View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: Transient Font Corruption in Mozilla 1.0 Reply with quote

I've been noticing some occasional font problems under mozilla 1.0 when reading long pages of text (/., NYTimes, etc). I'll be scrolling down the page and sometimes the fonts will appear to be corrupted or grainy. The corruption usually only affects a small (postage stamp size) area of about two words across and one to three lines up and down. The font will look strange and be unreadable until I scroll that line off the screen and then back on.

The funny thing is, this problem seems to come and go, and I can't really predict when it will be triggered. But once it starts to happen it will usually happen frequently until I restart mozilla. I'll go a week without seeing it and then it will pop up again.

I unmasked mozilla 1.1beta and installed that, and so far I haven't noticed this occurring. I'm not sure yet if it's really gone though since it may just be dormant by coincidence. I've only been using 1.1 for a day or so.

Anyone know whether a bug like that has been fixed in mozilla since 1.0?
This problem has been frustrating me for ages since I can't seem to pin down why it's happening. What's worse is it will usually go away when I switch windows as well so it has been thwarting my attempts to take a screenshot. :evil:
Larde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Mozilla preferences (Edit->Preferences->Appearance->Fonts), switch the display resolution from "System Setting" to 96 dpi.

Hth,
Larde.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the fast reply.

I switched the setting and it seems to work okay now. Not sure what the problem was, but I'm using an LCD (laptop) screen if that makes any difference.

3 minutes may be a new record for a solution on these forums for me :)
Larde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's a random event. I just logged in to the forum. And your posting was the top one, and it's my favourite problem, because I was suffering from it for a long time... :-)

Yours,
Larde.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's baaaack.... :(
This morning I saw the problem recur while reading a /. article in Mozilla 1.1beta.
My font display resolution is now set at 96 DPI and the problem still occurs periodically.
It seems a lot less frequent than it was in earlier versions of Moz, but it's still happening. I think this tends to happen when I rapidly scroll a page, but I'm not sure what exactly causes it since it's rather infrequent now. I can only guess that the resolution thing was not really the cause of this...

Any more ideas?
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, now that I think about it, it seems like this may have started around the time I upgraded XFree86 from the -r9 version to -r12.

Not sure why that would make a difference but I have recompiled -r12 since then and it still happens, so I dunno if that's it or not.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: