
xtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudregues wrote:
Tried this?
--sub=/entire/path/for/subtitle

Actually, the option is '-sub /path/to/filename' and yes, it did not work but lots of those:
Code:
[ass] Glyph 0xE013 not found, selecting one more font for (OSD, 80, 0)

dwbowyer wrote:
Is it external .srt file that you are trying to use, or subtitles inside the A/V wrapper? Subtitles may be compressed in rar archiv
es, and so maybe rar USE flag is needed.
Did you also try running mplayer2 with the -noass option as in the quote from the website? It is well known that mplayer2 is refactoring the mplayer subtitles coding, because
the old code was spaghetti and hard to update (but it worked). Some files simply don't like playing subtitles under mplayer2, since the new code is incomplete and buggy.

It is external (.srt and .sub); -noass didn't work either.

However, I managed to find the problem - it was actually a fontconfig bug, affecting media-libs/fontconfig-2.10.92.
My solution was to mask 2.10.92 and install 2.11.0, although I had to keyword-unmask it.
Downgrading to 2.10.2 seems to be fixing things for people too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: