Courier-imap killing my HD ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWU42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Courier-imap killing my HD ? Reply with quote

I am stumped :?

I have been using the documented postfix / courier-imap / squirrelmail solution for 9 months without a problem. Recently I noticed problems accessing my imap folders from a windows box on my lan. Specifically, I couldn't refresh my folder list - it would time out. Now, I have tried to use squirrelmail while away to view some jpg attachments (the reason for not using mutt) and squirrelmail is timing out.

I decided to ssh in and keep top open and see what was going on. Courier-imap sets cpu usage to 100% for about 30 seconds then finaly squirrelmail times out.

Any bright ideas?

I have unmerged remerged courier-imap and squirrelmail without any success. Mutt works fine, assuming because I am not using the imap server. I am wondering if the HD is going bad and the I/O activity is causing the usage to go sky high.

For now, I am still getting e-mail and can access it thru my windows box. But even with that things aren't "right".

Thanks in Advance!

PS Any issues with moving .maildir to another box?
chrisis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Courier-imap killing my HD ? Reply with quote

JWU42 wrote:
I am stumped :?

I have been using the documented postfix / courier-imap / squirrelmail solution for 9 months without a problem. Recently I noticed problems accessing my imap folders from a windows box on my lan. Specifically, I couldn't refresh my folder list - it would time out. Now, I have tried to use squirrelmail while away to view some jpg attachments (the reason for not using mutt) and squirrelmail is timing out.

I decided to ssh in and keep top open and see what was going on. Courier-imap sets cpu usage to 100% for about 30 seconds then finaly squirrelmail times out.

Any bright ideas?

I have unmerged remerged courier-imap and squirrelmail without any success. Mutt works fine, assuming because I am not using the imap server. I am wondering if the HD is going bad and the I/O activity is causing the usage to go sky high.

For now, I am still getting e-mail and can access it thru my windows box. But even with that things aren't "right".

Thanks in Advance!

PS Any issues with moving .maildir to another box?

Can you access the imap folders/use squirrelmail from another PC besides the one you mention here? Perhaps there is a personal firewall or something on that box that isn't letting the info flow back?
JWU42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Courier-imap killing my HD ? Reply with quote

chrisis wrote:

Can you access the imap folders/use squirrelmail from another PC besides the one you mention here? Perhaps there is a personal firewall or something on that box that isn't letting the info flow back?

Nope - this is happening from multiple windows boxen from both behind and outside my router.

Thanks for the attempt though!
toojays
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my folders time out in squirrelmail, although I'm using UW-IMAP (so mbox instead of maildir). It doesn't happen to all folders though, only the ones with heaps (i.e. over 1000) emails in them. KMail can get the folder listings up quite fast, but squirrelmail times out.
JWU42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well these folders don't have more than about 25 e-mails in them... :x
bfdi533
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you are still around or not but I was wondering if you ever figured this out as my setup is now doing something similar to yours.

I use Squirremail and roundcubemail both and they are having the same issues. 100% CPU when maildir is accessed. But, in addition to your problem, mutt is also experiencing the same 100% CPU issues on my system as well and running performance monitors shows the HD is not the culprit on the bottleneck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: