12%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 276

Verteron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:

How is that possible?????

All of the configuration issues are located in the Control Center and quite frankly, the Center is not that complicated.

Erik

Maybe I'm just thick, eh? ;)

But seriously, it's not the layout of the options, it's just that there's too many. Do I really want Konqueror and KDE's Terminal to have a huge settings menu as well as an options dialog? No. Do I need a clock applet with 5 tabbed pages of options? No. Do I, as an end user, need to decide whether my translucent menus should be created with a "Software" or "XRender" blend? No...

Also, I've never really understood the whole overlap between Styles, Themes, Window Borders and Colours in KControl. I also don't get why preferences for the web browser are in there, when Konqueror has its own settings dialog. I just don't know where to go to find options half the time. Why is Konqueror's preferences in KControl but no other application? Smacks of "browser integration" IMHO....

Don't get me wrong, I am not a hater (except towards KDE Zealots! But the same is true with any Zealots ;)) . I don't know which project has more momentum at the moment, but if Gnome stagnates and KDE pulls ahead, I'll switch and I won't shed many tears. But if KDE stagnates and Gnome pulls ahead, then fair enough too.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! :)

The clock configuration has only 2 tabs..

You can either configure a program from the control center or from within the program. It is the same menu.

One of the things that has been used against KDE and for Gnome is the multitude of configuration options. Some say that gnome is more configurable than KDE. I guess this is not the case anymore then?

I personally like KDE and XFCE4. I like KDE because it is very streamlined and makes my day more efficient. I like XFCE4 because it is slick and fast, but I mostly run it on my test machine.

Each to his or hers own :)

Erik
X
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used kde on occasion, and it's really nice. It has tons of apps for small things like ppp and fax that are somewhat overlooked in gnome. It's also very integrated...

Despite all that, I always switch back to gnome because I like the feel of it better. It's probably just because I started using gnome first. I also use a lot of gtk apps (Mozilla, gimp, Gaim, epiphany, sylpheed-claws, gnome-terminal, etc) and gnome seems to interface with them a bit better, plus I don't have to load qt and gtk.

I also like the gnome panel a whole lot more than kicker (I think that's the kde panel..). I'll be interested in a new KDE panel, slicker, I've heard a bit about somewhere.
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing between KDE and GNOME is that I think KDE tends to have a much busier interface:

Konqerer:
[img:4da6aa9e2a]http://loki.bisginc.com/~mmealman/konq.png[/img:4da6aa9e2a]

Epiphany:
[img:4da6aa9e2a]http://loki.bisginc.com/~mmealman/epiph.png[/img:4da6aa9e2a]

Some people will look at KDE and go "uhn, gaudy". Others will look at GNOME and go "boring, Zzzzz".
RedBeard0531
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
fca wrote:
I use KDE, but only from CVS, mostly because of the apps.
I really like the new Konqueror, Juk is awesome, and Kopete is the best IM client I've ever seen.

Unfortunatly, kopete is totally useless to me since it does not support the use of a proxy with aim.

Erik

Yes it does, it uses the same proxy config set up in kcontrol/konqui. Also, the only version worth using is the 3.2/cvs one. quite nice, and as of late, much more stable than gaim.

btw, im normaly a kde user, but i've herd so much greate stuff about gnome 2.4. Konqui cvs is in the dums right now with the safari merge, so i decided to give gnome a shot. It just doesnt work for me. Not configurable easily enough. I must say the font is quite purdy, so i might switch kde off of vera.

btw- is there an easy way to get rid off all off gnome. I'm kinda pissed that it like 60 some seporate pkgs that arnt grouped together. It is really bad on my continuasly full 3.5 Gig drive :evil:
chemaja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah the GNOME/KDE saga.... actually I'm glad they both exist: competition/choice is good. In my three years or so of using Linux-based operating systems, I, like many others, have not been able to make up my mind as to which I prefer.

I *want* GNOME to be my preferred desktop, but it's not. Here's why:

(1) Nautilus: I can't stand it. It doesn't feel "natural". I like to be able to easily use the keyboard to naviagate my filesystem. Where is the list of keyboard shortcuts, or the keyboard shortcut tips? I like to be able to right-drag files onto a target and get a context-menu of action options. I like the file tree being displayed by default. I like a whole bunch of functions at my disposal. Nautilus doesn't give me that. Maybe some these features are there, but if I can't figure out 80% of a GUI-based filemanager in 10 mins, there's something wrong.

(2) Open/Save dialog: Yes, I know its about to be upgraded, and I know there is tab-completion support in the current dialog, but the features I crave are not there *now*. KDE does it in style.

(3) Over-simplification: Not really a flaw. Simplicity is a cornerstone of GNOME's design philosophy, and that's cool. Just not for me.

I want KDE *not* to be my preferred desktop. Here's why:

Licencing: AFAIK, a developer can't develop a free KDE app, then decide to sell it. They have to decide the project's licence type at the outset. Quite inconvenient. However, I don't mind the fact that if a developer wants to develop a KDE app, they have to pay Trolltech a fee. If the developer is going to make money off their app, then they can give a bit back and help make Qt even better. I'm basing my facts here on what I've been told by an (apparently) knowledgeable friend of mine. If I'm wrong, please shoot me down and post a correction. Cbf'ed looking it up. :mrgreen:

Sex appeal: IMHO, GNOME just *looks* better than KDE, regardless of theming (although those KDE Plastik theme screenshots look awesome. It makes KDE look like GNOME -- something I've always wanted. Definately gonna try it out! :wink: ). Note, I'm not tallking about "advanced eye candy" (transparency, etc.), which I believe, KDE does better. Just the basic "look" of the desktop.

Geez. I didn't really mean to type that much. First time I've ever posted my thoughts on the whole KDE/GNOME thing. Ever. So I had to vent... :wink:

Last edited by chemaja on Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
slarti`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my experience goes something like this:

Knoppix + first taste of Linux and KDE
Full install of mandrake, enjoyed KDE
switched to GNOME to see what it was like
Switched to fluxbox with some really ugly settings

<--- break from linux --->

messing around with debian. KDE.
Installed Gentoo. Was using KDE 3.1.4 till quite recently.
Unmerged KDE/Qt off my system. Now a GNOME purist ;P

I think KDE is EXTREMELY well integrated and 'complete' and it is very functional, as well as great for beginners.

However, I think GNOME is, on the whole, better looking. I MUCH prefer gdesklets to karamba as well. I also think that commonly, GTK2 apps are a little better designed in terms of functionality, and interface, than Qt ones.

Evolution or KMail?
Gaim or Kopete?
Firebird or Konqi?
Rhythmbox or erm... Noatun?
Abiword or KWord?
etc..

GNOME interfaces definately follow the KISS principal mentioned earlier in this thread. And I love it, and I think it is more useable because of that. GNOME needs KDE's polish, which I think it is a long way to acheiving. The new versions of GTK look absolutely top, and GTK applications are maturing nicely.
RedBeard0531
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonic_ wrote:

I think KDE is EXTREMELY well integrated and 'complete' and it is very functional, as well as great for beginners.

However, I think GNOME is, on the whole, better looking. I MUCH prefer gdesklets to karamba as well. I also think that commonly, GTK2 apps are a little better designed in terms of functionality, and interface, than Qt ones.

sonic_ wrote:

Evolution or KMail? neither supports hotmail(that i know of) so no use t me
Gaim or Kopete? I honestly think kopete is better, or will be in the neer future. It supports irc passwords
Firebird or Konqi? Konqui all the way!!! kioslaves are the better than sliced bread. and have you seen fsveiw!?!
Rhythmbox or erm... Noatun? havent tried rhythmbox yet(soon) but noatun is nice with a k-joful skin
Abiword or KWord? abiword kicks ass. kword cvs has some nice stff, but it far from complete.it usualy the one gtk app I ever run.

GNOME interfaces definately follow the KISS principal mentioned earlier in this thread. And I love it, and I think it is more useable because of that. GNOME needs KDE's polish, which I think it is a long way to acheiving. The new versions of GTK look absolutely top, and GTK applications are maturing nicely.

I'm not a fan of the KISS meathod. It makes gnome feel less powerfull. It seems there is no unification, more like a bunch of apps the use gtk thrown together. With kioslaves, kcontrol, kparts, everything has a VERY consistant, and powerful feel to it. learn to use 1 kde app, you can use 'em all. No offence, but I think that a good number of kde haters never took the time to learn the advanced features. I'm trying gnome now, and finding there is no advanced features!!! How is this a good thing?
slarti`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some apps Qt apps, particularly KMail, have such stunningly poorly designed UIs IMO.

Gnome apps are simple, fast, pretty, clean, and do exactly what they say on the tin. That's how I like it ;) For everything else there's aterm :P
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome doesn't really need any advanced options, thats why there aren't any. KDE can control your whole system, true, but I dont really need my desktop to do that, xterm was written for a reason, u'know ;)

I prefer Gnome for its slick, clean look and its well written customizability (as opposed to settings-hell in KDE :) ).
duff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't say anything bad about GNOME.. seeing one of my officemates computer with Ximian/Gnome/Crux was the reason I switched to linux almost 2 years ago. But since last July I've been a dedicated Fluxboxer. I saw KDE on a friends comp with Mandrake about 3 or 4 years and it left such a bad impression of me I've never felt compelled to try it. And seeing some recent screenshots hasn't changed my opinion of it. Again, I've never used it, just saw it.
However, I have been liking what I've seen with Gnome 2.4..mostly in how Evolution has been changing on me. So right now I'm building a light Gnome2.4 and give it another shot. Does Gnome support desktop switching via the mouse wheel yet? That may the one feature that will turn me or not. :P
X
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of gnome's extra functionality has to be enabled using gconf-editor or a similar tool. For example, to change F1 to launch an arbitrary application, you have to edit /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands and the corresponding global_keybindings--there's no gui thing in the preferences that I have found.

I think It's a good method. Keep the interface simple, but allow for more advanced configuration without confusing gui clutter.
Verteron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBeard0531 wrote:

kioslaves, kcontrol, kparts

What makes you think Gnome doesn't have equivilents? Such as gnome-vfs, gconf2, and bonobo? There is a lot of consistency in Gnome/GTK apps because of the human interface guidelines. I find it a lot more consistent than KDE. For example, in Epiphany, Gaim, Gimp, Evolution & X-Chat, the settings dialog box can be found in the same place and looks and works the same.

The only non-consistent thing at the moment is that there's no unified editable toolbar control, but this is changing with GTK 2.4/Gnome 2.6.
Mr.Gone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: KDE over Gnome, and nagging guilt Reply with quote

I recently switched to KDE over GNOME.

For some reason, GNOME seems more.. ..open? Friendly? Less restrictive? I'm not sure what it is exactly, but Gnome seems like a desktop that, if it worked a bit more smoothly, could by far beat out KDE.

But:

After trying the newest KDE ebuild, I have, for the first time since I first started using linux five to six years ago, felt like I was in a cohesive, user-friendly, solid desktop system. I keep running into little features where I think, on impulse, "Oh! How nice!" ..rather than running into "Oh, I've got to go do this, then configure that, and.. ah! There we go. Just like I want it."

However, for whatever reason, there is a nagging guilt at using KDE. I feel like I'm going into a doomed relationship with KDE just because it's seducing me, rather than sticking with GNOME which I actually love, and will probably go running back to in the end.
slarti`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE over Gnome, and nagging guilt Reply with quote

Mr.Gone wrote:

However, for whatever reason, there is a nagging guilt at using KDE. I feel like I'm going into a doomed relationship with KDE just because it's seducing me, rather than sticking with GNOME which I actually love, and will probably go running back to in the end.

Wow, that's just like I feel when I use KDE ;)

It's complete, user friendly, and functional, but it's slow.. and it just doesn't feel right. The fact GNOME has GNU in it's name is probably something to do with it ;)
RedBeard0531
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verteron wrote:
RedBeard0531 wrote:
kioslaves, kcontrol, kparts
What makes you think Gnome doesn't have equivilents? Such as gnome-vfs, gconf2, and bonobo? There is a lot of consistency in Gnome/GTK apps because of the human interface guidelines. I find it a lot more consistent than KDE. For example, in Epiphany, Gaim, Gimp, Evolution & X-Chat, the settings dialog box can be found in the same place and looks and works the same. The only non-consistent thing at the moment is that there's no unified editable toolbar control, but this is changing with GTK 2.4/Gnome 2.6.

Gnome-vfs - I tryed the network:/// thing, but all i got was an add server icon. Nothing like lan:/. where can i find info on good plugins.

gconf - THIS IS CRAP!!! It reminds me of the horrors of regedit 8O!! kcontrol has a nice gui with all the options spelled out and explained, usally with a link to mor ehelp. gconf tells you the keyname and the datatype.

bonobo - I didnt notice a consistant feel.i really didnt notice any two progs that looked alike, with the exception of theme and icons.

About the settings - all kde apps have it in the same place: settings -> Configure <prog name>. the configs even use an identicle format.
LJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've switched from KDE when gnome 2.4 was released. It seems faster than older version (my primary complaint) and the themes look a lot more solid. KDE is just a bit more flakey.
Ari Rahikkala
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once KDE 3.2 is released, I'll see if I can burn some anime onto CD-Rs again to make space, and then install it like I've installed most new releases of KDE, GNOME and XFCE lately. And if everything goes like before, I'll be impressed, but also will have to restrain myself to be able to use it for longer than ten minutes. Then I will return to a hacked evilwm, lots of reverse-video xterms and Mozilla Firebird again anyway.

What's my opinion about KDE? I hate those endless rows of useless icons, drawn with plenty of bright yellows and cyans. The default colour scheme is revolting. Most applications have rather poorly thought out interfaces. Technologically it's unbelievable, its development is faster than anything I've ever seen in any other graphical desktop environment. KDE users seem to be able to take the tricks you can do with kioslaves for granted. Oh, and KDE's configurability borders the unprecendented.

What's my opinion about GNOME? It's a beautiful, simple, business-like environment. I'm not quite used to the almost complete absence of "Apply" buttons and, more generally, I don't really like the way (*) the dialogs for changing settings are designed in GNOME. Architectural changes such as GStreamer are hailed as great improvements in GNOME where it seems they would be almost trivial, everyday stuff in KDE. There are many applications that are written in GTK+ and come more or less from the GNOME world, enough that you could call them GNOME apps, that are simply... killer. Mystilleef put it better than I could. I switched from cplay to rhythmbox even though it seems to be rather buggy at least with the GStreamer back-end simply because... OK, I know, it's an iTunes clone but still, the interface is Just Right for me. Much better than xmms, anyway.

(*) If I wasn't aware that people would kick me for it, I would use the word "paradigm" here
Verteron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBeard0531 wrote:
Gnome-vfs - I tryed the network:/// thing, but all i got was an add server icon. Nothing like lan:/. where can i find info on good plugins.

Hardly Gnome's fault. I don't mean to be offensive but if your system isn't properly configured you can hardly blame the desktop environment...

Quote:
gconf - THIS IS CRAP!!! It reminds me of the horrors of regedit 8O!! kcontrol has a nice gui with all the options spelled out and explained, usally with a link to mor ehelp. gconf tells you the keyname and the datatype.

It was only an example. Gnome doesn't have a centralized control panel, prefering smaller single program applets. When I use the KDE control panel and unable to swith between "modules" without saving or discarding changes, I wish it would also be separated out.

Most users shouldn't use GCONF, I can quite happily configure everything I sensibly want using the extensive Desktop Preferences menu. GCONF is nothing like the Windows registry - all it is is a simple interface to a set of XML files under ~/.gnome. You can even read them directly if you like with vim.

Quote:
bonobo - I didnt notice a consistant feel.i really didnt notice any two progs that looked alike, with the exception of theme and icons.

OK, if you say so.

Quote:
About the settings - all kde apps have it in the same place: settings -> Configure <prog name>. the configs even use an identicle format.

Same with Gnome. You'll find a pretty similar settings box at the bottom of the edit menu. QT is an admittedly superior toolkit in some ways. But this is what you'll get when you have a professional company that is only interested in its profits developing it for you. I see they're attempting to charge people $1,500 for developing closed source QT applications these days. I personally don't have this kind of capital up front.
Toth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice alot of people saying that GNOME is faster for them yet I've always found KDE/QT to be much more responsive. For example, clicking on a menu in a GTK2 program often lags for just a fraction of a second, but there is no such lag in QT apps. I do have an older laptop though...maybe GTK runs better than QT on modern CPUs.

Edit: I don't know exactly what the QT license is like but $1500 is not unreasonable for developing a commercial application. Ideally, if you're developing a commercial application you intend to make money off of it (and hopefully more than $1500).
Verteron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
Edit: I don't know exactly what the QT license is like but $1500 is not unreasonable for developing a commercial application. Ideally, if you're developing a commercial application you intend to make money off of it (and hopefully more than $1500).

On its own, it's not unreasonable to charge this kind of money for commercial development. But the point is this; competition makes business. Why should I pay Trolltech when I can create GTK, Motif, Windows, Mac OS X or Java closed source commercial applications for nothing? It's not terribly encouraging. Additionally, one thing still stands in the way. Say Trolltech go bust, stop producing QT. KDE will survive because it's GPL'd. But what about commercial developers? They can no-longer use the QT toolkit so their products and profits are ruined. This is also the case with Windows and Mac OS X, but crucially it is *not* the case with QT's nearest competitor, GTK, which is licensed under the LGPL instead.

Things are just too transient in the Linux community to rely on another company in this manner. I am a strong believer in open source software and do not develop closed source applications. However, what of Ximian and Sun, who both decided not to use QT for exactly these reasons? Sun even lamented that they would have considered buying Trolltech and re-releasing QT under the LGPL because it is superior to GTK in some ways. But alas they did not.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone who runs KDE 3.2 alpha post screenshots of Konqueror? Id like to see how much the thing changed.
Thanx
Retriever II
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sort of amuses me how many of you tie GTK/QT applications so strictly to their respective desktops (Gnome/KDE).

Well, I don't know anything about running QT applications in Gnome, but I'm running KDE, and I run plenty of GTK apps without a second thought. I use Mozilla over Konqueror, I use Gaim, I use Gimp.

Software has almost no bearing on my decision to use KDE, the desktop just feels better to me. Granted, QT apps are a bonus because they interface well, and I'm sure Gimp would look nicer in Gnome than it does right now. I put the Crux theme on Gaim so it matches ok, and Mozilla has it's own little system for theming (Since I used Mozilla in Windows, it seemed logical to use Mozilla over Konquerer).
slarti`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozilla isn't actually GTK at all unless you compile it with the gtk2 USE flags. It (and all it's spinoffs) look 100x better using GTK2 though.
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ari Rahikkala wrote:
What's my opinion about KDE? ... The default colour scheme is revolting.

Well you can always change it. In fact it's very easy to change the colours in KDE. It seems to be impossible in GNOME unless you can find a theme where the colours match your taste, otherwise you are forced to hand-edit the theme files which is far beyond newbie territory.

Many people say KDE has too many customisation options, in my opinion there is no such thing as "too many customisation options". The only time that can become a problem is if you have a massive list of options all on one page and it takes a lot of effort to find what you want to change.

But KDE isn't like that, the Control Centre is nicely laid out tree-style with all options described in plain English. Take changing the colours for example, in the control centre you see "Appearance & Themes", so you expand that and you see "Colours", so you click that and voila! An easy way to change the colours. Much more simpler and gets the job done far more efficiently than manually editing theme files!

Another thing about "too many customisation options" is if you don't have time to explore them all, do it later! You can pour over the different options when you have time and, over time, gradually personalise your desktop to however you want it to appear, far more easily and flexibly than any GNOME user could.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: