Snapshots
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Snapshots Reply with quote

I'd like to make a snapshot of my laptop so I can clone it onto another identical laptop. Which tools should I use for this?
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try clonezilla.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: imaging drives Reply with quote

Make sure that the destination drive is the same size or larger than the source. Pick up a usb to SATA converter if you don't already have one. I've seen some of these included with "upgrade" kits for the bigger replacement drives which are basically just a cable with a standard sata hot swap bracket sata and sata power connector socket on the end. Others have a usb on one end and a cradle with various drive size slots on the other end.

Plug and boot from a thumb drive or dvd with a live distro installed on it. Plug in the converter to a usb port. You may have to find the "powered" one if your sata converter doesn't have a wall wart for power.

Your live distro boot will probably populate /dev/disk/by-id properly with the drives that show up. Check the make and serial numbers on the drives to make sure that you get your drive letters correct for dd with:

Code:
ls -l /dev/disk/by-id

Then clone from the old drive (if=) to the new drive (of=) as follows:

Code:
dd if=/dev/sd<letter> of=/dev/sd<letter> bs=2048

Depending on drive types and sizes, this can take anywhere from about 15mins to a couple of hours, but it will copy everything including the boot record and partitioning information.

You will need to fix your network setup if you have edited your /etc/conf.d/net file for anything other than a simple dhcp configuration. You may also want to look for and edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to edit the MAC address(es) if you want to keep your network device names consistent.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware that the advice from vaxbrat copies everything, including free space. If the destination drive is solid state, you should not do this. Instead, you should copy the files via tar or rsync -a.

If you have a substantial amount of free space on the source filesystem, it would be faster to copy the files instead of the drive.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have so far. On the target laptop I boot sysresccd from a USB stick and run this script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

fdisk /dev/sda <<EOF
d
d

n
p
+64M

a

n
p

w
EOF

umount /dev/sda1
umount /dev/sda2
mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/gentoo
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

echo "config_enp0s20u1=\"192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255\"" > /etc/conf.d/net
/etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart
rc

Then on the source laptop I run:

Code:
# mount /dev/sda1 /boot
# rsync -av -e 'ssh -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no' --include=/dev/console --include=/dev/null --exclude=/swapfile --exclude=/home/* --exclude=/media/* --exclude=/proc/* --exclude=/root/* --exclude=/sys --exclude=/usr/portage --exclude=/usr/src/* --exclude=/var/cache --exclude=/var/log --exclude=/var/tmp/* --exclude=/dev/* --exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/var/spool/* /* 192.168.1.2:/mnt/gentoo
# umount /dev/sda1

Then on the target laptop I run:

Code:
# grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt/gentoo /dev/sda

That produces a working system on the target. Lots more to do....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: