Which Profile For A Server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Which Profile For A Server Reply with quote

Basically it will be used for storage (backups), will have Luxrender node on it (console), will require wine for another render node app, and will have nginx/mariadb/php-fpm.

So I know I will need a light weight desktop, so was thinking openbox, but do I need to use the desktop profile if I am only going to use the desktop sparsely ?
dambacher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a graphical system on your server i recomment to use the profile for desktop.
you get all the use flags set correctly from the beginning.
if you use a light weight desktop like openbox or xfce you don't need select desktop/gnome or desktop/kde
and install much bloat.
if you want to store backups and calculate rendering think of having a separate partitions for home and backup storage.
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the backups are on separate drives, after a bit of googling I went with the default profile and just put all the use flags I would require into package.use, seems to be going okay for now :)
vrm-ol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dambacher wrote:
If you want a graphical system on your server i recomment to use the profile for desktop.
you get all the use flags set correctly from the beginning.
if you use a light weight desktop like openbox or xfce you don't need select desktop/gnome or desktop/kde
and install much bloat.

What if it's a server, which serves several dumb X-terminals (aka "application server") and some classic services (nntp, mail, database, dhcp and so on) to some other full featured clients (including windows)?

I use xfce as wm for the thin clients and applications from both, gnome and kde, depending on taste :-) Up until now, i always was happy with the default profile, no decision to use either gnome or kde, and no "classic" desktop use ....

Now i'm thinking of switching to systemd .... but there is no systemd-only profile, exept explicit desktop-profiles, which are designed for kde _xor_ gnome. Any Ideas?

TIA
vrm
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end I kept it as Profile 1 - and put X as a useflag in make.conf, I am using LXDE in vnc - and i just put the flags i need for certain apps in package.use - seems to be working okay for me for now, won't be long before i break something or a dev breaks it for me :D

As for systemd - the only profiles for that seem to be for gnome and kde, Im not touching that till i need to :p
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: