Cant login
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjcoss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Cant login Reply with quote

I recently did an upgrade of my system, and as part of that upgrade I installed systemd. I'm still running openRC, because I prefer it but more and more there are dependencies on systemd, and installing it seemed to allow things to proceed. I don't have systemd in my USE flags. Things seem to work ok, but I noticed during boot that I was getting a message regarding

Code:

tmpfiles: ignoring invalid entry on line 11 of `/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d//systemd-nologin.conf'
tmpfiles: ignoring invalid entry on line 18 of `/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d//x11.conf'

Digging around I found that /lib64/rc/sh/tmpfiles.sh was parsing the tmpfiles.d files incorrectly. Notably the '!' as the second character to indicate that the command only applies during boot. So I fixed it to correctly parse the entries and even checked whether the commands should be run or not by using rc-status to check the run level.

Fixing it however made it so I couldn't log in. The file /run/nologin was now properly created during boot, but there was no subsequent script run in the 'default' state that removed the file to allow logins. So I can chalk this up to the fact that I'm running openRC with systemd installed, but it seems like this configuration was envisioned, given that this is an openRC script parsing systemd files. Or is it a bug that should be reported. The code to fix tmpfiles.sh is pretty straightforward.

Or do just leave it broke.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say report it as a bug that the tmpfiles script mishandled the configuration file.
Mgiese
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also switched to system.d now i dont see a login console. the system just stopps at boot without error message.

Code:
tmpfiles: ignoring invalid entry on line 11 of `/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d//systemd-nologin.conf'
tmpfiles: ignoring invalid entry on line 18 of `/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d//x11.conf'

i also had those errors, i just deleted the files. the errors disappeared but i still can not login

edit : revdep-rebuild and kernel switch finally fixed it for me

Ryzen9 7950x ; Geforce1650 ; kernel 6.5 ; XFCE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: