alternatives to TrueCrypt
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
majoron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: alternatives to TrueCrypt Reply with quote

Hi,
Recently "something" happened to TrueCrypt. AFAIK there is not public statement apart from a red warning in its home site saying that TrueCrypt is not secure. I was interested in using it until I saw this message.

My question is: is there any tested alternative to TrueCrypt?
My needs are: I just need to encrypt an external disk which will be used only under Linux. It has to be free software.

Thanks in advance and best regards
zaphyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my personal opinion that TrueCrypt 7.1a is still safe to use for now. At the very least for personal use.
My opinion may change depending on the results of the security audit :-)

As for alternatives...perhaps dm-crypt or tcplay
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! The Gentoo wiki is worth to be read;)

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/DM-Crypt
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/DM-Crypt_LUKS
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Whole_Disk_Encryption

I use LUKS to encrypt a whole LVM set of partitions.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: alternatives to TrueCrypt Reply with quote

majoron wrote:
My question is: is there any tested alternative to TrueCrypt?. My needs are: I just need to encrypt an external disk which will be used only under Linux. It has to be free software.

majoron ... see app-crypt/tc-play, "a free, pretty much fully featured and stable TrueCrypt implementation". The current upstream is version 2.0, but only 1.2 is available via portage, there is a bug open, and bumping the 1.2 ebuild to 2.0 works (obviously you would need to use a local overlay).

best ... khay
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: alternatives to TrueCrypt Reply with quote

majoron wrote:
AFAIK there is not public statement apart from a red warning in its home site saying that TrueCrypt is not secure.

I don't use it myself, but i saw that story and it wakeup my curiosity. From what i know, it is a sudden act.
What is strange is that the project is down, when you don't get down a project with a security hole, you fix it.
Anyone have answer to that?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: alternatives to TrueCrypt Reply with quote

krinn wrote:

It seems that currently there are no public informations which answer that. One can find many theories of various sorts, though...
majoron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XavierMiller wrote:
Hey! The Gentoo wiki is worth to be read;)

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/DM-Crypt
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/DM-Crypt_LUKS
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Whole_Disk_Encryption

I use LUKS to encrypt a whole LVM set of partitions.

Thank you.
Yes, precisely when I was browsing those pages the question came to my mind: what are people using, and what do you recommend?

BR
majoron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: alternatives to TrueCrypt Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
majoron wrote:
My question is: is there any tested alternative to TrueCrypt?. My needs are: I just need to encrypt an external disk which will be used only under Linux. It has to be free software.

majoron ... see app-crypt/tc-play, "a free, pretty much fully featured and stable TrueCrypt implementation". The current upstream is version 2.0, but only 1.2 is available via portage, there is a bug open, and bumping the 1.2 ebuild to 2.0 works (obviously you would need to use a local overlay).

best ... khay

Thank you. I also saw this package. And although I don't have really critical data to protect, my fear is that this tc-play software is implementing the same wrong thing as TrueCrypt does. However, if some expert(s) give(s) me arguments to make me believe that this is not the case, I could consider this possibility.

BR
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: alternatives to TrueCrypt Reply with quote

majoron wrote:
Hi,
Recently "something" happened to TrueCrypt. AFAIK there is not public statement apart from a red warning in its home site saying that TrueCrypt is not secure. I was interested in using it until I saw this message.
Maybe the truecrypt page was hacked:
https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/truecrypt.sourceforge.net?utm_source=addon&utm_content=warn-viewsc

Even the project page is strange:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/truecrypt wrote:
WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues

The development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014 after Microsoft terminated support of Windows XP. Windows 8/7/Vista and later offer integrated support for encrypted disks and virtual disk images. Such integrated support is also available on other platforms. You should migrate any data encrypted by TrueCrypt to encrypted disks or virtual disk images supported on your platform.
Why would that be true and then release a new version on May 28th 2014?

This is complete nonsense, as BitLocker is fine for whole partitions/disks, but has (AFAIK) no container feature. And no hidden containers. And, AFAIR, you need Windows 7 professional and up to even get Bitlocker.
edit: Oh and to use BitLocker, your computer TPM module must be activated. Another No-No for me.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: alternatives to TrueCrypt Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Why would that be true and then release a new version on May 28th 2014?
Because it is rumored to be compromised. The whole thing seems to be hacked: http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2014/05/28/truecrypt_hack/
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it is dead.

But now there is : http://www.truecrypt.ch/
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: alternatives to TrueCrypt Reply with quote

majoron wrote:
khayyam wrote:
see app-crypt/tc-play, "a free, pretty much fully featured and stable TrueCrypt implementation".

Thank you. I also saw this package. And although I don't have really critical data to protect, my fear is that this tc-play software is implementing the same wrong thing as TrueCrypt does. However, if some expert(s) give(s) me arguments to make me believe that this is not the case, I could consider this possibility.

majoron ... you're welcome. I can't comment on the tc-play implimentation of TrueCrypt but the README does provide some comments on TrueCrypt and some implimentation notes. It also states that its a "core part of the DragonFly BSD operating system" so I asume those involved with the project have some relation to DragonFly BSD, and assumedly *care* about how well its implimented.

Also, I'm not using it myself (I use dm-crypt/LUKS), though I have it installed. The only reason I have it is that a group of us here provided a workshop on various privacy issues and we created some small test images using LUKS and tcplay.

best ... khay
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueCrypt will come through all this, I think, in some shape or form. I was a bit panicked like many people by the news, but if you look into it a bit, and take Occam's razor to it, I find there's little reason to think the worst.

The first thing that's notable about the updated web page is how rudimentary it is: it's pretty much the HTML equivalent of a scribbled note. If you discount the possibility of defacement (which doesn't make a lot of sense and is contraindicated by the new binary apparently signed with a legit key), then you must conclude that the devs who re-did the page either (A) were in a big hurry, or (B) couldn't be arsed putting much effort into it.

I believe (B) is more likely, and that opinion is lent weight by this snippet from one of the devs as relayed to the head of the audit project (reported by Steve Gibson here):

Quote:
We worked hard on this for 10 years, nothing lasts forever.

Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory, but it looks to me like the reality is more prosaic: they've had enough of it, and they don't have a successor lined up to take over because nobody understands the codebase like they do. That's fair enough, and tc-play is evidence that the format can outlive the original product, whether that product reincarnates in a direct fork or not.

I'll certainly be interested to see how the audit turns out, but I feel no less confident using TrueCrypt now than I did before this development.
Pearlseattle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation: encfs
It's since years that I use it to encrypt my home directories and a portion of my raid and it has never failed (e.g. when my raid5 lost 1hdd on xfs the whole thing was ok as you expected when using any other filesystem, when I lost my main backup drives the restoration from the secondary backup gave me everything without problems, etc...).

Important:
encfs is not a filesystem - it's just an additional layer that you put on top of whatever you're using as filesystem.
You will therefore format your device(s) with whichever fs you want (e.g. ext3/ext4/xfs/jfs/btrfs/ufs/whatever...) and use whichever functionality you want on it (e.g. a jfs fs on top of a raid6 fs) and only at the end use "encfs" to mount a virtual unencrypted device which will write all data to the underlying layers (again, e.g. a SSD using nilfs2 with "trim" functionality switched on) in encrypted form.

Sounded at the time like a great idea to decouple the encryption process from the filesystem (you still have the same advantages whichever filesystem you use, plus encryption) and it still seems to be to me.

Downsides:
1)
I don't know if Truecrypt was better but encfs uses always only 1 thread to encrypt a single stream of data that is being written => you max thoughput will be limited to the effectivity of the encryption algorithm that you use vs. the CPU that you have.
2)
(I think that) you cannot encrypt your whole rootfs - whatever is needed to boot and get into an operational state will have to be unencrypted (but I might be wrong).
3)
If you're writing file "A" and the system goes down (e.g. no power) then the whole file won't be readable anymore as its encrypted form won't be complete. I personally prefer this white&black situation than half-ok files.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearlseattle wrote:
My recommendation: encfs

This is fine for some directories, but probably not approrpiate for large parts of the system: Either you drop supports for some random seeds or some lengths will have to be recalculating meaning a real speed loss, especially for block-optimized databases (though I do not know whether such databases still exist nowadays).

Seriously, if you want encryption of a whole partition under linux, use dm-crypt: This is officially supported and likely continues to work as long as linux will exist, and has all advantages of truecrypt except for windows compatbility.
Quote:
If you're writing file "A" and the system goes down (e.g. no power) then the whole file won't be readable anymore as its encrypted form won't be complete

Have you tested this? I doubt it. A partially written encoded file should be partially decodable as well; in fact, encfs should not even be able to detect that the file is not completely written, since the length is not stored separately.
mhogomchungu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: alternatives to TrueCrypt Reply with quote

majoron wrote:

BR

There is TrueCrypt,the binary program and TrueCrypt,the on-disk format,these two are not the same thing.

cryptsetup can parse TrueCrypt on-disk format and this allows cryptsetup to unlock TrueCrypt volumes.

What tc-play can create and parse TrueCrypt on-disk format and this allows tc-play to create and unlock TrueCrypt volumes.

The on-disk format is well documented and known and its good enough[1]

This maybe the end of line for TrueCrypt,the binary program but i think its on-disk format should continue to live on as a "cross platform encrypted volume format". This is because the format is currently the most widely used if not the only one cross platform encrypted volume format.

All that it will take for the format to continue to live on with its current status is for windows and OSX block device encryption programs to support it.

[1] https://github.com/bwalex/tc-play/issues/57#issuecomment-44778858
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a side question:

Substituting TrueCrypt with BitLocker, LUKS or whatever for disks, partitions and directories is all fine, but what if you rely heavily on the cross platform container capability of truecrypt? How to substitute that?
  • We often build containers of different sizes on our Debian servers, put data into them, copy them on external NTFS hard drives, and our customers mount those under windows where they, surely enough, need to be able to open the containers. So Windows-only or Linux-only substitutes are a big no-no.
  • My personal data resides in a subfolder in my home directory. This folder is a RAIDZ (zfs) drive put together out of 7 truecrypt containers that are individually backed up.
  • My backup folders use the same technique apart from the fact that the 6 truecrypt containers are backed up using three different dropbox accounts.
How on earth is this to be substituted by anything else?

(My zpool configs:)
Code:
 ~ # zpool status bpool
  pool: bpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Thu Apr 17 12:29:34 2014
config:

NAME             STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        bpool            ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0       ONLINE       0     0     0
            truecrypt21  ONLINE       0     0     0
            truecrypt22  ONLINE       0     0     0
            truecrypt24  ONLINE       0     0     0
            truecrypt25  ONLINE       0     0     0
            truecrypt26  ONLINE       0     0     0
        spares
          truecrypt23    AVAIL   

errors: No known data errors
 ~ # zpool status ppool
  pool: ppool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h9m with 0 errors on Thu Apr 17 12:42:02 2014
config:

NAME             STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        ppool            ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-0       ONLINE       0     0     0
            truecrypt11  ONLINE       0     0     0
            truecrypt12  ONLINE       0     0     0
            truecrypt13  ONLINE       0     0     0
            truecrypt14  ONLINE       0     0     0
            truecrypt15  ONLINE       0     0     0
            truecrypt16  ONLINE       0     0     0
            truecrypt17  ONLINE       0     0     0
        spares
          truecrypt18    AVAIL   

errors: No known data errors

depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: alternatives to TrueCrypt Reply with quote

mv wrote:
krinn wrote:

It seems that currently there are no public informations which answer that. One can find many theories of various sorts, though...

I read in one spot that a little bird (warrant canary) died.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: