Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
vesafb: black screen with non-VGA modes (non-text ones)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fargred
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: vesafb: black screen with non-VGA modes (non-text ones) Reply with quote

Last edited by fargred on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is the important setting here. If built as module, you must ensure that it is loaded during boot.
fargred
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chithanh wrote:
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is the important setting here. If built as module, you must ensure that it is loaded during boot.

Code:
$ zgrep -i '^[^#].*framebuffer_console' /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY=y

Thanks. Any other ideas? I was thinking… May it be that that’s tty spawning in a wrong place (if it’s possible)?
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have more than one graphics chip (onboard and discrete) it is possible that vesafb activates the wrong one.

Check dmesg for "Console: switching to colour frame buffer device" or similar message, and /proc/fb whether vesafb is actually active and whether you have more than one framebuffer.
fargred
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chithanh wrote:
If you have more than one graphics chip (onboard and discrete) it is possible that vesafb activates the wrong one.

Yes, there is Intel HD Graphics 3000, but there were no problems with it, BIOS was always set to initiate PCI-E card first.
chithanh wrote:
Check dmesg for "Console: switching to colour frame buffer device" or similar message, and /proc/fb whether vesafb is actually active and whether you have more than one framebuffer.

Hmm, this is what I found at the beginning of dmesg a couple of reboots ago:
Code:
[   5.458823] NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
[   5.458830] NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
[   5.458834] NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
[   5.458838] NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
[   5.458841] NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.

My dmesg usually starts from the sixth or seventh second, because of no ramfs, I suppose. It seems that this is just a warning appeared in 2013, and nobody got hurt until now. But I don’t understand: what is giving me that error? Nvidia blob? But it is a module, which is not loaded until X started, am I right? Or is this the kernel? Then why I had no problems with 1024×768 framebuffer before with the same hardware, kernel and the rest of OS? I’ve tried to recompile nvidia-drivers to downgrade it to 30x version but got into dependency hell with multilib and had to return to the package from the current ~arch.

Well, is this the kernel forbidding vesafb to set VESA (not VGA) modes, because it has found my nvidia card?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: