sys update problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: sys update problem Reply with quote

Ok, during installing i had to hard reboot as system froze, the result was a file corruption which required me to re-untar stage3 tarball over a base install that i had updated. I then went through rest of install process, all seemed ok except that every time i emerge something the system would try and and unmerge the old file versions and leave the latest versions in place.

The problem with this is that because i had re untarred the stage3 tarball over the updated system the current system is using the older versions, so if unmerge removes older version i have un usable system.

i have tried doing update deep world but it does not report anything as needing updating, any ideas what i can do to sort this out?

many thanks
Pete_Keller
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman,

cd to /usr/portage/distfiles (I think). It is all the files you have downloaded when you run emerge. type rm -rf * in that directory, and you will delete all the files. Emerge will then download the files and rebuild them.

Because of these problems, you might want to redo a stage 3 install and re-perform step 6.14 which will reformat your partitions and remove all the crud that has accumulated.

Pete
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete_Keller wrote:
carpman,

cd to /usr/portage/distfiles (I think). It is all the files you have downloaded when you run emerge. type rm -rf * in that directory, and you will delete all the files. Emerge will then download the files and rebuild them.

Because of these problems, you might want to redo a stage 3 install and re-perform step 6.14 which will reformat your partitions and remove all the crud that has accumulated.

Pete

cheers, not sure i want to go through stage 3 install again :(

I just want to be able to emerge a few apps so can get a system running on this drive so i can install gentoo ami raid ide channels on system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: