1%  [ 3 ]
I dont use either
12%
 12%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 276

petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reasons you use Gnome over KDE Reply with quote

So why do you like Gnome or KDE better over each other?
Bonkie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use KDE. No because I think its faster/better or whatever ... Because I like it more then Gnome or Fluxbox. Can't help it.
TPC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tried KDE, so I don't know if gnome, that I use, is better :)

I'm going to re-install next week, and I'll think I'll try fluxbox when I do that.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use KDE 3.1.3, but recently I just saw a few VERY beautiful Gnome 2.4 screenshots and deciding wether I should change... ah beautiful gnome... LOL... I'll wait for KDE 3.2 and if it fails my expectations I jump ships :D
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE has the better technology. GNOME has the better vision and focus. Both have good looks. And both work well. I use GNOME because of those rare one-of-a-kind applications you can't find anywhere else on the planet.

I'm talking about Epiphany, Evolution, Xchat, Gossip, Gimp, Jamboree/Rhythmbox, Ximian-openoffice, gnumeric, abiword. You get the idea. I'm biased towards GNOME/gtk2 applications.

They have a subtle feel, look and design about them that is inspiring. I also share GNOME's KISS (keep it simple, stupid) approach to their applications, desktop and development platform, as opposed to KDE's feature-centric approach.

So let me recap. GNOME is polished and easy to use. KDE is featureful and arguably the most powerful desktop environment I've used.

"My logic is undeniable."
professorn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted to Flux from Gnome, both are ok but I like Flux's menu etc.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a gnome user until GNOME 2.0
I've been a KDE user since then. GNOME 1.x was one of the best desktop environments I've used, but I really don't like GNOME 2.x.

If GNOME 2.6 is as good as GNOME 1.4 was, then I'll give it a shot again.

xfce4 has also gotten pretty good. I couldn't stand xfce3, but 4 is pretty nice. I have no reason to use it though, the only gtk apps I ever use are xmms (which is gtk1 and doesn't blend well into gnome 2.x or xfce4 anyways), and firebird (and thanks to Konq's cvs version and lovin from Safari, I'm using more and more often)

Last edited by shm on Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
mvr_rennes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use flux, but I think that KDE both looks and works better than GNOME.
Well, I don't know if "works better" is a good comparison... Anyway, it _feels_ better.
just my 2c.
M
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both are top notch desktop environments and I'm not suprised to see the poll split down the middle at the moment, as the KDE vs GNOME debate is mostly a matter of personal taste.

I like GNOME because I like clean and simple environments(I was a Window Maker user for the last 7 years) and I like how certain applets look and work within GNOME.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnome all the way. Why? Because most of my clients are businesses that want clean and simple with no eye-candy to distract the employees.Along with all the business apps (abiword, gnumeric, gnucash, etc..) Also, I too am biased towards gtk2 apps. They just look nicer to me somehow. QT just has this sorta XPish feel which I can't stand. As soon as abiwrod comes out with a bug-fix for 2.0 I will be migrating all my customers to it and away from open-office.
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like the look and feel of open-office, try the Ximian build of it. It looks very sharp and fits in nicely with the rest of GNOME.
Zeitgeist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used KDE until GNOME 2.0 came out and I tried that. I find it a lot nicer and easier to use and it is recieving a lot of corporate backing.
supreme_geek_overlord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use KDE because I downloaded it first and I have 56K, so I am too lazy to try GNOME.

Not that anyone cares. :lol:
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
gnome all the way. Why? Because most of my clients are businesses that want clean and simple with no eye-candy to distract the employees.

Yup, I think GNOME has the advantage there, because by default, it comes with pretty much a win9x-sh look, while KDE comes with more of the XP/OSX-ish Keramik (non-flat widgets). I know a lot of buisnesses switch to the "Windows Classic" visual style when installing XP. One can of course do the same thing in KDE (kpersonalizer runs by default on first login)

But I think if Linux ever makes inroads into other markets, it needs to be more XP and OSX-like in terms of default eyecandy.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at pictures of KDE 1.x, like http://www.kde.org/screenshots/images/medium/matthiase1.jpg , you'll see a MUCH larger resemblence to GNOME 2.4 than to KDE 3.1/3.2. The sidebar looks like Nautilus', the clock looks more like it does in GNOME, and the panel arrows are in the same direction as in GNOME (they are on the left of the icon in modern versions of KDE), the disclosure triangles are gtk/MacOS-ish, and hell, the theme is even extremely flat.

It's funny how GNOME used to be the desktop filled with features and configurability and just lookin purdy through eye candy, and KDE used to be the desktop that focused on simplicity, ease of use, and just lookin purdy though simpleness (which is why I hated KDE 1.x-2.x), but things have some how switched around.
Verteron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no particular affiliation and I always like to try out the latest builds of the "other desktop" to see how it's progressing. The "other desktop" at the moment is KDE, since for me right now, it's Gnome all the way.

Reasons... well, firstly I prefer a tightly integrated desktop and I use GTK2 apps. Gnome seems the obvious choice considering this fact. Also, despite working in IT and with computers all my life, being a programmer and computer scientist, I still find KDE's complexity too much. It just has too many options. The last time I did a serious analysis of it, it took me hours to get it the way I wanted, and when I'd finished, I found I couldn't find an option that I'd changed a few minutes ago. Infuriating! Gnome looks and works great out of the box (or the portage tree). I still found KDE's general look to be inferior to Gnome, but I am impressed with Plastik.

I am also very impressed with the professional attitude of the Gnome and GTK teams (yes, this may be because some of them are professionals paid by Sun, Redhat or IBM), and I like the transparency in their development and the fact that anyone is welcome to contribute to any part of the desktop at any time. I don't see this with QT, which despite being GPL'd still seems to be developed mostly behind closed doors.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verteron wrote:

Reasons... well, firstly I prefer a tightly integrated desktop and I use GTK2 apps. Gnome seems the obvious choice considering this fact. Also, despite working in IT and with computers all my life, being a programmer and computer scientist, I still find KDE's complexity too much. It just has too many options. The last time I did a serious analysis of it, it took me hours to get it the way I wanted, and when I'd finished, I found I couldn't find an option that I'd changed a few minutes ago. Infuriating! Gnome looks and works great out of the box (or the portage tree). I still found KDE's general look to be inferior to Gnome, but I am impressed with Plastik.

How is that possible?????

All of the configuration issues are located in the Control Center and quite frankly, the Center is not that complicated.

Erik
Achilles
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a silly reason to dislike kde, but I hate kde because it always displays that little flashing icon square when you are opening an application. It pisses me off. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? :D
Retriever II
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use KDE, it just feels better, and I've always liked the look of KDE/QT better than Gnome/GTK. I'm not all too concerned which is faster.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achilles wrote:
I know this is a silly reason to dislike kde, but I hate kde because it always displays that little flashing icon square when you are opening an application. It pisses me off. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? :D

run command->kcmshell kcmlaunch

then set busy cursor to no cursor. In KDE 3.2, there is a bouncing cursor choice, which rocks :P
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verteron wrote:
I still find KDE's complexity too much

Yeah, the MAJOR reason I can see for this are options being presented in a Tree-like fashion. A change to a icons view, like gnome or the classic MacOS springs up from time to time on kde developers mailing lists, but historically has been rejected because there isn't a _real_ good way to quickly search help. In KDE 3.2, a compromise has been made, and a settings:/ ioslave has been made. Screenshot at http://128.61.66.137/set.jpg

Verteron wrote:
I don't see this with QT, which despite being GPL'd still seems to be developed mostly behind closed doors.

While it's true that Qt's maintainer == TrollTech, KDE itself has it's own copy of Qt (sync'd with every Qt release), where many developers DO patch Qt. Many of these changes in qt-copy are changes that can't be accepted by TrollTech until a new MAJOR version of Qt (next being 4.0), because it often breaks compatability with one thing or another (or is a incorrect solution).. If you use the cvs ebuilds, btw, I highly recommend using qt-copy. It's a lot smoother than gentoo's qt is. It's more atuned for usage in a full desktop environment like KDE is, rather than individial cross platform apps like most qt-only apps are.

TrollTech accepts patches from the community however. They maintain the qt-bugs mailing list for that.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:

How is that possible?????

All of the configuration issues are located in the Control Center and quite frankly, the Center is not that complicated.

Erik

Yup, for my family computer, I use this instead of kcontrol:
Code:
kcmshell LookNFeel/{background,kwindecoration,style,colors,fonts,screensaver}

It produces something that looks like this: http://128.61.66.137/set2.jpg ... you can get a full list of options through kcmshell --list

KDE's admin capabilities are pretty awesome, especially with kiosk. You can practically remove all menu items from KDE apps with it, for example. It's all done with text files too. See http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use KDE, but only from CVS, mostly because of the apps.
I really like the new Konqueror, Juk is awesome, and Kopete is the best IM client I've ever seen.
I also couldn't work normally without Kile, Quanta and Cervisia. It makes everything just so much easier. And of course K3b, the burning program that is better then Nero on *that other platform*.

I must beginning to sound like a KDE zealot I think 8)
Just don't get me wrong. These things are all in CVS, and I did use KDE 3.1.x for some time, but:
Konqueror is miles behind Mozilla there (not so in CVS)
Juk is non-functional in it's stable release
Kopete is OK I think, but a bit crashy in the stable version.

Also, the new KDevelop (3.0) just makes me wanna crank out code, even though my knowledge of C is abominable....

Of course, I just tried Gnome only once after 2.0, it was 2.3.5 I believe. I just liked KDE from CVS much better then, so I never tried again.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have much experience with Gnome/Gtk, because I use KDE/qt, but Id like to know which one is more configurable in your opinion?
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fca wrote:
I use KDE, but only from CVS, mostly because of the apps.
I really like the new Konqueror, Juk is awesome, and Kopete is the best IM client I've ever seen.

Unfortunatly, kopete is totally useless to me since it does not support the use of a proxy with aim.

Erik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: