new installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: new installation Reply with quote

Hi folks,

well, i´m going to install again gentoo in my new drive this weekend and would like to test several things in this new install:

- prelink -> i have read the faq. Is it possible to emerge prelink before bootstrap?? I´m not sure and i think this maybe could break something...
Will try it anyway.

- trying agressive flags-> pentium 4. What would you use ?? maybe:
march=pentium4 -fPIC -O2 -ftracer -pipe -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -funroll-loops -ffast-math -mmmx -msse -msse2 -s ( seems to be stable to most people using it).
Any improvments ?? -O2 or -Os ??

- i have been using vanilha sources 2.6.0-test1 ac patched without any big troubles. If I install gentoo in another drive and use the same sources and kernel, i think i could use the same image for loading. Have never tried it, what do you think??
Have read several posts about love-sources and would try them. BUT i need ac patches, could these be pacthed??
AND i have been using OSS instead alsa ( disabled in the kernel) and would like to give it a try. Any trouble if i need support for both?? Or should I only work with alsa??

- using ufed i discovered lots of uses i didn´t know ( great programm).
Should i really use them ( comment / uncomment) all or has it more sense using USE="whatever" with emerge? I have been playing around with the uses and portage for a while, and have now a strange behaviour ( things that are emerged, portage says they aren´t and so on)

What else could I test?? It´s for my personal use, so betas are welcome :D

Thanx in advance for any tip.

Bye!
klarnox
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will do you any good emerging prelink before bootstrapping, though I could be wrong.

I use pentium4 in my flags and it has worked just fine for me so far. As for the other flags I can't really comment as I haven't played with them to much.

I personally haven't used love-sources, but I would think you should be able to add the ac patch.

I've been using alsa in the 2.6 series of kernels and it has been working very well for me so far. I have heard that trying to use alsa and oss can cause problems. I hated alsa when using earlier kernels because of all the hassle, but that's really not there anymore... just compile it with the kernel and you're pretty much ready to go.

You don't say what sort of hardware you're working with so the only other thing I might suggest trying out is cd burning without scsi emulation, if you have a cd burner.
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your lines !
Yes, i have just read about prelinking and i should not be done before bootstrap. So i will avoid this.
I have also set up atapi burning for my cdrw and have no troubles so far.

I´m not sure about this but don´t think the ac patches will match ( will try anyway). There are only ac patches for test1. Let´s see what happen...
I think the hardware optimization should be covered with the compiler flags, hdparm, a sane kernel conf, etc, etc... or not ?

I was thinking more about playing with software optimization ( like prelink).

Any more tips ??

thanx again and greetz
magnet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-mfpmath=sse,387 should be better than -mfpmath=sse . 8)
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Magnet ! I will change this.
Some more tips??

Thanks and greetz
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: