Gentoo Locks UP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trea
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Locks UP Reply with quote

I've been using Gentoo for a few weeks now with no problems. However, starting this morning, it will randomly lock up, with no warning or type of error message. The other weird thing is the caps lock and scroll lock lights on my keyboard will flash repeatedly. The only software that I have recently installed is open office. THe only thing I have been able to do is to turn the machine off and start over. Any ideas on what may be causing this? The machine has been perfectly stable up until this point.
violentgreen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Locks UP Reply with quote

Trea wrote:
I've been using Gentoo for a few weeks now with no problems. However, starting this morning, it will randomly lock up, with no warning or type of error message. The other weird thing is the caps lock and scroll lock lights on my keyboard will flash repeatedly. The only software that I have recently installed is open office. THe only thing I have been able to do is to turn the machine off and start over. Any ideas on what may be causing this? The machine has been perfectly stable up until this point.

When you say "Gentoo Locks UP" do you mean that X stops responding or the whole system stops responding? Can you hit ctrl-alt-backspace to exit out of X? Have you looked at the logs to see what's happening?
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashing keyboard lights? Sounds like a kernel panic to me. Check your /var/log/messages file
Trea
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole system stops responding. I believe it is a kernel panic and have looked at the message log, but I can't make sense of it. I don't see anything that would indicate an error, but that may be due to my inexperience. Thanks for the reply, BTW
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to post a relevant section of your message log for folks to look at. Might help them find a solution.

You might also want to check the ventalation in your computer case. It could be overheating. The flashing keyboard lights might be your mobo's way of alerting you to the trouble, though I'm just guessing.
paulfl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Locks UP Reply with quote

Trea wrote:

I've just installed gentoo from stage 3 on a new machine and have the same problem, it happened while emerge sync was running.....
Happened again at the end of emerging apache
I've checked critical log but can't see anything relevent.
the "everything" log has a couple of items I've not seen before...
Code:

[PAM-env] Unknown PAM_ITEM: <DISPLAY>
[PAM-env] Unknown PAM_ITEM: <XAUTHORITY>

Does anyone have any help/suggestions?
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try running something else that is CPU intensive and see if it will trigger the locking. If it does your system probably has overheating issues.
paulfl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be related to the KVM switch,
I can see the HDD light is working fine and using SSH I can access the gentoo machine from my Windows XP machine
If I emerge a program I can read the emerge log, wait until the emerge has finished and then if I switch to the linux box, I see a black screen, pressing any key gives the flashing scroll/caps lock buttons, no option but reset.
I've read some posts about am running kernel with acpi turned off, I modified grub.conf....
Code:

kernel (hd0,0)/kernel/linux-2.4.26 root=/dev/hda2 vga=791 pci=noacpi acpi=off

still gave problem.
I connected an old PS/2 mouse to the KVM switch rather than the Optical USB with PS/2 adapter I was using...
Still have same problem.
Angry Geek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth while doing an fsck. Had an problem not so long back where my system would hard lock for no apparent reason. Turned out to be a dodgy reiser file system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: