Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why isn't the ACL/preserve bugs in fileutils/xfs fixed yet?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClaesBas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Why isn't the ACL/preserve bugs in fileutils/xfs fixed yet? Reply with quote

When you install Gentoo on x86 for the first time it's big chance that You follow the suggestion to put XFS on some partions if You follow the 1.2 Installation instructions (which suggest XFS).
What I mean is that it must be many who has tried to install with XFS (I have been AIX and HP/UX sysadmin, so I knew and like the ACL-thing).

If You look at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3582 You see that a patch existed since 2002-07-14, but nothing done in the portage tree! I've also looked in the CVS!

Every package which have some cp/mv "-a" or "-p" crash!

Isn't this bug something like PRIO ONE?

If it is the Ebuildfile who has some command with preserveflag, I've found a workaround:
emerge -f package
edit /usr/portage/<app-group>/<package>/<package>.ebuild (change -a or -p to -r)
emerge /usr/portage/<app-group>/<package>/<package>.ebuild
Maybe You have to check the files "mod" afterwords...
(fixed Ghostscript this way)

You could maybe do some "alias" thing with bash as a workaround instead...

Hope someone who are in command, fixes this asop!

Regards
Claes

PS
I'm impressed of the distro, except for the slow fix of this BIG bug which has been knewn since 2002-06-10 ....
ClaesBas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: I must say that I'm new to this distro! Reply with quote

If I "spoke portage/gentoo fluently", I have had a patched system now!.

/C
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Why isn't the ACL/preserve bugs in fileutils/xfs fixed y Reply with quote

ClaesBas wrote:
If You look at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3582 You see that a patch existed since 2002-07-14, but nothing done in the portage tree!

Well, today is 2002-07-20... This means the patch is, hmm... 6 days old... And not yet severely tested...
ClaesBas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why isn't the ACL/preserve bugs in fileutils/xfs fixed y Reply with quote

fghellar wrote:
Well, today is 2002-07-20... This means the patch is, hmm... 6 days old... And not yet severely tested...

In "Bugzilla" this problem Opened: 2002-06-10 10:47
Sam Yates made a Patch: 2002-07-14 12:47
I can't see any tracks of it in the CVS!?

Where is this testing goin on?

Change the Install instructions about XFS to be "production-ready" (in Gentoo)!!!!!!!

BTW Java and the "ant-thing" is "spaggetish" also with Gentoo....

Ok, I've read more about the Portage and now I'm aware of how to patch a "Gentoo-package". But this problem have been in the distro since at least 10:th of june!

Am I the only one who tried the XFS-track of Gentoo and need "packages" which preserves or moves files under installation?

A HOWTO and a Standard to post and install patches to Gentoo needed (if this "testing phase" could be like this)!
Maybe someone say/write: do it. I think someone of main distrodevs should do it (= Patches the way they like to throug them and maybe some cool Gentooish tool for it...).

Should I drop the XFS and start from scratch with Ext3 instead?

/Claes

PS
I found a proposal for fileutils: 4.1.10 (in Bugzilla)
Does this fix it and if so when?
[/b]
HalfFlat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I was the one who popped the patch on the bug report (Sam Yates) - but I haven't gone so far as to create an ebuild or a formal patch yet, as I've been busy :wink:

Hopefully I'll get a chance to clean it up and attach the patches + new ebuild on the bug report this coming weekend, but I might just run out of time. On the other hand, there is enough information in the bug report for a maintainer to amend the ebuild themselves - I guess they're all working on other things at the moment.

I haven't looked at the new fileutils (4.1.10) yet, and I can't check CVS at the moment as it seems to be down (?). The issue with libacl which causes ls -l to say that everything has an extended ACL may well be addressed in more recent versions of the xfs tools. I'm guessing the maintainers are waiting for the 2.4.19 release before updating xfs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: