View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MelRay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: SOLVED: KDE profile with systemd selected during Reply with quote

I have been reviewing the article on the wiki page. When I review information about X it says that some packages were already installed if kde profile was selected during installation of Gentoo. My question is how do I figure out which of the packages that are required before emerging X has already been installed. I did read the information about what to do after install of the system. Is the best method just to use the --search option and look for the listed packages on the X wiki, or is there a better method to use? I'm looking forward to learning how to use and administrate the system along with meeting new people and making friends along that way. :D

MelRay

Last edited by MelRay on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo!

One of the nice things about using Portage is that it figures out dependencies for you. That means that if you want to install package P that depends on X, Y, and Z, Portage figures out what to do. If any of X, Y, or Z are already installed, Portage just goes with them, but if any are missing, Portage automatically schedules the missing ones to be emerged before the one you requested.

I don't know if you read about some of the parameters you can give to the emerge command, but something I do almost every time I want to use it is to check out what is to be emerged and what USE flags will be applied. The first part is the -v switch: it shows a verbose list of the packages that will be emerged. I use that along with -p or -a. The -p switch means "pretend": it shows you what it would emerge, but then does nothing. The other choice is often handier: the -a switch means "ask": it shows you the list of packages and asks you if you want to emerge them or not.

If you run this command,
Code:
emerge -va xorg-server

you'll see *lots and lots* of lines. If you look in that list, you'll see any prerequisite packages for the X server that are not already installed. Since you're just starting out, don't sweat too much about what all it means. Just see from this that there are a *bunch* of packages you don't have to worry about explicitly.

In a big package like the X server, the main package might depend on some number of smaller packages, and these smaller packages might have their own dependencies--and so on. You don't have to worry about it: Portage sorts it all out for you.

There are some situations when Portage can't figure out what to do. A good thing about Portage is that it doesn't try to decide for you. The assumption in Gentoo is that you are the one to decide. The most likely situation where a conflict might arise is when you do a version-number upgrade of something huge like KDE. Since you are installing a system afresh, you can get your feet wet without a lot of trouble. If you get stuck, we're here to help out.
MelRay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the tips! Reply with quote

Miket thank you so much for taking time to help with my question. I decided to go back and re-install gentoo by selecting the other profile for kde without systemd. I am not sure how to proceed and will post back the exact message when I'm on my laptop which is where it is installed. I plan to move away from gui interfaces altogether, but as with all things start slow, understand the basics fully before trying to advance to more advanced topics. I'll go ahead and close this thread since it basically won't have anything to do with the other issue.

Best Regards,

MelRay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: